1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DSC06015.JPG

DSC06016.JPG

DSC06017.JPG

Gentlemen...these type of mods I do for fun but mainly functionality. This months DIY ;-).... will be replacing the crappy OEM fogs and replacing the entire fog lamps with HELLA's. Hellas are factory fogs on MB and BMW. Hopefully these pics will download as I am new on the forum. I will be adding throughout the day since I am stuck at home on an icy day in Dallas. As you can see I will be using Hella fogs that cost 40 bucks each from amazon.com. I also installed a much better bulb. I have used Sylvania Xenon bulbs which will better match the "white" output our headlights put out.
airlaird

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Removal of foglights

DSC06019.JPG

DSC06021.JPG

DSC06024.JPG

DSC06025.JPG
OK..so here we go. I am beginning on the DRIVER's side first.
Jack the car up and get under the front bumper. You must remove some tabs from BENEATH the plastic "lining" that covers the undercarriage so you can get your hand BEHIND the foglight. It is obvious which tabs to remove but it did not photograph well, so common sense will guide you. You will easily figure out which tabs to pull. Removal of any undercarriage plastic is not necessary...but you need to pull it back for entry into the back of the foglight area.
airlaird

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You can see there are tabs are used to attach the front Chrome and plastic trim on the front of the fogs. These tabs are tight and must be "released" from the inside prior to pulling out. ( so stick you hand in up behind the bumper and using a "miners flashlight" that goes on your head..detach the tabs..there are five I believe. It is dark up there so I use the elastic flashlight that goes on your head. Push..or pull the fascia off. Once the plastic and chrome fascia is off...unscrew (FROM THE BACK while your hand is still up there).. the TWO screws and remove the foglight and pull it down out of the bumper. Let it dangle as you splice on new spades.

NOTE: The factory fogs are H-11 bulbs. These HELLA's are H-7's. You MUST cut and splice using simple spades on the EXISTING OEM wiring.!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Splicing pic

DSC06026.JPG

DSC06030.JPG

DSC06031.JPG
OK..in this pic I am showing you the end result of my splicing. It is simple and again must be done to use the factory wiring..which is what I am big on.... keeping it OEM as much as possible. Because no one wants a big ol' black switch on our dash right? OK, in the last two pics you'll notice I haves switched to the PASSENGER SIDE. This was done for better lighting for pics. Remember the metal tabs I am pointing to on the second set of pics? (Please scroll up). Each foglight has TWO metal tabs..but you need to use only ONE of these tabs. (This metal tab is what we use to secure the new foglight assembly to the car.)
OK, so you need about 2o seconds use of a dremel....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
DSC06031.JPG

OK,, so here needs some details. Using a dremel and a sand disc attachment, you simply cut a groove into the plastic trim so the metal tab can slide into the groove. I say cut about 3/4 inch and slide the tab into the area. Not shown was my starter "pilot hole" I made into the metal tab...into the bumper plastic.

NOTE: You must REVERSE the tab upon insertion.
airlaird

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
DSC06033.JPG

DSC06035.JPG
Again, "not shown" ( make a starter hole through the metal tab...into the bumper). This ONE screw will firmly attach your foglight to the bumper..believe me...this will not be shaky with just one screw because it is a massive size screw.
Using the SAME SCREW that the OEM fogs were using, screw into your pilot hole

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Done

You'll notice a small screw on the bottom of the Hella foglight. This MUST go on the bottom! This is the up/down adjustment for the light. Once you re-attach the front chrome trim..(by simply popping it back in from the front), this screw will be easily accessible for adjustment. I have my trimmed all the way downward using a torx wrench
airlaird

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Nice job with the installation. How much time did it take you to complete the job? Also, how much better performance wise do you feel these new lights are? Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bobob..good to see you over here. Honestly it was rather quick. I would say 35 minutes per side because there is limited cutting and you are only using one screw.
The only tool you need is a dremel, a Phillips screwdriver, wire cutter and spades, and a torx wrench ( to adjust the fog light). I know from the other forum you had issues as well with night driving as I did. I could barely notice when the factory fogs were on, so they were useless.
I would guess the OEM fogs would light up five feet in front. These Hella's light up about 20 feet further and outward. Make sure you put in those Xenon bulbs ($65.00 bucks).
But yes...the night vision is about 30% better.
airlaird

·
Registered
295 Posts
This will definitely be of major help to a lot of newbs. Not everyone is familiar with this stuff.
This should be stickied.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow..thanks for the interest....the other forum I was on, would have had 200 views and no replies........., as far as next months DIY ;-)...I would love to post my Bumper LED install...but I have deleted all the pics off of my camera and the entire step by step install is stuck on the "other forum". Anyone know how to grab those pics and make them available to download to this forum let me know.
airlaird

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank You. I also responded on the JX Forum, but i was too Late so i hunted this post down here thank you. i am going to try this same install with 3000K (Yellow) HID's. HID's have come down dramatically in price these days. One could find a set anywhere from $89 to $180 for a complete set. Digital Ballast is the only way to go. I've installed about Six kits already some are Six years old (Same bulb and Ballast). Thanks again AirLaird

·
Registered
148 Posts
Wow..thanks for the interest....the other forum I was on, would have had 200 views and no replies........., as far as next months DIY ;-)...I would love to post my Bumper LED install...but I have deleted all the pics off of my camera and the entire step by step install is stuck on the "other forum". Anyone know how to grab those pics and make them available to download to this forum let me know.
airlaird
you could simply save them and re upload them to a gallery here, or for ultimate laze just right click, copy image URL and boom...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How embarrassing

LOL KQC...I feels so stupid...I never even thought about right clicking..seriously! Ok boys...standby for my LED install....
airlaird

·
Registered
18 Posts
thanks for sharing this mod!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts