Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

After numerous sporty cars and as my family grows I'm thinking of buying a 7 seat SUV/CUV. BMW X5 was my top selection but poor reliability stats and costly repairs cooled off that idea.

Next in line is 2013 JX35. I spend some time going through threads here and noticed that some commonly reported problems relate to surging transmissions, brake pads, rattles etc. All of this doesn't seem to be huge issues but I still wanted to see if you guys can share any advice. Also, I tend not to buy 1st year models and I wonted to see if there is any difference reliability wise between 2013 JX35 and newer 2014/15 QX60 models.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
As one of the first owners of the JX35, I am totally satisfied with the car. I now have 40,000 trouble free miles on the car and other than some minor issues taken care of on warranty or through "campaigns, AKA, recalls", I don't regret buying this vehicle as a first year car. I took a chance, but I know Infiniti was really working hard brining this car to the family of Infiniti vehicles.

Like any new vehicle, there are always things that can be improved. One of our members was invited to Infiniti's Focus group and took all the issues identified by owners and lessors. Several were addressed in the revised vehicles. The JX35 has a towing capacity of 3,500 lbs and in the following year, they changed the transmission to provide the same towing capacity of the cousin Pathfinder. This is when the shutter issue became noticeable. Nissan has addressed the problem and it appears to have eliminated the problem. On the other hand, their is a big disappointment with the hybrid model, which is now being discontinued.

The engine is Nissan's 3.5L which has been very popular and reliable. The technology in the JX/QX is excellent and now others are copying it. My vehicle is loaded and the only thing we don't really use is the DVD entertainment system, but we do get the advantage of the additional speakers. As for tires, our car has the Bridgestone Duellers which are just starting to show wear, and the breaks are solid with lots of miles left. We have taken this car cross country and to California's coast. We have a Yakima cargo box and still get good milage with it on board, and on the long trips on winding roads, the car performed very well. It is not a sports car like many seem to think it should be, but it handles pretty good in turns. You will get some body roll, but I find using the manual shift mode really helps the car through the turns and helps save the brakes.

As for rattles, the first models off the line experienced dash rattling under some driving conditions. Infiniti has a fix for those that are really bad, but you need to have a real good technician do the work since there is so much stuff (wires and duct work) crammed in that it can be tricky to remove everything, insulate it and put it back together.

Common gripes: lights could be brighter, no day time running lights, no wind deflector for the sun roof (you will get some wind noise with the roof open), excessive warning beeps when opening the rear hatch (changed in the later models to 3 beeps), no OEM running boards (now available after market), and I'm sure there are a few more.

My biggest concern is that the Infiniti Connection and Personal Assistant features will not work at the end of 2016 when AT&T drops the GSM network. As of this date, Infiniti has not been able to tell if or how they will be able to continue with those services since the technology is essentially obsolete.

When pricing the comps such as BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Audi, its still hard to beat the cost of the vehicle.

I'm sure I've missed other items and hope our long time members will share their thoughts. We do have two top Infiniti salesmen on the forum that will also give you an honest discussion on what they are seeing at the dealership service departments.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I agree with everything Bobob says.

I have around 57K miles and had zero issues except for a rear-door rattle. The rattle was fixed early on and it hasn't reappeared. BTW, i'm still on the original tires and brakes. I'm sure they'll need replacing soon, but compared with a friends Q7 (new specialty tires every 12K miles) my vehicle has fared much better.

My family has been on numerous multi-K road trips without ever a cause for concern of breaking down.. ever...

When buying, I also considered but ruled out Mercedes GL (reliability and fires), used Range Roger HSE (reliability), Volvo (XC90 design was 10 years old), MDX (design was about to change, plus don't consider Acura luxurious), SRX (don't consider this luxurious), BMW X5 (reliability issues and random design costs), Buick Enclave (not luxurious), and GX (ugly interior), Jeep GC (had for 15 years, but wanted luxury), Audi Q7 (reliability and excessive costs), and Q5 (size too small).

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree with everything Bobob says.

I have around 57K miles and had zero issues except for a rear-door rattle. The rattle was fixed early on and it hasn't reappeared. BTW, i'm still on the original tires and brakes. I'm sure they'll need replacing soon, but compared with a friends Q7 (new specialty tires every 12K miles) my vehicle has fared much better.

My family has been on numerous multi-K road trips without ever a cause for concern of breaking down.. ever...

When buying, I also considered but ruled out Mercedes GL (reliability and fires), used Range Roger HSE (reliability), Volvo (XC90 design was 10 years old), MDX (design was about to change, plus don't consider Acura luxurious), SRX (don't consider this luxurious), BMW X5 (reliability issues and random design costs), Buick Enclave (not luxurious), and GX (ugly interior), Jeep GC (had for 15 years, but wanted luxury), Audi Q7 (reliability and excessive costs), and Q5 (size too small).
i did the same thing before buying the 2014 QX60. some members buying the luxury SUV and expect to perform like a sport car. that is impossible
the idea of the CVT transmission is for smooth shifting and gas mileage. They should adapt to it and drive accordingly. Spaces/luxurious/styling and good power. Easy to maintain. Other SUV have more problems and not very reliable and cost more for maintenance.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I purchased my 2013 JX in June of 2012.
I have 52,000 miles on it and very happy with the vehicle.
No trans or rattle problems.
I use premium gas and run in sport mode for most of my Chicago driving.
Use economy setting and cruise control for non-mountain parts of trips to North Carolina to see grand kids.
Averaging 22.5 mpg.
Added running boards and happy with them.
Use an iPod classic in the center console for music and movies.
No "wow" factor with speaker system.
Planning on replacing tires and rear brakes at 60,000.
Nav system ok, I like and use Waze on my dash mounted iPhone.
Purchased map upgrade, don't know if it was worth it.
Free car washes from dealer are something I use a lot.
Went with weathertech mats throughout the vehicle and their hitch step to absorb any bumper to bumper traffic tap.
I find the quality of the seats to be great for all types of trips, and the mechanics of the 2nd row sliders work well.
Back storage has not been a problem.
Heating and air, and heated seats and steering wheel work well in Chicago weather.
Defogger use takes,some getting used to.
Cameras use and views are a help.
I feel Infiniti connect is expensive, but I want it for my road trips.
My wife and I are glad we purchased the JX.
If I were to do it again, I would add the lane departure warning system.
I very happy with all the other safety features.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I purchased my 2013 JX in June of 2012.
I have 52,000 miles on it and very happy with the vehicle.
No trans or rattle problems.
I use premium gas and run in sport mode for most of my Chicago driving.
Use economy setting and cruise control for non-mountain parts of trips to North Carolina to see grand kids.
Averaging 22.5 mpg.
Added running boards and happy with them.
Use an iPod classic in the center console for music and movies.
No "wow" factor with speaker system.
Planning on replacing tires and rear brakes at 60,000.
Nav system ok, I like and use Waze on my dash mounted iPhone.
Purchased map upgrade, don't know if it was worth it.
Free car washes from dealer are something I use a lot.
Went with weathertech mats throughout the vehicle and their hitch step to absorb any bumper to bumper traffic tap.
I find the quality of the seats to be great for all types of trips, and the mechanics of the 2nd row sliders work well.
Back storage has not been a problem.
Heating and air, and heated seats and steering wheel work well in Chicago weather.
Defogger use takes,some getting used to.
Cameras use and views are a help.
I feel Infiniti connect is expensive, but I want it for my road trips.
My wife and I are glad we purchased the JX.
If I were to do it again, I would add the lane departure warning system.
I very happy with all the other safety features.
well said. on my way to Florida. i set cruise control at 75 mile/h. with the tech package. i just steer. never worry about braking to slow down. the tech package did all that for me. i have no issue with my QX. blind spot is a plus.
i love it

·
Registered
663 Posts
i just steer. never worry about braking to slow down. the tech package did all that for me. i have no issue with my QX. blind spot is a plus.
i love it
Same here, I just wish lane assist would pull the vehicle back into the lane a little before you hit the lines. Then I could take a nap while driving (j.k.).....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts