Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I have test drove 2018 Infiniti QX60 few times. Until now, we were Honda, Acura and Lexus fan.
I am seriously considering to purchase the vehicle. However, I hear loud engine/CVT sound during the acceleration every time. This is unusual for luxury vehicles? My wife has a Lexus sedan and it's pretty quiet during acceleration. Is this a major CVT/engine concerns that Infiniti wasn't able to resolve? Do you have this concern? If yes, do you get used to this sound? Is there a way to reduce the noise?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Recently, I have test drove 2018 Infiniti QX60 few times. Until now, we were Honda, Acura and Lexus fan.
I am seriously considering to purchase the vehicle. However, I hear loud engine/CVT sound during the acceleration every time. This is unusual for luxury vehicles? My wife has a Lexus sedan and it's pretty quiet during acceleration. Is this a major CVT/engine concerns that Infiniti wasn't able to resolve? Do you have this concern? If yes, do you get used to this sound? Is there a way to reduce the noise?

I am exactly in the same boat as you are. My honda pilot has aged and I need to change my SUV very soon. I have very same concerns.
I am torn between MDX and QX60. I am getting excellent discount on QX60 ( $36000 with std package from MSRP of $46500) compared to MDX $5500 discount from MSRP.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who have this concerns. Does anyone know whether loud engine/CVT is Infiniti technology limitation issue or they have designed the engine sound to give more sporty feel?

Wow, that's $10,500 discount!! I don't know how you negotiate so good deal!! It's difficult decision and I would consider
what I want in a vehicle first and then price.

I would like to hear from others. Anyone who owns QX60 like to comment?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Please read my post comparing both vehicles, yes the CVT operates differently than a conventional transmission. And yes in some of the trans settings the actions sounds are different.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please read my post comparing both vehicles, yes the CVT operates differently than a conventional transmission. And yes in some of the trans settings the actions sounds are different.
Thanks for sharing the comparison. The information was very useful and the assessment was in detail.
How was the acceleration engine noise for MDX? Do you notice in QX60?

·
Registered
73 Posts
The MDX did have engine noise not obtrusive, but it was there. The transmission acts/reacts the way we are used to in most of the cars we have been around. I found the MDX to hunt through the 9-gears available way to much in merge situations. I have had my QX60 for 6k miles, I drive it in eco setting most all the time (95% est) I like the car very much and based on my previous experiences with the brand I am willing to roll the dice on long term ownership. If you want to scare yourself do a MDX forum search on the 9speed transmission issues, not good. The CVT in these cars is a joint development exercise with Subaru, I see a lot of high mile subies around my second home in Maine, as my miles climb I will post my observations. These cars, both, are very nice I just felt I should have trusted this one first before I bought an Acura.

·
Registered
33 Posts
kbdixon, how do you like the power delivery in eco mode? I keep mine in standard & occasionally use sport as I like having the 295 horses on tap. I have yet to use eco mode and am wondering if there's enough of an eco benefit, i.e. improvement in fuel economy, to sway me to use it by default.

For the OP, I've had my '17 for 14 months/10K miles and have not noticed any unusual sounds during strong acceleration. During normal driving my powertrain is pretty quiet and the only noise I've noticed that I wasn't used to was a kind of whirring noise at slow speed when slowing to a stop. It isn't intrusive or especially loud but is different from my prior (non-CVT) cars.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Power delivery is fine, I like it better primarily because if I am in stop and go traffic the car accelerates much more smoothly. Think of holding a hot cup of coffee and not wanting to spill it on yourself, economy wise my most recent 750miles was @ 24.2 actual not indicated. I really think the mileage would be close to the same in any mode. About 2-3true mpg better than MDX. I refer to eco as limousine mode.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks, kbdixon. I've a lifetime (10K miles) average of 18.3 MPG sticking to Normal & occasional Sport mode. Single-tank measured highest MPG was 23.1 & was almost all highway. 80% of my driving is city; 10% is what I would call congested highway, and maybe 10% open road @ 70-80MPH. AC/climate control is on almost all the time and I'm in the Chicago area so hot summers & cold winters combine to keep economy from what the car is capable of. Economy is made worse by ethanol & (part year) winter blend.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I accelerate mine makes a metal rattling noise and now white smoke blows out when I slow down and speed up. Infiniti Says they couldn’t find anything wrong with it now I’m having shaking and wobbling. I bout the 2018 QX60 brand new and I would never buy another one again.

·
Registered
410 Posts
It’s still under the bumper to bumper warranty so take it back to Infiniti and make them fix it. Asked to have a service technician (not the service writer) ride with you and show him or her the issues first hand. You will need to make an appointment to schedule a time to have a technician ride with you. The rattling sound could be as simple as the exhaust pipe rattling against the heat shield. The exhaust pipe is hung from rubber isolators so it can shake and vibrate without you hearing or feeling it. It can get bumped and and not hang correctly, thus allowing it to vibrate against the heat shield. It’s an easy fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I accelerate mine makes a metal rattling noise and now white smoke blows out when I slow down and speed up. Infiniti Says they couldn’t find anything wrong with it now I’m having shaking and wobbling. I bout the 2018 QX60 brand new and I would never buy another one again.
I bought recently 2016 QX60 with 30k miles run. This car road sound is very noisy also shaking and wobbling. Previously I had Hyundai Sante Fe, it is very nice car quiet and comfort ride comparatively Infiniti (did a ride almost 1000 miles in a day but didn't feel the body pain). This infiniti creates a lot body pain for the long travel. I don't know the luxury brand cars have noise and shaky design. Thinking to change the car but spent $1000 already for Tire at least have to run for a year. Interior and audio is fine but no driving quality. Cheaper cars have luxury riding feels like Hyundai which have all features also I like the lane change assist in hyundai which has in side mirror but infiniti you have to cautious.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I haven't had any of the shaking and noise being reported by some. I think it will vary based on your the vehicle you took ownership of. As with all technology, autos, etc., you can get one that may have issues. I definitely hate that for you. My experience has been flawless with the vehicle at this point.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts