Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feeling very angry/frustrated/uncertain at the moment...my story:

Decided on a beautiful, brand new 2015 QX60 on Friday, 12/4 in Brevard County, Florida. After a perfect test drive and positive sales experience at the local dealer we pulled the trigger on the new vehicle. Drove it home and loved it even more. A beautiful, luxurious-feeling SUV.

The very next day on Saturday morning drove it about 30 miles from home and began to experience intermittent rough shifting while accelerating onto a highway on-ramp. At first thought maybe the rough shifting was my imagination. Then throughout the weekend the problem became more severe and constant when the transmission was trying to shift into another higher gear. There was severe vibration in the cabin and an obvious metallic clicking noise that seemed to be coming from the engine compartment while accelerating, during a transmission gear change. By Sunday this was happening repeatedly and there was even flickering of the headlights and static in the radio and during bluetooth phone calls during some rough "shifts." We then stopped driving it as it seemed unsafe. There were no "check engine" lights or other warnings evident though.

Brought it into service first thing Monday morning and waited all day for a phone call with a diagnosis from my Infiniti dealer. By 4 pm still no phone call and we called in. Was told "we're working on a diagnosis with the factory." On our brand new car during the first weekend of driving! :eek:

Found out this morning that a new transmission has been ordered. No "I'm sorry" from service, no call from my salesman saying, "I'm sorry this happened to you." Nothing. The voicemail from service announcing this seemed totally unemotional and indifferent.

This is my third Infiniti...I have owned an FX and an M class in years past and was completely satisfied with those vehicles. Now, however my impression of Infiniti has completely changed. Please someone help me get through this :(

·
Registered
225 Posts
Consider yourself lucky!? What are the odds... I had a similar experience with a Cadillac many years ago. But be warned that now people will think this is the transmission judder all over again (sure doesn't sound like it!).

"Customer caring" is really dependent on the people/dealer and what expectations they have. You are getting good customer service (assuming you have a suitable loaner at no charge to you... And by that I mean something that gets the job done for you given you bought a qx60... If you need the space on a daily basis, they should loan you qx60). But they are all business and don't seem to go the extra mile to show you they care or empathize with you. Try to separate those... If, however, you don't get good service (like no loaner or communication or poor work) that's when you should certainly start calling the service manager, sales manager and Infiniti customer service to get answers and service.

My nickel...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your post.

Hard to say if this is a variation of the whole "judder" issue. I am just now learning of that by reading past comments on the CVT problems of the past, now that I am having a problem. Naturally I'm concerned this will be a chronic issue going forward, but hoping for a good outcome. Dealer did provide a loaner, though a sedan.

No word yet on how long it will be before a new transmission arrives. I also don't know if it will be a new or remanufactured tranny. I'll keep the forum posted on our progress :)

Consider yourself lucky!? What are the odds... I had a similar experience with a Cadillac many years ago. But be warned that now people will think this is the transmission judder all over again (sure doesn't sound like it!).

"Customer caring" is really dependent on the people/dealer and what expectations they have. You are getting good customer service (assuming you have a suitable loaner at no charge to you... And by that I mean something that gets the job done for you given you bought a qx60... If you need the space on a daily basis, they should loan you qx60). But they are all business and don't seem to go the extra mile to show you they care or empathize with you. Try to separate those... If, however, you don't get good service (like no loaner or communication or poor work) that's when you should certainly start calling the service manager, sales manager and Infiniti customer service to get answers and service.

My nickel...

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would say this is not the judder. This is not intermittent, and rare, from your description. You have a full powertrain warranty left so that should give you piece of mind, too.

I would call every day to see the status of the repair. I had a bad tranny in a BMW, also, and they told me it would be a week to ship one from Germany. I said WTF and called BMW North America and they found one in Chicago and it was in my car the next day! That's where the national customer support group might be able to help.

Good luck!

(Also, if you really need the space, I'd ask for a SUV loaner. You deserve it especially if this will take more than a day or two more to get done. You paid for a SUV and if they care at all about you as a current or future customer, they should get you in one, I think.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm sure you will be fine as quite a large amount of pathfinder and qx60 owners have needed transmission replacements so they should be somewhat familiar with doing it by now. I will say I needed a transmission replaced under warranty on an Acura TL type S I owned back in 2003 and after the replacement the car never drove the same again and traded it within 6 months, never went with Honda/Acura again after that. I do wish you luck, no new owner of a vehicle should have to go through this IMO. Sure things happen but that doesn't change the new ownership experience being ruined.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE: Transmission replaced, so far so good

Just wanted to update everyone...

Transmission replaced with Jatco CVT8 NS-3 (3WX2D ZX01951) which I'm told is the latest revision. Also a new transaxle and new transmission command module was installed.

Now the vehicle is super smooth and feels great! 190 miles so far and so far, so good :) It feels like the luxury ride/drive I was expecting when we bought it.

Infiniti Consumer Affairs has been great with very close follow-up and good communication with the dealer. I feel like Infiniti corporate has taken good care of us. I'm not sure what would have happened if Infiniti Consumer Affairs didn't take charge.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just wanted to update everyone...

Transmission replaced with Jatco CVT8 NS-3 (3WX2D ZX01951) which I'm told is the latest revision. Also a new transaxle and new transmission command module was installed.

Now the vehicle is super smooth and feels great! 190 miles so far and so far, so good :) It feels like the luxury ride/drive I was expecting when we bought it.

Infiniti Consumer Affairs has been great with very close follow-up and good communication with the dealer. I feel like Infiniti corporate has taken good care of us. I'm not sure what would have happened if Infiniti Consumer Affairs didn't take charge.
That's great news Jamfl - truly happy for you there. Enjoy your shiny new toy (finally) :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Took three-days to order and replace the transmission? Wow, takes longer to get an appointment at my local dealer, and they never have my vehicle ready on time. I always assumed they're never in a rush since I'm in a loaner.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No problems so far with ours...7K miles and shifting great. My daughter did have to get a tranny replaced in her Pathfinder so that tells me the CVT transmission can be problems. When they work right they are great and helping us average 23 mpg since new in our QX-60. Hope they have the problem corrected in your vehicle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts