Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, this question has been bothering me a lot - when I have the climate control on AUTO, is the AC always ON - even in winters when I am heating the car?

Also when the REAR climate control is on, is the AC always ON even in winters?

This is for a 2014 QX60 model.
Thanks !! :)

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Not sure if it is truly always on, but I'm not convinced it shuts off either.

What I tell customers is that here's the only way I know to force the AC off:

Press the Climate button. Turn AC button on the screen to "On", then turn it to "off". You've now forced it off. If you press the Auto button, I think it will default back to being on (even if the light in the screen shows off.

And if someone from Infiniti is reading this: THIS IS A STUPID SET UP AND CUSTOMERS WHO UNDERSTAND THIS STUFF (admittedly less than 20% of our customers) THINK IT IS A PAIN IN THE BUTT. BRING BACK THE PHYSICAL, LIGHTED A/C BUTTON SO IT WORKS LIKE IT SHOULD. CUSTOMERS WANT TO SAVE FUEL BY TURNING OFF A/C.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think it's recommended to run the AC even when in winter in order to remove the humidity from the air that's inside the cabin. This helps with defrosting the windshield.

I do hope that the computer understands when it should need to activate the compressor and when not to. The fact that the light is on shouldn't mean that it's on constantly. I would like to see if moving at a constant speed, and level, say the car computer says 20mpg, if turning off the AC physically will change the mpg.

I would rather have the engineers and service managers figure out how the firmware/software in the vehicle may be updated. I believe in the 2015 QX60, when the rear door opens, the beeps are different than the 2013 JX35. This seems to be a very easy software update. Even the portions of the vehicle can be upgraded to be more efficient without hardware change. I'm not asking for a Tesla type service to have it updated OTA. But a USB update would be sufficient.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree. This AC system is very confusing, I still don't understand how the "rear" control thing works. I wish there were a way to just sync ALL the AC/HEAT with what the driver sets.

And yes, there should be some EASY way to upgrade the firmware on all vehicles these days. USB or something.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Unfortunately when you push Auto, the compressor is automatically engaged and I have never heard it "turn off" since the vehicle is always trying to maintain a set inside temperature. You can manually disable AC for both front and back.

Given this, I typically leave my AC manually disabled in the winter, set to 70 degrees. The vehicle is also parked in a garage so I don't have to worry about morning fog.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I agree. This AC system is very confusing, I still don't understand how the "rear" control thing works. I wish there were a way to just sync ALL the AC/HEAT with what the driver sets.

And yes, there should be some EASY way to upgrade the firmware on all vehicles these days. USB or something.
Which year? The '17's work differently from earlier ones.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I havent got much problem with it but now when you mentioned it, it may cause me to overlook my previous actions

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
So, I'm actually a fan of using the Auto function most of the time in these cars. I described above how to force A/C off (go to climate, turn it on, then off).

Here's how to operate the rear from the front:

Press the "Rear" button. use the driver side temp controls to set the temp. While that screen is up on the main display, press the "Auto" button and Auto should show up on the screen. I'm pretty sure the same rules apply for forcing a/c on/off.

Tip: if your kids are messing with the settings in the back, as long as you have the "Rear" control screen up in the front, they can't mess with it using the controls in the back. As soon as you switch to a different screen (map, status, etc), they regain control using their buttons.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts