Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 13' JX35 with a passenger side headlight out. I went to autozone to order a replacement bulb $100 :crying:. Took it home put it in and still not working. This is possibly a ballast or ignitor issue but im not sure of how to determine which one or if both. I'm gonna have to take it into the dealer to see because i can't drive with one headlight. I am a very handy person and very capable of attempting this repair myself if the dealer's price is insanely high.

Has anyone had an issue like this? Has anyone replaced one on their own and can provide some guidance. I can do the rest.

Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had noticed a problem with the driver's side headlight on my 2013 JX (80,000 miles) flickering off for a while, then turning back on.
I brought it in to my dealer and had the wires checked, all was fine and service advisor said that they could not do anything more since the bulb was currently working, even though I showed him a picture with one bulb on the other off.
Service folks believed,it was a problem with the ballast.
Since I have extended warranty and maintenance, I escalated to the service manager who agreed to replace the ballast at my convenience but it would take a few hours work including removing the front bumper.
I am planning to have done at the next oil change since the bulb has been working reliably the last couple of weeks.
Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the feedback. I didnt get an extended warranty so i guess the dealership will be a rip off. I ordered the part and it should be in tomorrow. I'm gonna have a local repair shop install it. Since the dealership will try to rob me anyway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you for the feedback. I didnt get an extended warranty so i guess the dealership will be a rip off. I ordered the part and it should be in tomorrow. I'm gonna have a local repair shop install it. Since the dealership will try to rob me anyway.
Typical culprits are bulb or ballast. You eliminated the bulb. Most likely the ballast. Previous comment is correct: to get to the ballast, you'll need to get the headlamp out and that requires removing the front bumper.

Note: Infiniti does NOT sell the ballast separate from the headlamp. No, this isn't because the dealership is trying to rob you. It is because Infiniti USA does not have a separate parts designation for it, meaning, they simply do not package it and offer it. No part number, not available. However, there are ballasts on eBay that should work. Search for a reputable brand like Denso or Hitachi.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found the ballast on Amazon for $61 and it was a prime item so I got it in 2 days. My mechanic charged me $124 for installation so about $185 opposed to $1575 from the dealership is cause for Celebration. My mechanic did share with me that there was water in my ballast and that was the cause of the failure. When i picked up the car, they showed me the ballast and it was clearly soaked. I am not sure how it got there but at least now we have a documented headlight failure and troubleshooting post for this problem on the site.

Thanks for your feedback guys!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts