Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a preowned 2015. The car looks great but there is a water stain on both airbag partitions between the front and mid seat. I’m worried the car could have been in water or perhaps it had a bad seal? I can return the car as it can go back for a few days. What do you think. This was a lease return from California and bought in Texas. The other partitions are spotless. Not wanting to pay for trouble.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'd venture to say that previous owner's kids left the windows down and the car got rained in. It isn't a big deal apart from the staining in these pieces.

If I were you -- I'd go back to the dealer you purchased it from and demand one of two things:

a) They replace both these pieces (part numbers: (R) - 769133JS0A (L) - 769143JS0A) with new parts. Each of those parts cost about $70 each retail, so dealer cost is likely somewhere in the upper $30s to low $40s.

b) You return the vehicle and undo the entire transaction.

I would approach your sales rep about this and not the service department.

The service department couldn't care less if you return the vehicle or not -- your sales guy loses and commission he earned on the sale if you return the vehicle and him selling you the vehicle cost him the commission he could have earned if he had talked to someone else.

Further, if you've already registered the vehicle with the DMV in your state, that CarFax just got a +1 owner on it. They could no longer sell it as a "one owner vehicle" as according to the DMV you also owned it for a couple weeks. What are they going to tell the next purchaser "Yeah, the guy we sold it to first returned it."

Given this, I'd also demand something extra for your time, given how inconvenient this is and the financial hit the dealer will take on having to resell the vehicle with an additional owner on the CarFax.

Free navigation map update, extra set of headphones for rear entertainment system, free luggage organizer for the trunk, free extra key ... something along those lines.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Where in Texas did you buy it? Near Houston by chance? Lots of flood cars coming out of that area.
Pull apart a couple panels, do some digging. Remove the glovebox and look around for any signs of water, corrosion, etc. This would be a tell-tale sign. Hoping for a good outcome for you!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Where in Texas did you buy it? Near Houston by chance? Lots of flood cars coming out of that area.
Pull apart a couple panels, do some digging. Remove the glovebox and look around for any signs of water, corrosion, etc. This would be a tell-tale sign. Hoping for a good outcome for you!
For Harvey to affect that level of the vehicle .. it wouldn't be CPO.

Flood cars get water everywhere, and there would be staining on all A, B and C pillars, his speakers would sound off (as the voice-coils will rust) -- there would be an unmistakeable "mildewy" smell in the vehicle, headlights would have water in them, taillights would have water in them, LED screen for rear seat controls would be waterlogged, leather in seats would "ruffle" up and for a flood that gets up to the top of the seats -- you've touched every electrical component in the vehicle except sunroofs and rearview mirror.

Even fully loaded brand new QX60s that get water up to headrest level aren't financially worth saving.

While its good to check -- you needn't start pulling panels (which could affect your CPO status) -- simply pull back the weather stripping on any one of the four doors and look for a water line. Flood water is dirty, its filled with crap and it leaves waterlines everywhere. When people flip flood cars -- they can get these vehicles looking spotless but every one I've ever seen has failed to clean the inside of the weather stripping.

You can also pull one of the plastic covers covering the bolts which hold your front seats to the floor to check for rust.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I took it to Grubbs Infinity. The car was a lease return from California. The guys at Grubbs went thru it and didn’t fine any other issues with the car. They said it was mostly likely someone leaving the windows. Down. I appreciate your help.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Looks to me like the drain hoses for the sunroof may have gotten clogged at some point. I'd ask the dealer to check this out. If this car was CPO, they shouldn't have much of an issue checking it out - its not really something on the checklist to pour water into the drains, but if you ask...

And I'd ask them to clean up that pillar or replace it if they can't clean it. Technically you bought a used car "as-is", but I'd expect the dealership to step up in this case. It may even be something they can get taken care of by Infiniti under warranty. Ask nicely and see what happens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts