Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious if anyone knows the details on when the 2016 QX60 AWD actually runs out of gas?

In my previous car, the low gas warning didn't hit until it was well under 1/8th of a tank, and then based on me pushing the limits NUMEROUS times, I knew I had 25 miles (give or take) remaining to find a gas station.

I just bought my QX60 yesterday, and just today got the low gas warning, and still had 1/4 tank showing on the gauge. I continued driving until the "miles left" switched to dashes (---), which was about 40 miles. I found a gas station by mile 45. How much farther could I have gone?

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Sounds like the Seinfeld episode where Kramer is taking the test drive on a new car and runs it out of gas. I've only gone to the --- twice and was too chicken to push the issue. If I remember, I had filled each time 18 gallons which would equate to about 35-40 more miles.

I purchased an old boat last year and have no clue how big the tank is. When I see the gage drop rapidly after the 1/2 tank point, I get real nervous. When the gage is on E, I fill at 22 gallons. My guess is that there is a 25 gallon tank and the manufacturer intentionally designed the gage to hit E with a pretty hefty reserve. Moral...Don't let your gage hit E unless you don't have a choice. I've yet to run out of gas on land or water and don't intend to do so.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bob - that's funny because I *HAVE* done that. In my previous car, I tossed a gas can in the back, and just drove until it died. I made it 32 miles. So I always used "28" miles as my limit. But once it died at 25 miles, must have done a lot of idling that month. I plan to do the same thing with my Infiniti as long as I don't hear that it could damage anything first.

My first fill-up took 18.7 gallons. So if I'm doing the math correctly:

18.7 * 0.125 = 2.3375 gallons remain at 1/8th tank Low Fuel warning message.
2.3375 * 17.5 MPG (I am purposely using that to provide a little bit of a buffer) = 40.9 miles.

My real-world test last week let me go 45 miles. So I'll use 40 miles as my standard.

One correction I noticed in my original post, I mistakenly said the low fuel warning came on at 1/4 tank, and I was wrong, it was 1/8th of a tank.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have Canadian vehicle, but should be the same. When --- comes on, I believe only about a gallon of gas is left in the tank. This should help you calculate how much farther you can go. I filled the tank to the top and subtracted the amount of the tank capacity to find the amount of fuel left at ---. I was surprise how little was left and can see how it is quite easy to run out of fuel.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah, I'm really confused about how the fuel gauge works in this car. I had a 2007 G35 for years and it seemed like you always got about the same number of miles per 1/4 tank, then the low fuel light came on about the 1/8th tank mark with 30 miles left on the clock.

In my QX60, I get 140 miles out of the first 1/4 tank then about another 140-150 out of the other 3/4 tank!! Also the center display goes to --- at 35 miles, but the driver display continues to count down and the low fuel light for me comes on around 40-50 miles remaining.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts