Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could have driven on a 110 mile road trip or gone to watch a full length motion picture at the local movie house. Instead I spent 110 minutes sitting in my QX60 like a dope in my driveway with the engine running the entire time feeding 5 disks into the nav system. Infiniti really? You put yourself out there as a premium brand yet you pull this on your high end customers.

How about using a faster processor and input/output USB or other solution that doesn't require blowing carbon dioxide into the atmosphere for almost two hours? Also if you want us to type in a License Key per the 31 step instruction manual then call it a License Key and not a Activation Code on the packing slip.

I hope this update is worth it because it probably will be the last one I do. :mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Fords do the update over wifi so it can be done in the garage

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Wont do any of us any good since we are Infiniti owners. CarPlay would resolve this issue but then the map update company would not make any $. I purchased mine for $161, came to my senses, and returned it without installing it. If I need accurate instructions I'll just use my iPhone but prefer the convenience of using the Navigation system in my $53k vehicle. Just sayin'

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Step 20: "Turn on the engine" (for third time, the first two times is to fool with the Bluetooth setting)

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Why did you leave the engine running? I am about to update mine (dated 2012).
Because if you don't, the car will shut itself down after 10-15 minutes, or the battery will die. You can turn off the battery saver feature in vehicle settings (center display between speedo and tach). But if you turn off battery saver, you'll probably kill the battery in the time it takes to do the upgrade.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Because if you don't, the car will shut itself down after 10-15 minutes, or the battery will die. You can turn off the battery saver feature in vehicle settings (center display between speedo and tach). But if you turn off battery saver, you'll probably kill the battery in the time it takes to do the upgrade.
Thanks for the clarification.... sounds like it's going to be a fun experience.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll let you try this first - let us know if it works. One mistake and the update shuts off in the middle of a disk operation and then you're cooked. :crying:

·
Registered
250 Posts
I also use my phone, as it's much more reliable and up to date. But I gotta tell ya, having a HDD based navigation system does have advantages, and I'm considering getting the 2017 update for my car just in case. When we spent a week in the Georgia mountains last December, my cell reception was crap and I had no navigation. We resorted to downloading area maps before leaving the lodge every time. With HDD based it's always there, even if not 100% accurate or traffic sensitive.

·
Registered
204 Posts
So I don't understand, the nav map is on SD card, and the updates come on DVD and you are supposed to copy from DVD to SD card in car? Why can't I do that from a computer?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Is that even possible? I finally decided what the heck, I'll pay $100 to have my car up to date just in case...imagine my reaction when the website showed $149. I barely think it's worth the $100, definitely don't think it's worth $150. So if it can be purchased from another owner, I'm down for that. But the fact that the website requires the navigation unit ID made me think it would be locked to that ID and fail to install in any other. In any case, eBay seems not to have any for sale - which is weird because my service consultant told me to find it there instead of paying them $200 to install it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I can't imagine that they would be stamping DVDs at the point of sale based on the Nav ID. That's ridiculously inefficient.

I'm willing to try pay $100 for it as well, but maybe $15 upfront to see if there is a problem. If not, I'll pay the rest.

or Nemo can try it out first and I'll talk to him after.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Is that even possible? I finally decided what the heck, I'll pay $100 to have my car up to date just in case...imagine my reaction when the website showed $149. I barely think it's worth the $100, definitely don't think it's worth $150. So if it can be purchased from another owner, I'm down for that. But the fact that the website requires the navigation unit ID made me think it would be locked to that ID and fail to install in any other. In any case, eBay seems not to have any for sale - which is weird because my service consultant told me to find it there instead of paying them $200 to install it.
I believe it needs the navigation id to know which version to send out. Must be some slight difference in head unit model. So the ID would identify which model version is the unit?

·
Registered
250 Posts
What surprises me is how little traction there seems to be to this idea. I keep searching up and down and can't find them for sale anywhere. I see old versions for Nissan/Infiniti, and all kinds of versions for other brands. Why aren't all the people on this forum who paid for them trying to sell them now? It's weird.

·
Registered
169 Posts
What surprises me is how little traction there seems to be to this idea. I keep searching up and down and can't find them for sale anywhere. I see old versions for Nissan/Infiniti, and all kinds of versions for other brands. Why aren't all the people on this forum who paid for them trying to sell them now? It's weird.
Maybe just not many people have updated their Nav. But I'm definitely willing to buy someone's upgrade of their '13 navi system. I would think '13 - '15 would be the same DVD.

·
Registered
225 Posts
You need an activation code which is tied to the ID of your unit. That's why you need to specify the ID of your unit when ordering the disks. I doubt my activation code would work on any one else's radio. That's how they enforce copy protection.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts