Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide whether to get awd. Live in Dallas. Is there any advantage to awd other than in inclement weather? Have heard very conflicting thing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am trying to decide whether to get awd. Live in Dallas. Is there any advantage to awd other than in inclement weather? Have heard very conflicting thing.
I think the AWD option is a decent value on the QX60 and the mileage penalty is minimal. That being said, I would be going with FWD in a Southern State without any extenuating circumstances.

Even in MD, I could have survived just fine with FWD but the added peace of mind when it snows is worth it.

AWD helps you avoid getting stuck or spinning the front tires when pulling out quickly, but will not help you stop any better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! What I am trying to figure out is whether awd improves handling or performance on any way when the roads are dry.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I don't think you will notice any difference in normal conditions. The AWD system rarely engages the rear wheels from what I've seen. But I do a lot of driving uh the snow so like it for that reason, but it's not a great system door that either, in my opinion. There are some YouTube videos of how poorly it actually shifts the torque, but better than noting? (Maybe not, actually).

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you live in Dallas are and plan to be mostly on normal roads and in and around Texas, then you should be good. I have driven both 2014 AWD and FWD, did find significant mileage difference in city driving. AWD struggles to get 19 in city but FWD gives easily 23 + with same driving conditions. As mentioned in previous post AWD is engaged only when needed and it does not necessary help in stoping the car.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I live in Dallas and opted for AWD because cost wasn't much more and fuel penalty wasn't big. Given these two items, I didn't want to be 3-years into ownership and wished I had AWD.

Do you need AWD in Dallas? No. Is it nice to not slip when starting from a stop? Yes. Will it help with handling? No.

And you know the rest, AWD won't help with stopping or ice/snow handling (except starting off).

I bought AWD for peace of mind, knowing there's less of a (small) chance you could be in a situation and would like it.

Since you're on the edge, if you can afford it, get AWD. If not, don't...

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Thanks! What I am trying to figure out is whether awd improves handling or performance on any way when the roads are dry.
No. Only people who tell you otherwise are Audi salesmen because all they sell (yes, some exceptions) is AWD.

Only difference where I live is AWD tends to retain its value (for the most part). Where I am, people drive to Tahoe even though it never snows at home. And Caltrans requires chains on 2WD vehicles in certain snowy situations. I drive to Tahoe a lot. No way I'd get a 2wd vehicle. Although if it weren't for the restriction, I'd happily drive a 2WD vehicle in the snow (assuming I had 4 snow tires on it).

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think it depends on the system. Felt like there was definitely a performance difference with the SH-AWD system in our prior vehicle (2008 Acura MDX). Not feeling much yet in the QX60, but haven't had any real weather in the month that we've had it. Note, as was discussed in another thread, that AWD is not the same as 4-wheel drive. On the rare occasions that the snow really piles up (I live in NoVa), I wouldn't drive either the Acura or the QX60. That's what my jeep is for!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts