Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 200km on my qx60,there is a high pitch "whining noise" started from the right hand side of the engine.The technician looked at it and said it's normal from the electric power steering's pump.Seriously Nissan !!
I was so pissed and very disappointed with the purchased. Since then,I came across 2 other new qx with the same issues. That is totally ridiculous from Nissan so called luxury infiniti?
Just want to know if other owners out there having same issues?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Can you hear it when the hood is shut inside the vehicle? Or outside, but when the hood is shut, not open? I have never noticed it on mine inside or outside, but mine is a hybrid, if that would even matter...

·
Super Moderator
563 Posts
I've got close to 25,000 miles on my JX and have never heard that type of noise. Something isn't right. Sounds like you need another Infiniti technician to look at it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I don't know what it sounds like in my car with the hood open, but I know when I complained about a high pitch sound in the car I was told it was the power steering pump! I have tuned it out now and don't really notice it anymore, but it is still there. I don't know if all QX60 or JX are affected by this.... I think the power steering pumps are faulty and depending on how faulty, the sound is louder for some.

I have 2500 miles on my QX now and I have stopped noticing this sound inside the car. Will see if I can tell what it sounds like with the hood open sometime this week.

·
Registered
136 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you hear it when the hood is shut inside the vehicle? Or outside, but when the hood is shut, not open? I have never noticed it on mine inside or outside, but mine is a hybrid, if that would even matter...
Ya, I can hear from inside the vehicle but not as loud. It is still very annoying.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya, I can hear from inside the vehicle but not as loud. It is still very annoying.
I am from Toronto. I think the cold weather is affecting the power steering pump more than those from the warmer climate.
I complained bad enough to the service department that they agreed to order a replacement pump from Japan to be replaced next week. If not, they just told me;It is normal,it is normal,they all like that....

·
Registered
210 Posts
the power steering pump does usually make a whining noise but it shouldn't be so loud that you can hear it inside or outside with the hood closed.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yeah that or anything. High pressure lines do tend to be faulty at times so it could even be that, either way you're covered. It's best to go in ASAP when you have a problem like this

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The dealer replaced the faulty pump under warranty. There is no more whining noise and it is normal to me now.
Btw,my 2014 Qx60 was built in July 2013.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Glad to hear you got it solved Ken

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The high pitch whining noise is back on the new pump after I started the engine this morning. Another defective pump or may be all of them out there? It's so unbelievable,only good for a day.:confused::mad:

Any Canadian owners here can advise me on how much time to allow the dealer/manufacturer to fix the problem before I use CAMVAP (Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan),asking them to buy back my vehicle?

Does any other manufacturer power steering pump making high pitch noise?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Wow, that sucks. I've still never popped my hood to listen to mine but from inside, I certainly do not hear the sound yours is making in the video. Quite strange :confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
high-pitch noise in the cabin

After 200km on my qx60,there is a high pitch "whining noise" started from the right hand side of the engine.The technician looked at it and said it's normal from the electric power steering's pump.Seriously Nissan !!
I was so pissed and very disappointed with the purchased. Since then,I came across 2 other new qx with the same issues. That is totally ridiculous from Nissan so called luxury infiniti?
Just want to know if other owners out there having same issues?
I have the same problem on my one month old QX60 since day one. Except, the noise is inside, not outside. And it's really annoying. I don't think, it's related to weather, as been stated in one of the posts, since we had around +8 C recently (I'm from Toronto area too) and the noise was the same. Will see the dealer soon.
Another issue I have - the steering wheel is really hard to handle. Feels like a truck and doesn't even come close to the comfort of Toyota, not mentioning Lexus.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can still hear the high pitch whinning noise from inside but louder during the winter months. Is it only me? Any new fix?

·
Registered
136 Posts
No new fix.. I've had this issue since day 1... Technicians still claim its normal for the electric power steering to make this noise.

I have heard it on other Nissan / Infiniti vehicles too. There is a sound shroud around the steering pump but its next to useless. I find it much louder when it is cold outside.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts