Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went back to the dealership to talk to somebody else. It looks like the service guide misunderstood the technician. The amp does exist, the only thing missing is the amp on the diagnostic portion. Apparently you will only see it if you have the theater package. Still think they changed something compared to the JX.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Audio Sucks

Hi All,

I am certainly not an audiophile.. but the audio quality of my 2003 Honda Accord EX-L beats out the Bose System in my new QX60 hands down!

I agree that the Bose speaker system is loud, powerful and has good sub woofers, but the quality of the sound is quite inferior. The fineness in sound is lacking, especially the higher frequency, despite having my settings at full bass and treble. Also, some of the background sounds are overshadowed by the loudness of the other frequencies..Basically, the speaker system does not do a good job of delivering all the components equally.

I expected much better performance from Bose :(

I just want to know if it is just me or any of you feel the same way.

Thanks!
I agree with the poster. I traded in my 2011 Chevy Travers which had base audio system and got into 2015 QX60 and the change in audio quality was considerately bad. I could feel it as soon as I drove away. I called their customer support, I took my vehicle to the dealer, the dealer brought in a QX60 with Bose system for me to listen but it was still bad - the guys at the dealer kept saying it sounded good for him but sometimes for lot of these guys audio sound quality is not their main focus. I worked for Delphi/Delco and Bose Automotive in the past and I am telling you Bose system should not sound this bad. It is the head unit. Bose is simply supplying the speakers and amps. Same with the base QX60 audio system, the head unit sucks, the speakers are probably okay. I played a CD and CD sounded much better. FM was somewhat ok (I picked the station that sounded good in my GM), XM was the worst, I ended up not renewing my XM as it was not worth it listening to the crappy quality of audio.

I am looking into cancelling my lease and getting into a different vehicle. I'd rather loose a little money on breaking the lease but deal with this audio for the next 4 years. Let me know if any of the users have poor audio quality from XM or is it just my head unit. I strongly believe it is a poor quality head unit - I wouldn't be surprised if it is from Delphi.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I tried CD as well, still sounds like there is no midrange.. its loud.. its got bass and treble.. but nothing in the middle! I am surprised none of you have felt this!
If you have bass and treble pushed to max, mid ranges are probably overwhelmed and less audible.

Also, any baby boomers out there? After going to all of those arena rock concerts in the 70's our hearing isn't what it used to be. I could argue the sound system in a 75 Gremlin sounded better to a 20 year old than the QX60 system sounds to a 60 year old. Well, maybe not, those 8 track players were pretty rough. :)

That said I have the 15 speaker version and am quite pleased with the sound quality especially when my iPod is plugged in.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree with the poster. I traded in my 2011 Chevy Travers which had base audio system and got into 2015 QX60 and the change in audio quality was considerately bad. I could feel it as soon as I drove away. I called their customer support, I took my vehicle to the dealer, the dealer brought in a QX60 with Bose system for me to listen but it was still bad - the guys at the dealer kept saying it sounded good for him but sometimes for lot of these guys audio sound quality is not their main focus. I worked for Delphi/Delco and Bose Automotive in the past and I am telling you Bose system should not sound this bad. It is the head unit. Bose is simply supplying the speakers and amps. Same with the base QX60 audio system, the head unit sucks, the speakers are probably okay. I played a CD and CD sounded much better. FM was somewhat ok (I picked the station that sounded good in my GM), XM was the worst, I ended up not renewing my XM as it was not worth it listening to the crappy quality of audio.

I am looking into cancelling my lease and getting into a different vehicle. I'd rather loose a little money on breaking the lease but deal with this audio for the next 4 years. Let me know if any of the users have poor audio quality from XM or is it just my head unit. I strongly believe it is a poor quality head unit - I wouldn't be surprised if it is from Delphi.

Hmm... I find this odd. I have a 2013 Tech Package with the Bose and it's the best stereo we have of our current cars. It's better than the Burmester in our AMG. By design, I would think that XM/FM/AM would not sound as good as a CD since they can't carry all the frequencies in the signal... unless something changed recently that I'm not aware of.

Note that I'm usually a Bose hater (No highs, no lows, it must be Blose"... But this is the second best car system I've had next to the Harman Kardon in a Z4 which was unusually good. Also had HK in Mercedes, Bose in Porsche, JBL in Cadillac for reference.

We currently have a QX60 loaner with the base stereo and it DOES suck. I mean it sucks big time as I was telling my wife there's no way I'd get this car with the base stereo. But I completely disagree with you regarding the Bose - at least it's not true for my 2013 model. Maybe they changed the head unit in the later models as you say.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Our 15 speaker Bose system also has active noise cancellation, which really improves the sound quality. I don't think the other system have that. As I've said, I am extremely pleased with the Bose in my QX60. Sounds better than the Bose in my previous cars -- a 2005 Acura MDX, and a 2010 Buick Enclave.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2008 EX35 had the Bose system and it sounded much better. The 08 amplifier was manufactured by Burr-Brown and the subwoofer was much larger, both of which probably made a big difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2015 QX60 and I agree with the others that don't like their 13 speaker systems. Has anyone successfully modified and improved the 13 speaker systems?

I wonder if reducing the volume from the front center speaker without reducing the volume to front side speakers would help. There seems to be very little stereo affect anywhere in the car. I miss the sharper clearer sound in my previous car especially the real nice base from the subwoofer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have the 15 speaker BOSE system on the QX60 as part of the Tech package and I LOVE the sound. The stereo separation is great; Bass is really tight. Mid-range (vocals) sound clear and natural, even though there is no dB adjuster for mid-range. Audio levels are also pretty good - I dont ever go about 4-5 "notches" on the level meter and the sound is crystal clear. I play MP3s via the USB slot almost all the time - with the occasional NPR on FM thrown in (which does ok considering its mostly just talk radio).

I think the 13 speaker system may not be as good as the 15 speaker system. I made the mistake of getting the "one level below the best" with my purchase of the Honda Odyssey EXL-V6 10 years ago - and I suffered thru the crappy audio system for 8 years or so, and finally broke down and replaced it (DIY) with an aftermarket system (Pioneer) with a Bazooka subwoofer. It made the sound tolerable, but I still repented the decision I made reg. the OEM audio system because the sound was never enjoyable - esp. compared to the Def. Tech audio in my home theater system (in my media room).

This was yet another reason for me to pick the "give me everything you got" options when I got the QX60 - and I am very happy I made that decision because trying to swap out the QX60 OEM audio system with an aftermarket solution might be much more trickier.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pathetic Bose system in 2016 QX60

Yes, I agree that the BOSE system is all hyped but the quality is relatively inferior specially the twitters, the fineness sound dont even come out apart from no noticeable stereo effect. My 2016 Honda Civic gives much better bass and treble quality effect then the hyped BOSE in 2016 QX60. Even my old 2013 Toyota Sienna had better quality music. All in all, I am disappointed by the performance of music system. Even the sales person at 401-Dixie show room agreed to the inferior output of the music. Only when played music on high, the Bass will give good and heavy effect but fails miserably and misses the finest or treble effect in mid range, probably overwhelmed and less audible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
After listening to Bose in Porsche, I thought, how could bose mess up so badly on QX60 ( 13 speakers) ? Bose is not the highest end but should be pretty decent.
So, issue is with infinity head unit having a very poor DAC. I suggest bypassing that. Connect you source through aux cable to bose sound system.

I am using iphone 5s aux connection to AUX input in "center arm rest" storage. Now it uses iphone DAC and sound is much better ( sound stage ) and sort of enjoyable.

It doesn't beat mark levinson ( in ls350) or my home stereo but it is not bad.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Huh. For some reason I just expected that the center armrest connections would get routed through the head unit. Are you saying they bypass it? How does that work when you're inputting video? That clearly goes to the head unit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I meant bypassing the DAC in head unit, not head unit itself.
I am sure "AUX" still goes through head and that's why I could control the volume through it.

I am planning to take it a step further , using external DAC , possibly oppo HA2 or HRT istreamer.

·
Registered
104 Posts
For those saying the Bose sound system, regardless if it’s 15 or 13 speaker set up, sounds fantastic. Even the base model six speaker system sounds pretty **** good. I have a 19 loaner but the bass six speaker set up and I have no qualms about it

·
Registered
168 Posts
So stupid question, but on my 2015, if I have the theater package, does that mean mine has the 15 speaker system or not necessarily? I have to say I am not overly dissatisfied with the sound system in my QX60, but to be fair, I can't really turn it up too loud most of the time since I almost always have at least one kiddo back there, often more than 1. And on my way into work I just listen to Bob and Tom show or comedy stations on XM.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Looks like you need the deluxe touring package on a 2015 to get the high end Bose system.

“Options include the Premium Package ($1,550) with 13-speaker Bose premium audio, CD/DVD/MP3 playback, driver's seat occupant memory, entry/exit assist, enhanced intelligent key fob, heated steering wheel, driver's power lumbar support, remote engine start. The Hybrid Premium Package ($4,600) adds a hard-drive navigation system with 8-inch touch-screen, Lane Guidance, voice recognition, NavTraffic, NavWeather, Zagat restaurant survey, INFINITI Connection service, Around View monitor with moving object detection, rain-sensing wipers.

The Premium Plus Package ($3,000) includes the hard-drive navigation system with 8-inch touch-screen, voice recognition, NavTraffic, NavWeather, Zagat restaurant survey, INFINITI Connection service, Around View camera monitor system with moving object detection, rain-sensing wipers, reverse tilt-down mirrors. The Deluxe Touring Package ($3,450) includes 15-speaker Bose Surround Sound audio, 20-inch wheels, second- and third-row moonroof, power rear sunshade, advanced climate control system, climate-controlled front seats, heated outboard second-row seats, maple interior accents, third-row seatback power return.

The Technology Package ($2,800) includes Lane Departure Warning and intervention, Blind Spot Intervention, automatic pre-crash front seatbelt tensioners. The Deluxe Technology Package for Hybrid ($6,050) also includes 15-speaker Bose Surround Sound, 20-inch wheels, second- and third-row moonroof, power rear sunshade, advanced climate control with automatic circulation and air purifier, climate-controlled front seats, heated outboard second-row seats, maple interior accents. The Driver Assistance Package ($1,900) includes active trace control, Blind Spot Warning, Eco pedal, Forward Collision Warning, Intelligent cruise control, Distance Control Assist, Backup Collision Intervention, Intelligent Brake Assist. Purchase of Premium and Premium Plus Packages is required.

The Theater Package ($1,700) comes with dual seven-inch color front seatback monitors, two wireless headphones, wireless remote control, auxiliary audio and video input jacks, a 120-volt power outlet, and two headphone jacks with individual volume control. Other options include roof rails ($495), a Tow Package ($510), polished 20-inch forged wheels ($1,605), illuminated kick plates ($440), dual DVD entertainment ($1,870), and a maple accents package ($400). Port-installed accessories include a cargo package ($230), rear bumper protector ($210), splash guards ($205), and crossbars for the roof rails ($300). “

·
Registered
104 Posts
The difference between the 13 and 15 speaker Bose system? Two single tweeters on the rear doors and 5.1 digital decoding. You could easily get the rear tweeters, grills and the harness from a junk yard and add them.

Same wattage, same amps, etc.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts