Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, my first post here. We had a 2014 QX60 that we lemoned due to an issue with the mirrors tilting down in reverse (normal) but staying down (or going halfway up) when put into drive. The Infiniti engineers spent months with the car, replaced every component and every computer and could never get it to go away. Of course, this was an intermittent problem that was almost impossible to duplicate on demand (happening about 1-2 times per week).

While we had the car in for service, we were given QX60 loaners, one of which had the same exact problem, all while the service guys were telling us they never heard of the issue. (To be fair, the service crew and Infiniti corporate were wonderful throughout, we were really disappointed they couldn't fix the problem, but they took the car back no questions asked).

Since we really actually liked the car, we asked Infiniti to switch it out for a 2015, hoping that we just had the electrical gremlin car (we had other electrical issues, too, like remote start not working, radio issues, etc). We got our 2015 car in February and within two months, the mirror problem started up again! We almost don't have the heart to take it back in after all they tried doing to fix the first car, but what the heck? Has anyone else had this issue? If so, has anyone found the cause/fixed it?

Completely unrelated, we had a White/Wheat 2014 and wanted the same combo for 2015, but Infiniti went and lost their mind putting a black/wheat interior in the 2015 cars?!?!? We had to switch to blue/black last minute, but we still can't believe they changed it from what looked great to a literal assault on the eyes.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have the same problem with mine. Happens every month or two. I "reset" if by manually pressing the memory button which returns it to normal and the in works for several more weeks.

This is obviously a widespread problem. It's strange that it won't fix itself at the next startup, however. For me, it stays "stuck" until I reset it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have not reported it. It's hard, as you know, to repeat on demand so I suspect it's a waste of time. And the fix is easy for me to do. If I can find a way to reliably make it happen, I'll report. It's just not worth my time to argue with the dealer for a minor annoyance (but we could claim it's a safety issue :) )

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had no idea the mirrors moved. Is this a setting you have to select? I have both tech packages but not the drivers assist package.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks bsnguy. I did look for the instructions when I got home last night. Pretty cool actually as I have done that manually with the mirrors for years on all my vehicles. While I was there I also found a switch to fold the mirrors in and out right next to it. Had the car a couple months now and did not see it there until last night. Is there a way to make this an automatic feature when the vehicle is shut off?

My wife's 2014 Q50 has neither of these features BTW.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Because I often turn off my car while waiting for my kids. I want the mirrors out so I can use them :) If it was an option I could turn off, fine. Also, 99% of the time I would want my mirrors to fold, it would be before turning off the car (like when pulling into a narrow garage). I really don't understand why people want the auto-fold when the car turns off so maybe you can enlighten me on that and how you would find it useful.

Cheers...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Only as an aging member of society. :) I used to have to fold them on my truck after I got out of it. Now at least I can do it by pressing a button. The only issue is remembering. I think it should be a setting you could choose. For some that live in areas were every parking spot is labeled compact, having that option would be good. I try to park at the back of parking lots and such anyway as the walk will do me good. But when I have to park on a street it is nice to have them folded in for no other reason than security from buttheads.

·
Registered
21 Posts

While we had the car in for service, we were given QX60 loaners, one of which had the same exact problem, all while the service guys were telling us they never heard of the issue. ....

Those lying bastards (or clueless bastards...same difference).

I've had this issue going back to 2013 when I first got my JX35. Actually, at first, I thought that I should be able to control which mirror I wanted to tilt down depending on how I had the rocker switch on the door. Instead, they BOTH tilted down in reverse. Note that the user manual stated individual control...

So anyway, I believe the dealer changed the mirror (possibly for a defective motor). It still would get "stuck" every so often but I attribute it to a poor environmental testing of the mirrors. It appears to occur more often if I go from reverse to drive quickly where I am not giving the mirror to move to the original position quickly enough. Then when the car gets moving, it gets stuck in whatever position it was in.

Try this: Go from reverse and into drive BUT do not drive off yet. See if the mirror catches up. Also, every so often, I move the mirrors around so that they do not get "stuck" in the same position. My wife and I drive the car alternately. So, the mirror settings change all the time for us also.

I know this isn't what you would expect for a "luxury" car. I know it sucks. But this JX35/QX60 is still the best crossover, IMO, for the money. I would not return it for the mirror issue. However, I do have other issues with it where I will most likely go back to getting German cars with the new Q7. But I'm sure that will have it's own issues as well.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Is it rude to say "me too?"

I have stopped using the tilt feature of the mirrors (leaving the switch in the middle position). With the all around view it's not so important, but still silly this can't work reliably.

Oh yeah, German cars have nooooo issues ;) been there... But my 1998 BMW had mirrors that would always tilt down, and back, with no issues!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts