Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a QX60 2017 and looking for adding a dash cam (front and rear). I've watching a number of YouTube videos and understand how it should be done but still have some question on this QX60 model specifically. Hoping members here have more direct experience w/ this procedure.

* How do we run the cable to the rear camera? I'd like to know which panels are best to run the cable behind and how to get it to the hatch door.
* How do we connect to the car electrical power source? In most cars, that is located by the glove box. With QX60 the cable ran to be going to the engine area.
* The car has lots of airbags. When removing panels, I am somewhat concerned to damage the airbags. Any tip on how to do it safely?

Any tip would be very appreciated.
Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have a dash cam installed on the front windshield hardwired to the front fuse box. I've wanted a camera pointing out the the rear window, but haven't due to the questions/concerns you've listed above. I'm assuming power can be tapped from the power lift gate, so it should be straight forward, just haven't explored. I hope you get your dash cam installed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I simply have a Garmin that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Suction cups to the windshield. Used it in my first QX60 and now in my new one. Easy to change vehicles, especially if you put yours in the shop and use a loaner. Best $200 I ever spent.

·
Registered
250 Posts
My friend, who is a mechanic, managed a body shop, and now works as a GEICO adjuster (and loves it, by the way), strongly recommended against hard wiring anything if you can avoid it. So I installed my front dash cam, ran the wires through the trim and have it coming out right next to the 12V outlet, where it goes in to the charger. This way it's removable and no risk of damaging anything.

As to a rear cam, at least the 2014 has a 12V outlet right in the back. Might not be the prettiest install, but any downside to installing right on the top of the rear windshield with the cable slack enough that it would allow for the liftgate to open and close, and the rest of the cable ran through the trim and down to the 12V outlet? I think I'm going to try doing that unless someone tells me it's a bad idea.

·
Registered
663 Posts
My friend, who is a mechanic, managed a body shop, and now works as a GEICO adjuster (and loves it, by the way), strongly recommended against hard wiring anything if you can avoid it. So I installed my front dash cam, ran the wires through the trim and have it coming out right next to the 12V outlet, where it goes in to the charger. This way it's removable and no risk of damaging anything.

As to a rear cam, at least the 2014 has a 12V outlet right in the back. Might not be the prettiest install, but any downside to installing right on the top of the rear windshield with the cable slack enough that it would allow for the liftgate to open and close, and the rest of the cable ran through the trim and down to the 12V outlet? I think I'm going to try doing that unless someone tells me it's a bad idea.
Hardwired mine to the front, and it works no problem. I also like your idea of using the outlet in the back. I say go for it.....

·
Registered
250 Posts
I went for it and installed it on the rear of my QX60 and my wife's Escape. But now I'm noticing something that concerns me - it seems these rear 12v outlets retain power even after the car is turned off and locked (I stuffed myself in the cargo area of each and tested this). Do we know if there's a certain time after which the power is cut to those outlets? Otherwise I'm fairly sure these cameras are going to drain the battery... I'm trying to check in with Anker to see what they have to say about that, as I believe some cars always give power to the 12v outlets even in the front cabin.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I took power from the rearview mirror plug for my dashcam. It has 12v when the engine is on. There are many guides in the internet how to do that. It is very clean and no wires hangig the dash cam itself is mounted on the lane assistance camera.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have both front and rear dash cam and use the existing power sources from the 12v outlets. Front is the 12v outlet under the infotainment console and rear the outlet on the left by the lift gate. I hate wires so I tucked them neatly under the panels.

For the front dash cam, I route the wires from the headliners, pried the front passenger side A pillar and ran down the wire towards the floor boards and under the glove compartment. From the glove compartment, I continued to run the wires on the side trim under the gear stick and discretely popped it out on the side. All excess length of cables, I zip tied under the glove compartment.

As for the rear, I have not much covered panel to hide the wire so I just tie wired it in a bundle closer to the outlet. But who looks in there anyway,so I did not bother making it look prettier.

Hope the pictures help.

·
Registered
250 Posts
That's similar to how I installed mine.

But I did get a response from Anker that concerns me:

For your situation, may I know is the cigarette lighter supply power always? If yes, the dashcam will keep recording all the time as long as it plugged. Could you please check if there is a USB port nearby the audio port? If yes, please plug the Dashcam into this port, so the Dashcam will be turned on or off with the car. The input of the dashcam is 5V 1A, if you keep the dashcam recording, it will drain the car's battery. Hope this information can be some help for you.
So I'm concerned for our two cars with the seemingly always on rear 12v outlets...

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
I did some "scientific" testing and here's what I found out:

- front 12v - turns off with engine
- center console hidden 12v - turns off with engine
- center console passenger facing 12v - turns off with engine
- cargo area 12v - always retains power

So my front camera install is good (front 12v outlet). For the rear camera I decided to run the cable to the center console passenger facing 12v - the camera comes with high amp dual charger, so I can have the camera there and always keep space for a cellphone or accessory. I confirmed that doing it this way the camera stops receiving power as soon as I turn off the engine so it goes into battery powered parking monitor mode, rather than always-recording mode.

If you're not going to hotwire it, I strongly recommend doing it this way rather than plugging in directly to the cargo bay 12v outlet.

P.S. For anyone who cares, on the Escape Titanium, all outlets retain power regardless of engine state or lock status. The only thing that does not retain power is the two built-in USB slots, so that's where I'm plugging my wife's cameras. Just need an extension cable for the rear camera.

·
Registered
22 Posts
@ NemoEsq - yes the rear is always powered on so I usually would pull out the plug when parked for the night at first. I experimented with it while home and left the camera plugged in while the car was parked overnight. It did not drain the battery so I kept it on when parked at work or parked overnight unless the car is not used for more than 24 hours.

I planned to reroute the power supply to the tail lights or maybe make an independent cables running from the rear to the fuse box but never got around to do it yet.

·
Registered
250 Posts
My wife suggested the idea of plugging/unplugging the cameras as we see fit, but I find problems with that. I got these small set and forget type of cameras that, provided are connected correctly, should function on their own with no input from me. Having to remember to connect and disconnect creates extra steps and my wife and I will likely end up forgetting. I think my solution will work great and with the extension cable coming tomorrow from Amazon it should be all good. I used to tinker with wiring all kinds of stuff to my cars a decade ago. Now I don't have the patience to do that stuff or the risk tolerance to damage the cars.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I hear you, you are absolutely right. Unless if you have a deep cycle battery like maybe an Optima, there is a chance of draining your battery. I purchased a separate set of cigarette lighter outlet which I plan to plug the camera connector behind the cargo side trim just passing the wire under the panel. That was still a project that I have not come around to doing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry to be blunt, but these are some pretty bad setups. Half of these will kill your battery, and the other half are just plain ugly/bulky. I had a Blackvue 650 2 channel installed in mine by a shop, but anybody with some time and basic skills could do it easily themselves. Hardwired to the car, barely visible both in the front and back.

Anyway, the main thing I wanted to say was that it is connected to a BlackVue Power Magic Pro, which keeps the power going to the camera until the battery is at a certain level (customizable). That way the camera keeps recording for a couple hours past when you park, but cuts off power so that you can still start up when you come back. Works very well. The lighter port suggestion (especially the rear one that stays on) is especially a bad idea.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well, my install has been running solid on 3 cars for about two months now, no battery problems but that's because I made sure to install to ports that lose power when car is off. I won't argue that the install is a bit of an eyesore but I'm not really bothered by them at this point in my life, so screw it.

Sent from my Samsung S9+ using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have one I'd those $25 mini dashcams from eBay with an LCD on the back. Hardwired it to the front fuse panel and mounted it behind the rearview mirror. It's worked well for the past 2 years. I like the previous suggestion of tapping the rearview mirror electrical, would have cut down on the amount of wire.

Whatever you get, make sure it has a wide angle..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts