Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Wondering if this is normal

Having a wired situation with my wife's 2014 QX60 today. She was trying to back out of a parking space. I was driving another car on the side at the same time. Suddenly, She called me saying the brake is not working when reverse. She have to shift into Parking gear and also hit the parking brake. I then hop on to the car. There are few warning lights on(I can't recall, but it's probably just 2 to 3 warning light). I then do the same thing and put the car in reverse gear. The car started backing up and the brake paddle is not working. I have to stop the car using Parking gear and Parking brakes.
I shut off the car and restart then everything went well. I was thinking if she probably just start the car without the engine on. Basically to hit the ignition button without brake paddle. I try it and the car is doing something. We're kind of lucky that there is no car behind us.
I know this is probably a user error, but shouldn't this have fail-safe protection? Why the car can be in reverse gear and motion without the engine on. We're on a flat surface, so is not like the car was back out due to the slope. My wife have the car since 2014, and she claims that she swear the engine was started. I couldn't recall if it's true when I first hop onto the car.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Did the break petal go the the floor with no resistance? This can be caused by a break fluid issue and can be quickly checked in the engine bay. Either way, you should get the vehicle to the repair shop, sounds dangerous.

And, no.. this isn’t normal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did the break petal go the the floor with no resistance? This can be caused by a break fluid issue and can be quickly checked in the engine bay. Either way, you should get the vehicle to the repair shop, sounds dangerous.

And, no.. this isn’t normal.
Hello, no the break petal can only go halfway. I just tested again this morning. So the issue still happen, but the car did not move on the flat surface. I guess the parking lot yesterday does have some slope. I will bring it to the dealership today. I am suspecting maybe the shift lock is being disabled or something. We just finish our maintenance 3 weeks ago at Sewell.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So just return from the dealer. They claim it's normal for the car to act like this. The brake itself has a pressure system that only engages when the engine is started. When the engine is off, the pressure system will not work with the brake pedal. So the car can shift to whatever gear there is, but it will all act like Neutral. The gear is locked with the engine off. However, when we hit the brake, the gear is loose to shift. I guess I have to remind my wife to make sure not to drive the car if she saw a bunch of warning lights.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts