Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has had a 2016 QX60, since new. We have had a unique problem with the GPS navigation screen in the past six months. It has been inspected by two different Infiniti dealerships, with the problem not being resolved, as they "could not duplicate the problem". This is in spite of providing screen shots on her phone as to what was actually taking place on the GPS screen.
This is only occurring on lengthy trips lasting approximately three hours or more. Initially, the detail on the screen begins to disappear as far as streets, scenery etc. This is eventually followed by icons gradually disappearing (miles to destination, speed limit etc). Finally, we are left looking at a blank screen with only the vehicle icon and one road being displayed, even if we are in a city with multiple roads. Then the vehicle icon freezes completely. We are unable to program anything further at that point.
Turning the vehicle off and on does not correct the problem, unless the duration is longer than a few minutes (fuel stops etc). Once this problem initially occurs, it seems to reappear much quicker the next time (45 minutes as opposed to three hours).
On our last trip, the system rebooted on its own while driving. We hoped that the problem was solved, but it returned an hour later.
Obviously this isn't something that I can repair myself, but I'd like to be able to point the technicians in the right direction, as they seem unable to find any previous examples that match our problem.
Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m having virtually the same problem with my 2016 QX60 as kplange with the nav system and other screens. Very frustrating and Infiniti’s been telling me for over a year that they’re working on it. I didn’t pay this kind of money for a product with a manufacturer’s defect that they can’t seem to be able to fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The master unit was replaced under warranty in my QX60 but that did NOT fix the problem. On the first long drive after replacement, the exact same problem happened. Still nothing from Infiniti about a solution. Getting tired waiting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Still no resolution

UPDATE: Infiniti replaced the master AV unit again this week and the identical problem continues. This is the second replacement. They have no idea what is causing this system failure. It's a "Let's try this" and see what happens. At their request, my iPhone was unpaired and my Garmin GPS was removed to see if these non-Infiniti items may be triggering the problem. This made no difference. I took photos of the various screen so that a record of the issues I encounter could be passed on and has been. They now want to have "one of their people" take the veh. on a long drive to see if the problem happens with one of "their people" driving. This will happen Monday coming.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi. I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago. 2016 we just bought a couple months ago, on a long trip of around close to 3 hours the screen did the same thing. We made a stop for maybe 10 minutes and upon turning the car on again it went away. this was the second trip of around 3 hours, first time didn't do it

·
Registered
416 Posts
Sounds like a software issue to me. Have them give you the latest Nav DVD and reload the software. Don’t use the disk that came with your car. See if that helps

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi I bought a 2017 fully loaded Qx60 from our dealership last night. This morning within 5 minutes of driving my daughter to school the NAV screen started having horrible lines in color.

The screen didnt work lots of fuzzy lines flickering and going up & down like a tv or computer monitor going out.
Radio volume would not go up or down
Defrost couldn't be adjusted

Once I turned the car off it went back to normal.

Anybody else experience this and how did Infiniti fix it.

I am concerned this could be an electrical issue.

2017 QX60 40k miles

Any insight will be appreciated.

Tex

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
I had that problem on our JX. Were on a 10,000 mile cross country trip and it did that same thing in Virginia. It happened several times when we were near Federal compounds like the FBI facility. Once we left the area the problem went away. The same thing happened when we purchased one 2016 QX60. It did the same thing on 4 occasions and has never failed again even on extended trips.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Problem continued for me, anything around 2.5 hours or more and screen freeze occurred and happened regularly and consistently at that time interval. Lucky for me after car off 10 minutes or so would be back to normal.

On two occasions took video and pictures and upon seeing it they got approval to replace unit. I just recently had my unit replaced under warranty. The guy at the dealership said it was an issue that was recognized and supposedly fixed. Next long trip will see if that is actually the case. Hope it is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
2016 QX60
Had the same problem where after 2.5 hours or so map on screen would disappear until basically had almost a blank screen
The whole system was just replaced under warranty
First long trip less than a week after replacement and ... same thing happened
Not happy, to say the least

·
Registered
23 Posts
update... after the screen replacement and problem recurred, they swapped out the screen again as well as the rest of the unit - radio, hard drive, etc i gues
first long trip. 2,5 hours in... frozen screen exactly the same again
sent pictures and videos and dealer said they would get back to me on whats nextr

·
Registered
2 Posts
Am encountering the same issue with the gps/maps glitching and then freezing in my 2017 QX60. Only happens after about 3 hours of driving. Slowly but surely all the buttons stop working...can’t even change the radio station or even turn down the volume.

Seems to reset itself after being parked for a little while.

Am taking it to the dealer for an oil change - am really hoping they have this figured out by now and we can all get a solution.

·
Registered
416 Posts
So I had something like that happen to me after I purchased and updated the map files in the nav. I have 2014, never updated the files, and never had any issues. Anyway, I was driving north on I-95 and took recently opened HOV lanes...nav unit freak out and locked up similar to what you describe. On the previous map load, the road wasn't there, but the Nav continued to operate normally. As I said, have a 2014 and never had any issues, even driving across the United States, until the l purchased and loaded the latest nav map update. If I don't use GPS directions on that specific stretch of HOV lanes, it works fine. I believe what you are encountering is S/W glitch related to the map files in the GPS unit for the specific road you are taking. If there's a later map S/W update, I would install it and see if that fixes it. You could also try reinstalling an early map file and see if the works.

Have you tried contacting the GPS map provider and let know the road you're on when the unit locks up? Maybe there is a fix, or perhaps they are unaware there is an issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same exact issues with my 2016 - few hrs on a long trip nav starts to get crazy. Slowly the icons go away and sometimes we see the same road multiple times. It’s wild. This happened in SC NC and VA - I don’t believe it has anything to do with specific roads.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to hear...well it certainly appears to be nationwide if it occurred to you too in NC/SC/VA...mine does it on our regular drive between CA and AZ on the 15 and 40 freeways.

Conducted a test by not mapping the destination on our most recent drive and it STILL tripped up.

Took it in for an oil change at the Infiniti dealer and they had no idea about the issue...technician claimed it could be caused by my CB radio. Unfortunately the issue started long before that got installed so I’m confident that’s not the case.

Hopefully they’ll figure this out soon! Thankful that the GPS is just there for reassurance and I typically know where I’m driving on these long trips.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi. After a lot of time at the dealer, they believe they have resolved the issue for me. I say may because i have yet to take a 2.5 hour trip, but they validated that their fix worked

After a multiple screen and nav unit replacements and no change, they found they could duplicate the problem by letting it run for 2.5 hours - and not needing to drive it.

Working with Infiniti corporate they were told to disconnect everything and reconnect one at a time to see what caused the problem.

Turns out if was the telematics control unit - when they disconnected it, problem did not occur, They replaced it, and they cycled it a few times for 2.5 hours and problem did not recur.

So kudos to them for their diligence, cant wait to take a long trip and see that it worked.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts