Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and will be picking up my new QX60 next week. I had a 2012 FX35, but with a growing family, I needed to upgrade to a bigger vehicle.

On the FX, the CAI was not worth the money as the motor actually lost power and mpg did not show any improvements. So I just did the drop in filters from K&N.

I found this intake for the QX60: 2015 Infiniti QX60 3.5L V6 Cold Air Intake

but have not found any posts discussing whether or not it is worth it. K&N claims 7hp gain, which is nice, but I am also curious about the mpg and sound difference..

I expect it to be louder and I am ok with that, but is there any gain to mpg?

Has anyone here installed this?

TIA

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Crickets...

I think you'll find that unlike other Infiniti vehicles, the QX60 does not appeal to the high performance vehicle enthusiast. As such, performance modifications aren't a big draw.

That said, I'd love to see someone do an engine and tranny swap from an FX50 into a QX60. Or maybe even better - pull the drivetrain out of an AWD Q50 hybrid and drop it in a QX60.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea.. Thanks Sinecure... I figured there would be less of a performance following on the QX60, but I thought there had to be at least 1 person here that dropped the intake... looks like I may the 1st...

I agree... would love to see the 3.7 from the Q50s in here with a real 7 speed. I have one and love it...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Other than engine sound and a fake turbo swoosh performance gains are minimal. I imagine there being more space, less bends, and more access to outside air compared to the smaller more cramped bay models that use the VQ35DE. You may want to try a drop in filter instead.

I would focus more on the exhaust.

·
Registered
13 Posts
anyone doing mod on this vehicle still watches the Fast and the Furious series and misses the racing days. time to move on buddy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fast & Furious? hahaha...

I added a AEM DryFlow intake. Gives a bit extra air flow and for $30 I won't have to buy another filter again for my QX60.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My suggestion is that don't install an air filter that requires oil spray.
Filters like K&N come pre-oiled, and need to be oiled after each cleaning. This oil will eventually migrate and stick to various parts of the intake including mass air flow sensor, throttle body, idle air control valve, and etc. Speaking of headaches for a bit of horsepower gain!
The K&N drop in filter in my wife's car, after 3 years of use (cleaned and oiled every year), caused the idle air control valve to stick. Stuck idle air control valve resulted in her car engine to shut off when the engine got warm and didn't start back up until the engine got cold again.
After that experience I went back to using regular filter again.
A typical engine air filter only costs about $20 at Autozone and recommended to be changed every 30,000 miles/ 3 years under normal driving conditions. $300 for cold air intake + headaches + repair bills are not worthy of few HP gain, IMHO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts