Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following Acura and BMW, Infiniti will be the next luxury automaker to introduce a hybrid halo sports car.

While the notion of a hybrid sports car may have seemed ridiculous a few years ago, the idea is gaining traction. Ferrari, Porsche and McLaren have revealed hybrid supercars, and both BMW and Acura have their own hybrid sports cars on the way. Now Infiniti is reported to have green-lit one of of its own The news comes as little surprise from a brand that has already revealed hybrid sports car prototypes in the Emerg-e and Essence concepts, and the production version is expected to borrow elements of both when it arrives by 2016.

Just what powertrain configuration it uses, however, remains to be seen. The Emerg-e employed a 1.2-liter four and two electric motors to produce 402 horsepower. The Essence, however, used a 3.7-liter V6 with a single electric motor for 592 hp. Although the GT-R’s 3.8-liter twin-turbo V6 was considered with an electric assist, it was ultimately ruled out as too crude for a luxury car. The addition of a “halo” model is reportedly viewed as crucial for Infiniti’s expansion. In China alone, the brand’s sponsorship of the Red Bull Racing team has reportedly boosted brand awareness by ten percent over two years.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Good news here. Now they need to push harder to make more performance vehicles, get a supercar out to compete with the future NSX and have "IPL-Sport" models or just more IPL vehicles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good news here. Now they need to push harder to make more performance vehicles, get a supercar out to compete with the future NSX and have "IPL-Sport" models or just more IPL vehicles.
I think once Infiniti settles down with their full line of vehicles for 2014 then they will start to attack the idea of a halo car to compete with the NSX and other supercars in that category.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Essence, however, used a 3.7-liter V6 with a single electric motor for 592 hp. Although the GT-R’s 3.8-liter twin-turbo V6 was considered with an electric assist, it was ultimately ruled out as too crude for a luxury car.
I would like to see a race between the essence with that 3.7 v6 with 592hp race against the newer Skyline GTRs. It would be interesting to see how the Hybrid would be up against a turbocharged GTR. This will just show us how much torque is generated from electric hybrid motors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's about time they release a super car. infiniti is much involved with the red bull racing f1 team. SO why can they just make one, they have more than enough resources well from what I heard at least. And mostly likely it will be a hybrid performance and I won't expect anything less than 450hp.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
It's about time they release a super car. infiniti is much involved with the red bull racing f1 team. SO why can they just make one, they have more than enough resources well from what I heard at least. And mostly likely it will be a hybrid performance and I won't expect anything less than 450hp.
Not sure if it will be sportscar or supercar, the article title says "sportscar" but shows the supercar concept and the essence coupe concept.

Looking at the sportscar specs mentioned in the article it seems like something not too far off from an IPL Q60, but it's also a good powerplant to dump in a lightweight supercar.

·
Registered
295 Posts
So is this the Halo car we've been waiting from Infiniti all these years? It's about time.
It is. Still not the really cool supercar we all wanted but still a big step for Infiniti. Can't wait for it but hopefully it doesn't take away from Nissan GT-R sales since people who want a "luxurious GT-R" might get the Infiniti instead.

·
Registered
132 Posts
infiniti getting serious about performance will be good cause eventually we'll see those efforts make their way to the EX, FX and other vehicles in the future under their futue Qxx badge cause the Lexus RX needs a Japanese competitor. FX IPL vs RX F-Sport will be a nice battle.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
infiniti getting serious about performance will be good cause eventually we'll see those efforts make their way to the EX, FX and other vehicles in the future under their futue Qxx badge cause the Lexus RX needs a Japanese competitor. FX IPL vs RX F-Sport will be a nice battle.
i hope you are not trying to get at a QX60 having a sporty trim, maybe a sport styling package but i doubt any factory performance mods will do it any good. it's big and heavy already.

This is better left to the EX and FX successors.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think the LFA did wonders for Lexus reputation. Infiniti making a high performace supercar would do the same thing for them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts