Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
Got home yesterday and for some reason just decided to walk around and look at my tires..... and found this on my right rear passenger tire - see photo.
A dam wood screw at top edge of my sidewall.:crying:

Not repairable I'm told by America's Tire shop.

So the question is can I replace only 2 tires - the rear ones - or replace all 4 due to the AWD system in the car?
I've 22000 miles on the tires and the tread depth looks good

Owner's manual says:
"When replacing a tire, use the same size, tread design, speed rating and load carrying capacity as originally equipped. Recommended types and
sizes are shown in “Wheels and tires” in the “Technical and consumer information” section of this manual.

WARNING: The use of tires other than those recommended or the mixed use of tires of different brands, construction (bias, bias-belted or radial), or tread patterns can adversely affect the ride, braking, handling, VDC system, ground clearance, body-to-tire clearance, tire chain clearance, speedometer calibration,headlight aim and bumper height. Some of these effects may lead to accidents and could result in serious personal injury.

If your vehicle was originally equipped with 4 tires that were the same size and you are only replacing 2 of the 4 tires,install the new tires on the rear axle. Placing new tires on the front axle may cause loss of vehicle control in some driving conditions and cause an accident and personal injury."

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
Sounds like your tires are about half-life (half used at 22K). Recommendation is always to get new and to replace both rear tires.

You should also consider buying a used tire. There is a huge aftermarket of used, perfectly good tires. Get one that fits the rim (same size) and you'll be the only one that notices (with a bunch of extra money in your wallet). Doesn't make sense to throw out tires that have another 22K miles left.

Besides, someone is just going to buy your partially used tires.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks @bsnguy and @yeller for your feedback.
Tire shop checked and I've got about 8/32 tread depth left around all 4 tires.
Called dealer and service advisor recommends only replacing the 2 tires in the rear with the same brand tires as the front 2- Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport AS.
So ordered 2 new Bridgestone Dueler and waiting for them to arrive - should arrive this afternoon.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
/\/\ That sounds like the most reasonable approach. Oh, and I'd consider rotating them to the front. Fronts wear out faster on this car.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
/\/\ That sounds like the most reasonable approach. Oh, and I'd consider rotating them to the front. Fronts wear out faster on this car.
Thanks @Sinecure
You bring up an interesting point - most shops recommend the newer tires be placed in the rear.
Yes - planning to rotate the new tires to the front by end of year.
The QX60 is primarily front wheel drive correct?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts