Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw some older posts but I’m still not clear on what is needed to updating the Map’s with my brand new 2015 QX60. Are there updates I can d/l to say a USB or is it only updated via DVD? If so is there a cost to getting a DVD update to the Maps?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think it's a DVD update. You can buy it from the dealer (generally) for like $150, I just received a mailer that says my 2013 map is or should be out of date and that they're on sale for a little bit less.

No usb or download for this process.

I updated my navi map on my other vehicle after 5 or so years, but that's only because the roads there don't change much at all. updating annually is not very useful for me.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
I updated my maps last year and its done with about 5 DVDs. It takes about 20 minutes. I just received the update advertisement and will wait for a couple months when they start dropping the price. I want to say originally the maps were $150 and when they went on sale, I got them for $99. I really didn't notice anything different but I'm sure there were a lot of things one would not really notice unless they were obvious, like a new overpass, etc.

·
Registered
663 Posts
It's too bad Infiniti did't install $2 WiFi modules in these vehicles so you can connect to the internet while in your garage, then download the updates.

5-DVD's seems so dated, released in 1999. Blu Ray was released in 2006.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That's nice, but the head unit can't read blu ray.

I actually gave up using the nav system. Google maps works so much better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just updated the maps on our G37x. As part of the vehicle's purchase, I had the dealer pay for the DVDs. They were mailed to my home. There were 5 disks and it took about 90 minutes to complete.

·
Registered
10 Posts
After paying an average of $150 a year on my previous car for maps, I decide that a 1 time payment of $300 for a good Garmin had better ROI.
I just bought a nice QX60 and while I am enjoying it immensely, I will be acquiring a new model Garmin for it.
(Please note I do a road trip every year coast to coast)

·
Registered
169 Posts
I find that an ipad mini or other tablet actually works better for this function. Set up a wifi hotspot and it's good to go as a navigation device. I only would update the actual map every 3-5 years or so.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I just bought a nice QX60 and while I am enjoying it immensely, I will be acquiring a new model Garmin for it.
(Please note I do a road trip every year coast to coast)
I'm also a member of the multi-2k+ roadtrips every year, and I have to give a plug to my built-in nav. I fully understand Garmin units are more fluid and have an easier interface, but I really enjoy benefits of a built-in unit including no wires, voice integration/plays over speakers/lowers volume, built into the dash not the windshield, etc... Car navs are crazy-expensive, but nice.

Given my above comments, I use Waze for my daily work commute to to help identify real-time traffic and police.

FYI, last year we drove with a family that had a Ford F150 Nav. Made me realize how nice the Infiniti unit is. Ford interface was horrible and poor navigation added hours to their drive.

This year we drove with a new Lexus GX, and again, poor routing added hours to their drive. They ended up following us because they simply didn't trust the accuracy of their nav.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've used Infiniti navigation in my vehicles since 2006. I've had it in three of my Infinitis, and I love it so much I wouldn't own a vehicle without it. I have mine set on the Birdseye view. It's 3-dimensional and much more realistic than the flat screen look. If you don't like the nav system, you probably just need to adjust the settings. If you have questions, ask your salesman or someone at the dealership to help you. My dealership gave technology training classes when you first buy your vehicle. I didn't attend them because the system is very easy to use. You can adjust the split screen feature which I don't like because I want a larger view of the map, however it pops up when you're getting ready to make a turn or an interchange is coming up. I find it to be very accurate, and do the updates about every three years. I'm a woman, and I know I will never get lost. Just be sure to put your home location in, and your just one button from finding your way home. It's my favorite option.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got a 2016 QX60 and am quite disappointed that half of a couple of towns I go to are not included in the maps. My four year old Tom Tom has lifetime updates for free and yet my new car is outdated. Really disappointed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts