Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, we've been having intermittent water pooling inside of the footwells for both the driver and passenger sides over the past year after a good rain. We've had this problem before with another car and we know it's caused from the moonroof channels getting clogged and not draining properly when raining.

After trying to use an air compressor to blow out the lines and also using weed wacker string to snake out the lines, this still happened from time to time.

I finally broke down and took apart the glove box and the found the clog in the lines. Once removed, you can see a clear plastic hose that runs from the moonroof to the engine well. You can easily remove this hose and snake out the clog at this junction. Ours was pretty gunked up and we were able to clear it out fairly easily where it doesn't happen anymore. The driver's side was a bit more challenging as we didn't have much room to work but with a little effort, you can reach this component and clear it out as well.

While at it on the passenger side, I removed the blower fan assembly for the AC/Heat and removed a leaf that got stuck inside which was making some noise when it was on high.

Figured I'd share this info just in case someone else was having this same issue with water leaking, etc. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
601 Posts
That's crazy... I didn't know the hoses clog so easily. Do you get a lot of tree droppings on your roof?

I'll keep an eye out, thanks for the post.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's crazy... I didn't know the hoses clog so easily. Do you get a lot of tree droppings on your roof?

I'll keep an eye out, thanks for the post.
Yes, unfortunately, there are several trees on our block and there's a huge one right where we park our car. Tons of pollen, junk, etc. :(

This used to happen to our old car all the time so moving forward, I'll have to just check the lines every now and then. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all, we've been having intermittent water pooling inside of the footwells for both the driver and passenger sides over the past year after a good rain. We've had this problem before with another car and we know it's caused from the moonroof channels getting clogged and not draining properly when raining.

After trying to use an air compressor to blow out the lines and also using weed wacker string to snake out the lines, this still happened from time to time.

I finally broke down and took apart the glove box and the found the clog in the lines. Once removed, you can see a clear plastic hose that runs from the moonroof to the engine well. You can easily remove this hose and snake out the clog at this junction. Ours was pretty gunked up and we were able to clear it out fairly easily where it doesn't happen anymore. The driver's side was a bit more challenging as we didn't have much room to work but with a little effort, you can reach this component and clear it out as well.

While at it on the passenger side, I removed the blower fan assembly for the AC/Heat and removed a leaf that got stuck inside which was making some noise when it was on high.

Figured I'd share this info just in case someone else was having this same issue with water leaking, etc. :)
You’re gonna kick yourself when I tell you an easy solution to these drain problems without undoing anything. Saw it on YouTube. Drain-o.

·
Registered
2 Posts
snake the lines with a 6 foot piece of string trimmer line. Easy. no damage and you can re-use the piece later or in the trimmer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
snake the lines with a 6 foot piece of string trimmer line. Easy. no damage and you can re-use the piece later or in the trimmer.
Do you know where the drains end, meaning where the water drips out, and are they easily accessible? Also, are there also 2 drains on the back corner of the moon roof as well? QX60

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Duane for your thoughts! I had seen that on a video as well and I'm sure it works but I got so tired of having to consciously clear the drain lines every month or so that I wound up having someone install some clear vinyl wrap and covering the entire roof with it. We never open our moonroof anyway but now, it's totally sealed and I'll never be surprised to see my footwells wet again. Unfortunately, our car gets so much crap on it that I can never keep up with clearing those lines.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you know where the drains end, meaning where the water drips out, and are they easily accessible? Also, are there also 2 drains on the back corner of the moon roof as well? QX60
Not specifically for the QX60, but if you park on a slight incline, have someone pour water from a cup to the perimeter of the open sunroof....someone you trust! you will be able to see the water come out the holes on the downward facing tubes. Then turn car around and repeat for the other 2 drain tubes. There should be 4 drain tubes, 1 for each corner of the sunroof frame.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts