Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver's side illuminated kickplate just went out. Wouldn't bug me so much if it was passenger's side since I wouldn't see it too often. But, I pretty much notice it EVERY time I get in or out of the car. Service guys at my local dealership, who I have always felt are straightforward and honest with me, state that they are required to order and install kickplates in the set of two, despite not needing the passenger side done. Their suggestion was to find one (new or used) online and they could just charge me the labor time to install for me, though this would not be warrantied which I expected would be the case. Then I wondered to myself in my very limited time and skill level if this might be something I could just do myself. Has anyone had any experience replacing the illuminated kickplates? Is it super difficult to where I'd be better off taking it to the dealership to have done?

·
Registered
5 Posts
My driver's side illuminated kickplate just went out. Wouldn't bug me so much if it was passenger's side since I wouldn't see it too often. But, I pretty much notice it EVERY time I get in or out of the car. Service guys at my local dealership, who I have always felt are straightforward and honest with me, state that they are required to order and install kickplates in the set of two, despite not needing the passenger side done. Their suggestion was to find one (new or used) online and they could just charge me the labor time to install for me, though this would not be warrantied which I expected would be the case. Then I wondered to myself in my very limited time and skill level if this might be something I could just do myself. Has anyone had any experience replacing the illuminated kickplates? Is it super difficult to where I'd be better off taking it to the dealership to have done?
I replaced mine as my drivers side was out, I found a set on eBay that were brand new but he had them several years. Install is very easy there are two clips that snap in underneath and 3m tape. On the wiring side look in the fuse box down by the emergency brake. There should be a pink and yellow wire that the kick plates are t tapped into. There is two wires on the illuminated kick plate “red” and “black” if I remember correctly red goes to the pink wire and black goes to yellow. They will only work one way, so you know if they’re wired correct. On the passenger side mine has an extra wire to extend it over to the driver side fuse box. It’s ran under carpet and under console over to drivers side. Same thing but both wires are black on it but just wire it to that and check when tapping into pink and yellow to see which way it works. It is very very easy and the hardest part is getting the old ones out without destroying/bending in case you want to keep for back up. The tape is pretty sticky. Jump into it you won’t regret it, dealerships charge way to much as this took me an hour just cause I wanted to do it neat and I made it look better than the factory had it using zip ties and tucking all wires away

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OMG THANK YOU!!!! This is literally EXACTLY what I needed to know! You're a lifesaver! Where are the two clips that snap in? and is the 3M tape also holding the kickplate in place? I assume I should disconnect the battery, as these kickplates are lit up when the door is open? or is the voltage low enough it won't matter if the battery is still connected? or I guess I could find the fuse for the kickplates and remove it before I start working on it....

·
Registered
5 Posts
There are two clips on each kick plate. They are about 3-4 inches in from the outside edge. In your old ones, it is very hard to get out without breaking these but it’s possible. When you get the old ones out or if you get a new set you will see them on the bottom as they snap in little tiny square cutouts in your vehicle, and the 3m tape also helps hold them down. It is a pretty easy job and I have to be honest I didn’t disconnect battery or take any fuses out and didn’t have an issue but I’m not saying you shouldn’t. If you can find the fuse it should be sufficient.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Actually I was wrong the clips are closer to the edge I went and looked at my old ones and here is the pics

1 - 7 of 7 Posts