Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a bit concerned... I got this brand new Q60 in August. Two weeks later a rock hit my windshield that got kicked up due to construction on a highway and it broke. Not a little break, but I line from top driver side down to bottom passenger side. I had to go through my insurance and the glass company had to order 3 of them because they kept breaking upon delivery. Straight from Infiniti direct.
Ok... I drive a LOT. I’ve put 11,000 miles on it in 7 months. But nothing is new and my Audi A5 used to get winged with rocks and the glass NEVER broke.
Yesterday I was driving on the highway in a rain storm on a major interstate and I heard another rock hit my windshield. I was concerned and looked, but didn’t see anything. Low and behold this morning, there was a crack in the windshield right in my line of site that resembled a bullet hole in bullet-proof glass. My friend was looking at the glass and noticed a second crack above the passenger side as well.
Has anyone else been having issues with their windshield glass?
Honestly between that and the interior plastic scratching from my 11 year old getting in and out of the car, I’ve lost all confidence in my decision to go from Audi to Infiniti.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I broke my original windshield on a road-trip to Florida complements of a random rock kicked up by a big-rig. My replacement window is an aftermarket, and while it looks/fits good, I'm having issues with the rain-sensing wipers and it never gets truly clean (thin sheet of oil in certain areas that I can't seem to clean off). Back to my point, I'm at 115k and broke my windshield once.

I hope your issues are just a stretch of bad luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think OEM glass is rather easy to crack. I had my glass replaced 3 times. The 2 replacements were OEM and the third, I used a suggested aftermarket by Safelite glass called Fuyao glass. I was hesitant at first because Fuyao is a Chinese auto glass company based in China. I did some research and found out that Fuyao auto glass for the US is made domestically in the US from a plant in Ohio. Fuyao has a close partnership with PPG glass, a renown auto glass makers that also provides auto glass for imports. A good number of Fuyao glass were re-branded PPG glass. Fuyao eventually purchased a huge PPG facility in Illinois that re-enforced their US operations.

The glass quality is very good. There are no waves, no inconsistent infraction of light noticed, the cut out for the cameras, rain sensors are spot on and no leaks on heavy rains even when I was driving during hurricane Harvey. Most importantly, they seems to hold better than OEM glass. I had a number of rock strikes on long drives and the heavier ones just got me a very tiny chip on the glass that you barely noticed it's there unless you know where the spot is. I do regular 80 miles and back drives to visit my son in college so far, knock on wood, the glass is holding out fine.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think OEM glass is rather easy to crack. I had my glass replaced 3 times. The 2 replacements were OEM and the third, I used a suggested aftermarket by Safelite glass called Fuyao glass. I was hesitant at first because Fuyao is a Chinese auto glass company based in China. I did some research and found out that Fuyao auto glass for the US is made domestically in the US from a plant in Ohio. Fuyao has a close partnership with PPG glass, a renown auto glass makers that also provides auto glass for imports. A good number of Fuyao glass were re-branded PPG glass. Fuyao eventually purchased a huge PPG facility in Illinois that re-enforced their US operations.

The glass quality is very good. There are no waves, no inconsistent infraction of light noticed, the cut out for the cameras, rain sensors are spot on and no leaks on heavy rains even when I was driving during hurricane Harvey. Most importantly, they seems to hold better than OEM glass. I had a number of rock strikes on long drives and the heavier ones just got me a very tiny chip on the glass that you barely noticed it's there unless you know where the spot is. I do regular 80 miles and back drives to visit my son in college so far, knock on wood, the glass is holding out fine.
Yep, the Fuyao plant is like 10 minutes from my house here in Dayton, Ohio. I've heard good things about the products made there, although the Dayton Daily News published a piece questioning their work conditions. not much else that I can say about it, other than I got a smile to see them in your post, and a good feeling knowing that if I need to have my windshield replaced that they make them there

1 - 5 of 5 Posts