Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this on youtube... interesting. Infiniti AWD system is not that great when you have 3 wheels off the ground.

Thoughts?

in comparison, here's the Q7 and X5 on the same test set-up:

·
Registered
28 Posts
That is interesting. We are seriously looking at purchasing a '14 QX60. We have had an 07 MDX and currently have an '11 MDX. The Acura AWD system seems to be more performance tuned while the Infiniti seems to be more for if/when you were to get stuck somewhere. Having test driven both 2014 models (MDX and QX60) the MDX certainly feels sportier than the QX but 99% of the time that's not how we will be driving it. We are really leaning towards the QX still for the time being. The Audi and Beamer seemed to do well in this test as well. Check out this video of the MDX vs the QX - I am a bit concerned about the AWD capabilities of the QX after watching this (lthough it is a JX35 in the video, maybe they have updated the AWD system since this was made).

·
Registered
41 Posts
We've had close to 40" of snow in the past 2 weeks. I have not gotten stuck once, although I've had quite a few stopping issues, but nothing major.

The stock tires are not good for snow, but I still was able to get wherever I was going without any major issues.

The most snow I was driving it at one time was probably 8" of fresh unplowed powder.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
You should consider the overall ride and passenger capacity along with the performance in the snow if you have snow to deal with. Originally I considered the Audi but saw a German YouTube that made the X5 look great, but Audi look pretty poor in comparison. As much as I like what I see in the X5 and M Class, I still wouldn't trade it for the JX. I like the ability to carry up to seven people when needed.

Also if you haven't done any research via YouTube, there are some pretty interesting videos on the JX and QX.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the input guys, I feel like I have done quite a bit of research and we even took a QX60 home for a two nights as well. We liked it a lot and I think that's the way we will end up going. I just can't justify the cost difference for the BMW or Mercedes and I doubt the Q7 is going to wow me that much to justify the $6k or so difference there either but I will still go look at it for comparison. Also, we have two small kids and a medium sized dog so the ability to access the 3rd row with the car seat in place is huge for us. I wish Infiniti had the hard drive music system that Acura, BMW etc have but you can get around that by putting your music on a flash drive and leaving it in the car so that's not a deal breaker.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The Q7 is nice but it's an Audi, a german vehicle, not sure how reliable it will be but I know I would pick a QX60 over a Q7 any day.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
My thoughts? If you want to put all three wheels on rollers and still move the car, don't buy this car. If you want an awesome awd vehicle that performs pretty well in snow on the stock tires (smaller wheels come with better tires for snow IMO), and really well with snow tires, buy the QX60.

If you want an Infiniti that will pass that "test", buy the QX80.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks for the input guys, I feel like I have done quite a bit of research and we even took a QX60 home for a two nights as well. We liked it a lot and I think that's the way we will end up going. I just can't justify the cost difference for the BMW or Mercedes and I doubt the Q7 is going to wow me that much to justify the $6k or so difference there either but I will still go look at it for comparison. Also, we have two small kids and a medium sized dog so the ability to access the 3rd row with the car seat in place is huge for us. I wish Infiniti had the hard drive music system that Acura, BMW etc have but you can get around that by putting your music on a flash drive and leaving it in the car so that's not a deal breaker.
They took out the hard drive for the music because most people have smartphones now days, so there is no need for it. Also, you can use a thumb drive like you were saying.

My thoughts? If you want to put all three wheels on rollers and still move the car, don't buy this car. If you want an awesome awd vehicle that performs pretty well in snow on the stock tires (smaller wheels come with better tires for snow IMO), and really well with snow tires, buy the QX60.

I agree here 100%. The smaller wheels have better tires for snow if you are going to leave them stock. If you are looking for a family SUV that has easiest in class access to the third row, as well as the luxury and reliability you want in this segment, get the Infiniti.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

I have an 06 M35x and it has been incredible - even in several inches of snow we received last year in November (with snow tires). I am sure my QX60 is going to be good - I'm more curious to know why Infiniti's AWD wouldn't allow the QX60 to drive off with three wheels on rollers.

If someone were to tell me this without showing the video - I wouldn't believe them because in my experience the Infiniti's AWD system is pretty **** good. (I have not driven the MDX however).

Wouldn't that video mean that BMW and Acura's should never get stuck in the snow? - wonder if that's actually true. (although I probably still wouldn't buy one - Acura is too ugly inside and out, while BMW's interior went out of style 10 years ago - BMW just hasn't realized it yet)

I can't wait to put winter tires on my QX next season! I'm sure its going to be awesome.

Also - what is the difference between the QX80 and QX60 when it comes to the AWD system? and between M35x and QX60? (If any)

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Wouldn't that video mean that BMW and Acura's should never get stuck in the snow? - wonder if that's actually true.
LOLZ

In my life, I've driven something like 800,000 miles. I grew up in New England, and since moving to CA in 2000, more than half my miles are spent driving to/around Tahoe in winter. Until I moved to CA, I never bothered with an AWD/4WD vehicle because I never found it necessary. I mostly drove FWD, although I had one RWD vehicle early on.

In my opinion there are three main factors that are important in keeping you from getting stuck in snow and/or having an accident of some sort in snow. In order of importance they are:

1) Tires
2) Driver - and experience

3) Clearance

The AWD tech matters very little. Tires matter more than ANYTHING else. And regardless of everything else, a functioning and experienced brain attached to the foot that presses on the pedals is critical.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
agreed. Tires are absolutely #1. If only other people up here in Calgary would realize that.

If you're smart enough to have the right tires and drive safely and stay out of the ditch then you should never have to worry about the situation depicted in the earlier videos :D

Sinecure - since you work for Infiniti, do you know what is this difference in AWD setup between QX60 and 80? (you mentioned in your last post that QX80 would be able to drive off those rollers)...

·
Registered
210 Posts
its a combination of alot of things to ensure you survive winter driving

but having a good AWD system does help - its not a savior by any means.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I don't work for Infiniti. I work for a dealership. Subtle but important difference. I have never seen a person from corporate participate in these forums. I think they perceive too much risk for very small potential reward.

QX56/QX80 has true locking differential. That means you can lock it in 4WD and all 4 wheels will turn all the time. It also has tow mode which purports to give you more torque.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I know you said in these forums but in general although many times the parent companies like Nissan, Toyota, Ford etc may not actively participate in online forums, you can bet (and I know this from personal experience) that they have people who do read discussions on online forums about their products.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ah I see... thats one feature I noticed was missing in the QX60. On my M35, I can lock all 4 wheels to in Snow mode - they shouldn't have gotten rid of that in the QX60, especially since the pathfinders have it still.

However, correct me if I'm wrong but the '4 wheel lock' in the QX80 I think just locks the centre differential - which means it still relies on the front and rear differential set-up to determine power split between left/right wheels - so even if you locked 4wd in the QX80 with 3 wheels on rollers, it should theoretically produce the same result as the QX60 in the video..

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Paradox, no question they read these forums. But I've never seen anyone publicly identify as being an Infiniti employee (one did and he/she quickly disappeared from the forum). If you really want to get their attention these days, post something to their wall on facebook. That'll get you a very quick response. But yes, they monitor the forums for info and feedback.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts