Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Confused by all the different colors on the map when using NAV Traffic subscription service? Here's the answer in my story below.

I have been paying for NAV Traffic from the start but was confused about how to read what it was telling me on the map. Calls to Infiniti and XM support were worthless. They kept telling me "green means free flowing, yellow is stop and go and red is bad" and I kept telling them, "I see all of those colors on the exact same segment of the road at the same time (see attachment). What does that mean?

After Googling and digging through different parts of the owner's manual, I finally learned what is going on.

1) All highways are RED on the map. (Yes, bad traffic is also represented by red. oops)

2) If you are currently using navigation to get directions to a destination, that route is shown on the map in yellow. (Yes, slow and go traffic is also represented in yellow. oops)

3) The one color you want to pay attention to is the tiny strip on the far right of all the other colors. That is the traffic information. In the US, the outer color on right side = your traffic, outer color on left side is the opposite direction. (Don't confuse it with inner red which means you're on a highway, or inner yellow which means you're traveling a route in the nav system)

So recapping, if you are on a highway using navigation for directions and the maps shows yellow in the middle, flanked by red, flanked by green on both sides, the traffic is free flowing (yellow=navigation route, red = highway, outer green = traffic info)

EXTRA INFO

Check the "Traffic Info on Route" from the INFO button (sorry, I forget the exact path, but go to INFO and you'll find it) for a list of specific information for problems ahead on the route you are traveling. It will tell you how far away the problem is, give you info on average speed through that area, etc.

This is all for a 2004 QX60h, don't know if they have changed this "feature set" since.

(Infiniti makes some really horrible design choices, especially for a "luxury" brand. This is just one of the many horrible designs.)

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
This is all for a 2004 QX60h, don't know if they have changed this "feature set" since.
I'm gonna assume you meant a 2014. :D

Great post. There is alot going on when utilizing the Nav system so I'm sure many will find this helpful. I've been using this system since I purchased my 2008 QX56 and find it an invaluable service due to the traffic in my city.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts