Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm really interested in the JX35/QX60. I think it's the best luxury vehicle of those years packed with tech and etc.

What really stops me from saying "I will go today and get this vehicle" is the numerous complaints about the CVT causing problems.

Based on my Google searches, I can only find posts/complaints of owners back when the vehicle was fairly new and was still covered in warranty. This doesn't help now as most (if not all) JX35/QX60 are out of warranty.

It also looks like Nissan/Infiniti haven't launched a recall addressing this issue, which is somewhat concerning.

What should I do? Is Nissan/Infiniti still CVT issues free-of-charge? Should I look somewhere else and skip on this vehicle? I'm dreaming of owning the car at this point but this CVT issues are really worrying.

If it matters, I plan to buy used from a 3rd-party dealer (ie. not Infiniti) as Infiniti's prices are somewhat expensive. Will I have better luck by going with Infiniti directly?

Thank you for any advice!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Based on my Google searches, I can only find posts/complaints of owners back when the vehicle was fairly new and was still covered in warranty.....
I think you already answered your question.

My '13 model never had the shutter problems, but could it? Sure.... But I also am assuming it would have cropped up before hitting the 100k mark.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Ask to borrow the car for an extended test drive. Drive it for a couple hours. Up and down hills. Freeway. Local stuff. Bring the family so you have a decent amount of weight in the car. See what happens.

Chances are very good you'll be fine. Most of the ones with issues were resolved by reprogramming the tranny. A few had the trannies replaced. Keep in mind that people go online to research/complain about their issues, not to report their car is fine.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I definitely would recommend a CPO car from an Infiniti dealer. I got my fully loaded 2014 one driver clean carfax cpo for 33k. That's about 25k off sticker when it was new. They volunteered replacing the tranny for me at 30k miles even though I never had any issues with it. Why not, I now have a tranny with only 7k miles on it. I hear the 2015s had the tranny issues fixed so maybe look at that year if you're not buying from a dealer than you can take it back to if there are problems.

Sent from my Samsung S9+ using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
51 Posts
From what I have seen, read and been told, the issues were resolved after the 2014 model year, when a new CVT was used.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please read my recent post re the trans shutter on my QX60 2017. It has the CVT! I would caution you. Also google and you will see others are also having similar issues. I am no mechanic but I would not purchase another car with a CVT based on my experience.

·
Registered
2020 QX60 AWD Signature Edition
26 Posts
While I can't comment on earlier year models, we've had zero issues with the CVT in our 2018 QX60 after 14 months and 15K miles. And despite many "experts" being critical of CVTs in general, we really like ours. No hunting for gears, no late shifts, early shifts, or unwanted downshifts like you see in conventional 6-10 speed transmissions. Nothing but the RPM the engine needs to handle the current load.

As a plus, the simulated "7 speed" manual mode works very well in the mountains -- both climbing and descending.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Very. I have a JC35 2013 model. Really nice car. Transmission won’t last if it hasn’t already been replaced. Mine went out at 120000 miles. It flat stopped without warning in the middle of I85 in Atlanta at rush hour. They know these things are bad, so if you test drive it and it doesn’t ride really smooth and when you coast it feels like it’s dragging a bit. It’s life is almost over.

Mind you though. Maybe because of what could have happened, Infinity replaced it with the newest tranny they have and I only had to pay for the granny at their cost. I felt that Infinity did me right on the service of the car.

The JX is a QX with a different tranny. It’s still a really nice riding and very safe car to have. I’m not getting rid of mine. Just know what to expect.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm really interested in the JX35/QX60. I think it's the best luxury vehicle of those years packed with tech and etc.

What really stops me from saying "I will go today and get this vehicle" is the numerous complaints about the CVT causing problems.

Based on my Google searches, I can only find posts/complaints of owners back when the vehicle was fairly new and was still covered in warranty. This doesn't help now as most (if not all) JX35/QX60 are out of warranty.

It also looks like Nissan/Infiniti haven't launched a recall addressing this issue, which is somewhat concerning.

What should I do? Is Nissan/Infiniti still CVT issues free-of-charge? Should I look somewhere else and skip on this vehicle? I'm dreaming of owning the car at this point but this CVT issues are really worrying.

If it matters, I plan to buy used from a 3rd-party dealer (ie. not Infiniti) as Infiniti's prices are somewhat expensive. Will I have better luck by going with Infiniti directly?

Thank you for any advice!
Infiniti will extend the warranty coverage for Continuously Variable Transmission assembly (including internal CVT components, gaskets, and seals), CVT control valve body, and torque converter from its original duration of 6 years/70,000 miles to 8 years/94,000 miles, whichever comes first on 2013-2014 JX and QX60.

https://www.infinitiassist.com/campaigns/2013-2014-jx-qx60-cvt-warranty-extension/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts