Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not seen this posted so thought I would ask. We have a new 2014 QX60 and while my wife was trying the SOS button, she was told that this is not a guaranteed service! She thought that the fee after a year was a lot to pay and the rep said that the service is via AT&T 2G network. This 2G service from AT&T will be going away and Infinity has no idea if they will be able to continue this service at all. The dealer made a big deal out of this. Has anyone else heard anything about it and is this service worth it anyway?

·
Registered
225 Posts
December 31, 2016 is the announced end date from AT&T. This from an Infiniti blurb upon entering a website about got to use the service:

Driving is serious business. Only use Infiniti Connection™ and Infiniti Connection Plus services when safe to do so. Services require compatible 2G GSM/GPRS cellular network provided by AT&T. 2G cellular network not available in all areas and/or available at all times. Cellular technology is evolving, and changes to cellular networks provided by independent companies are not within Infiniti’s control. AT&T has announced that on December 31, 2016, AT&T will terminate 2G network availability. Like other devices that rely on 2G network coverage, once the 2G network is terminated, Infiniti Connection and Infiniti Connection Plus services will not function unless equipment replacements, upgrades, or alternative 2G network coverage are available at that time, which Infiniti cannot guarantee. Infiniti not responsible for associated costs that may be required for continued operation due to cellular network termination (including equipment upgrades, if available, or roaming charges on alternative networks). Certain vehicle services, including Google compatible services, provided by independent companies not within Infiniti’s control and are subject to change without notice or liability to Infiniti and its affiliates and agents. Subscription Agreement required to enroll. Initial 12 months, beginning on your date of purchase, included complimentary. Subsequently, your credit card (if on file) will be charged at the then current subscription rate and your service will continue for 1 year periods under the terms of your Subscription Agreement, or until 2G coverage is terminated on December 31, 2016 (if equipment upgrades or roaming charges are not available by that date). Standard text rates and/or data usage may apply. Terms and conditions of Subscription Agreement apply.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I suspect that a) Infiniti will find a solution for 2016 vehicles, and b) they will not offer any update for prior years, and c) many people will (try to) find a way to retrofit the new solution into the older models.

This is typically how these things go...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suspect that a) Infiniti will find a solution for 2016 vehicles, and b) they will not offer any update for prior years, and c) many people will (try to) find a way to retrofit the new solution into the older models.

This is typically how these things go...
Well, this kind of thing was never explained along with other items. My wife is beginning to wish she did not buy this car. That is bad on a car this expensive! I understand things change with networks...so you buy a new phone...but a $60,000 car should have other options. Her 2012 Lincoln MKX had better support.

·
Registered
313 Posts
If you decide you really need a system like this, you could consider and inquire about OnStar FMV: https://www.onstar.com/web/fmv/home?g=1

I know it would still cost money to add but if the system does matter to you/your wife, it's an option. For what it's worth, I had onStar in my Chevy Volt before the QX60 and it was worlds better than Infiniti Connection.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Put the Infiniti app on your smart phone.

FWIW.. It took me quite a few tried to get the SOS call through from my driveway. I get really bad ATT reception and virtually non TMobile at my house. Inside my home, forget about it.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
I use the Personal Assistant on every long trip and when shopping around metro areas. It would chap my hyde if they could not get the existing service to work once AT&T drops their coverage. Again, enough to piss off the Pope!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think that with enough people contacting them and making the issues something they're aware of, they just might take action on it, or at least make it more of a priority.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Today I posted the issue on Infiniti's Facebook page and got an immediate response and requested I send them a private message regarding the issue. Their initial response was to direct me to a dealership for assistance. I told them that I contacted to random dealerships and that neither had anyone that was aware of the issue. Probably because its buried deep in the frequently asked questions segment of their Infiniti Connection information site.

I will post what ever I find out here, and on the InfinitiJXforum.com also for those interested.

To me, and others, this is an issue. It was one of the selling points for me when I purchased the car. I would hate to loose it and am not looking forward to replacing the vehicle once the AT&T network goes away.

Stay tuned!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great...keep us posted PLEASE!

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
I was surprised this morning that the Infiniti Facebook person picked up my latest message and forwarded it to corporate. Lets see what happens. Heck, they have until the end of 2016 to figure something out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was surprised this morning that the Infiniti Facebook person picked up my latest message and forwarded it to corporate. Lets see what happens. Heck, they have until the end of 2016 to figure something out.
Thank you again. Also, I think we went by Gig Harbor on our way to Port Angeles didn't we?

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Its a real nice area we live in up here. I love that trip up north to Port Angeles. You can get there through HWY 101 through Olympia, or past Gig Harbor up 16 to HWY 3. Nice drive. We get out of town guests that want to see the "Vampires" in Forks, so we take them up through Port Angeles then west to the coast. Beautiful drive.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its a real nice area we live in up here. I love that trip up north to Port Angeles. You can get there through HWY 101 through Olympia, or past Gig Harbor up 16 to HWY 3. Nice drive. We get out of town guests that want to see the "Vampires" in Forks, so we take them up through Port Angeles then west to the coast. Beautiful drive.
...and then on to Victoria!!

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
I finally received word from Infiniti Consumer Affairs regarding this matter. Here is there response:

Thank you for taking the time to contact Infiniti and allowing us the opportunity to be of assistance.

Infiniti Connection requires a compatible 2G GSM/GPRS cellular network provided by AT&T. 2G cellular network is not available in all areas and/or available at all times. Cellular technology is evolving, and changes to cellular networks provided by independent companies are not within Infiniti’s control. Like other devices that rely on 2G network coverage, once the 2G network is terminated, Infiniti Connection will not function unless equipment replacements, upgrades, or alternative 2G network coverage are available at that time, which Infiniti cannot guarantee.

Infiniti strives to stay ahead of evolution in technology but that is sometimes a challenge given the nature of technology and changes made by third parties outside of Infiniti’s control. We are exploring alternative network solutions for Infiniti Connection service options, and although we don’t have anything to announce now, if and when we do we will advise customers.

Infiniti is not responsible for associated costs that may be required for continued Infiniti Connection operation due to cellular network termination (including equipment upgrades, if available, or roaming charges on alternative networks).

Case # 16454126 has been created to document this concern. Please feel free to contact us at 1-800-662-6200 (Option 7) with any questions or comments.

Sincerely,

Infiniti

·
Registered
225 Posts
That's a lot of words, even for Infiniti.

Executive summary: Infiniti connection will be dead once the AT&T 2g service turns off. I'd we ever offer another solution, you will be expected to pay more to access it and you will have to upgrade you car to do so (at your expense).

·
Registered
602 Posts
I doubt they will offer another solution for current vehicles. We'll be SOL come 2017.

It'll be easier for Nissan to simply add 3G modules to new cars going forward and use us to fine-tune their connectivity offering.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One of the things that is getting us a little mad at Infinity is what we learn AFTER we buy the car. This is another example of a "feature" the dealer and Infiniti advertise and tell you about that will not work soon. We have several more issues that you only find out about AFTER you buy the car!

·
Registered
602 Posts
One of the things that is getting us a little mad at Infinity is what we learn AFTER we buy the car. This is another example of a "feature" the dealer and Infiniti advertise and tell you about that will not work soon. We have several more issues that you only find out about AFTER you buy the car!
What are some of the other issues you're running into?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What are some of the other issues you're running into?
Well, it is my wife's car, but one I can verify is that the blind spot warning does not always work. I guess it does not sense people or bikes and then you need to be going > 20MPH. That is just wrong. Her previous 2012 Lincoln would always sound the warning...no matter the speed. Very good in a parking lot!

Many other examples and she is going to contact Infiniti about them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts