Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2nd Day after I picked up my all new 2016 QX60 AWD, I found the HID headlight turn yellowish after 20-30 second start up. See the pic, the lights is white and cool when start up then after 20-30 second they turn yellow then stay like that until I turn off and turn back on. Want to know if anyone else experience this issue and will the warranty cover this. I will call my sales guy Monday and talk about replacing. I will keep update. This really ruined my excitement about this car, bummer!

Attachments

·
Registered
663 Posts
Mine does the same thing but happens much quicker, maybe 5 seconds. When I first turn them on it looks blue-tinge, then settles on a more traditional yellow. FYI, mine is a 2013 model (not sure that matters).

Did the lights stay blue on the 1st day then changed to yellow on the 2nd, or is this the first time you're noticing them?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine does the same thing but happens much quicker, maybe 5 seconds. When I first turn them on it looks blue-tinge, then settles on a more traditional yellow. FYI, mine is a 2013 model (not sure that matters).

Did the lights stay blue on the 1st day then changed to yellow on the 2nd, or is this the first time you're noticing them?
At the very night I drove the new car back home from Dealer I noticed the headlights are yellowish. I went home test for several times, they turn blue to yellow after 10-20 seconds. I'll say the performance of the lights are not affected by much, but I just don't like a brand new car has that on the first day

·
Registered
83 Posts
Pretty standard. As the bulbs warm up they will change color.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
yes, mine does this too. I think its pretty standard. The QX60 headlights suck bigtime anyway (at least the 2015s) - there are a bunch of threads on this already.

·
Registered
22 Posts
yes, mine does this too. I think its pretty standard. The QX60 headlights suck bigtime anyway (at least the 2015s) - there are a bunch of threads on this already.
Great to me... what makes them suck? They light up the road well, and you can,set the height of them through a knob I mean can't be that kind feature.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just took delivery on a 2016 that replaced our 2008 Acura MDX. Prefer the color quality of the xenons in the QX greatly over the Acura's. I asked our salesman and others at the dealer about the xenons because we had several problems in the Acura (including rEdiculous pricing on repair when one of the bulbs went out). Apparently, the technology has improved although I would have preferred LED (which the fogs are) to xenon.

I concur with the others about color "changes" being somewhat SOP on these.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Great to me... what makes them suck? They light up the road well, and you can,set the height of them through a knob I mean can't be that kind feature.

Just the amount of light output. Esp. in rainy dark conditions - my other car is a Prius with LED lights and it kills it. The QX60 headlights look like candle lights in comparison.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just the amount of light output. Esp. in rainy dark conditions - my other car is a Prius with LED lights and it kills it. The QX60 headlights look like candle lights in comparison.
The Prius also sits lower to the ground, hence the feeling of a brighter output closer to the car and ability to project the beam more forward without blinding other drivers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The Prius also sits lower to the ground, hence the feeling of a brighter output closer to the car and ability to project the beam more forward without blinding other drivers.

That may be true to some degree, but then if u compare my Prius (with LED lights) with other Prius' (without LED lights), the difference is very clear. The Prius (model 5) just has SUPERIOR lights, full-stop.

(and I am sorry to say - the QX60 lights suck. Just compare them to say the MDX - again, a massive letdown by Infiniti on that. I do hope they fixed it in the 2016 model). I am looking to mod my lights, but I am a bit wary of touching anything electrical, esp. adding new ballasts, wiring, etc. Also I hear the projectors are at fault so adding lumens to the bulb is only going to help a bit at the cost of blinding oncoming drivers... :(

·
Registered
225 Posts
A bit of a rant alert... I'm not picking on anyone, just giving my opinion/experience... Worth, maybe, what you are paying for it.

The lights on the QX60 are less intense and have a shorter throw than many others out there. Compared to the class, they are worse, no question. But, live with them for a while and you realize there are safe/fine.

We are used to vehicles with mods where bright lights are installed but they are unsafe. Not for the driver but for oncoming traffic! When you have longer throw, in general, that causes a higher angle and/or brighter output which causes issues for other drivers. This drives me nuts (pun intended).

Also, whiter lights seem more intense for the same lumens as more yellow lights (and blue continues this "apparent" brightness scale). Don't be fooled, you can still see the stopped car, pedestrian, deer, etc. at a safe distance with the factory lights.

I came from an Escalade and thought the same thing; these lights suck. But after a couple of months realized they were fine and nobody was flashing their lights at me, which happened almost daily with the 'lade.

Please, don't put higher output lights in, blinding other drivers. Please don't dive around with your fogs on, either, unless it's foggy! Think about the other drivers around you and not just your impression of the world. Everyone will thank you (or at least not curse you).

Cheers!

·
Registered
83 Posts
... and nobody was flashing their lights at me, which happened almost daily with the 'lade.
Amen to that - although on the humorous side, no one seems to even care EVEN if my high-beams are on in the QX60. These lights are pretty weak (ok, I'll stop saying that).

Please, don't put higher output lights in, blinding other drivers. Please don't dive around with your fogs on, either, unless it's foggy! Think about the other drivers around you and not just your impression of the world. Everyone will thank you (or at least not curse you).
+1 to that. This is why I'll have to very seriously consider living with the factory lights rather than modding them. Or do it in a way it wont jeopardize road safety.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I agree the lights are "weak" compared to others, but I found I don't care so much after living with them for a while (2+ years, but I stopped caring after a few months).

·
Registered
83 Posts
IIHS Study Shows Manufacturer Headlights Are Mostly Crap
By: Eric WeinerMarch 30, 2016

Of 82 headlights tested on a 31 vehicles in different price ranges and with different technologies, only one—the Toyota Prius v with LED lights and high-beam assist—earned a Good rating. “The Prius v’s LED low beams should give a driver traveling straight at 70 mph enough time to identify an obstacle on the right side of the road, where the light is best, and brake to a stop,” said IIHS senior research engineer Matthew Brumbelow, in a statement. But before you run out to buy a Prius v, know that the same model with the standard halogen lights earned a Poor rating, and that you would need to drive 20 mph slower in the same conditions to avoid the same crash.
Not at all surprised to see the Prius w/LED lights leading the chart :). I guess I have been comparing with The Champ of headlights with the QX60, my bad. >:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts