Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so halogen headlights were the standard for sometime, then someone went and invented xenons and ballasts for industrial lighting.

1991 saw the introduction of xenon headlamps for motor vehicles, the 1993 BMW 750 was the first car in NA with Xenons. Development of projectors began to aim HID's which quickly became the pinnacle of automotive lighting.

Then Audi went and decided to buck the trend and start using LED's because they use little power and create limited heat. Now everyone is jumping on using LEDs in their headlights to try and be edgy and premium like Audi.

If anyone has been paying attention to CES 2014 you will of seen that Audi said thank you for joining us on the LED wave but we're jumping ship for LASERS.

which brings forward an interesting question....

if we've gone from halogen to xenon to LED and now lasers are imminent, WHY AREN'T XENONS STANDARD ON EVERY CAR? How can there possibly be new cars sold that are HALOGEN.....

People should be outraged that major companies are nickle and diming one of the most important aspects of safety for driving. VISIBILITY....

Thanks to a friend who brought the dichotomy to my attention :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
yep, even Volvo, out of all people, still put these cheap halogens in their cars... of course xenons can be had for 1000 bucks!

another feature that should be standard equipment in all cars is convex tipped mirrors to show blind spots.

sometimes it feels like the car makers WANT you to wreck their cars, but protect you enough that you walk away from it to buy another....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Now, if Infiniti could just make some HIDs that actually light up the road, that would be great. The JX headlights are awful.

·
Registered
295 Posts
That and even LED headlights
It's getting to that stage they need to implement them.
Just look at Acura and Honda, the Honda Accord has them. Infinti needs to get on it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The Toyota Corolla has them!!

But Nissan is going there, The Q50 has LED headlights, and the new Rogue has LED headlights as well, so I'm sure it will roll out to new vehicles soon.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Mercedes doesn't offer xenon standard on many of their models.

its kind of crazy

The JX headlights do seem to receive some complaints.

Not entirely sure where the weakness is.

People have tried to upgrade their bulbs with no real luck.

Possible its the fog lens? Maybe a clear lens will help? or maybe the projector just is no good.. Strange because the G37 projectors I had were great.

·
Registered
136 Posts
^ ya the projectors in my M35x are pretty good too - no issues with light output. I think the QX60 is pretty good too - or I thought so until today at a stop light a Volvo XC60 pulled up next to me and it had very noticeably more brighter lights :( Maybe its the ballast system - could it be a 35W system instead of 55W? Not sure how much difference that makes. I have 35W projectors in my Yamaha R1 in stock projector housing and its light output is almost comparable to both of my Infiniti's....

If there is a mod I can do to increase my light output - I wanna know :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
I heard M series projectors are usually good. @Avishal... higher output HID's are always a great way to get more light.

·
Registered
136 Posts
^ @QxSixty, do you mean higher K bulbs (6000K as opposed to stock 4300ish K?) or upgrading to higher wattage ballasts? I will consider putting in 6000K bulbs in at some point (Philips D2S bulbs are expensive though... ) but don't want to get into upgrading ballasts etc. The QX just hit 1000kms on the main odo today :)

After seeing the front of my M today on the road (the wife was driving..) even the stock bulbs seem pretty white to me - I haven't changed them to 6000K on my M because I'm too lazy to do all that work (getting at the bulb from the wheel well with tires off...) just for slightly more whiter light output :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
^ @QxSixty, do you mean higher K bulbs (6000K as opposed to stock 4300ish K?) or upgrading to higher wattage ballasts? I will consider putting in 6000K bulbs in at some point (Philips D2S bulbs are expensive though... ) but don't want to get into upgrading ballasts etc. The QX just hit 1000kms on the main odo today :)

After seeing the front of my M today on the road (the wife was driving..) even the stock bulbs seem pretty white to me - I haven't changed them to 6000K on my M because I'm too lazy to do all that work (getting at the bulb from the wheel well with tires off...) just for slightly more whiter light output :D
If you're looking for brighter output, 6000k is actually worse. So you'd need to change to a 55W ballast.

If you're looking to change just the bulb, there's no reason to pull out the tire and wheel well. I've switched mine to 5000k without any problems at all by just going through the hood.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The most effective way to increase your lighting is to upgrade to a 55 watt ballast.

Morimoto 5Five Ballasts (AMP) - HID Ballasts from The Retrofit Source Inc

This should work for the JX/QX60

If you have money and you REALLY want the brightest lights possible
Denso Slim Ballasts (100W Supercharged) - HID Ballasts from The Retrofit Source Inc

But I would be worried about the internals of the headlights melting from the heat coming out from the bulb

Keep in mind when upgrading to the 55watt ballasts that you will probably loose some life on the bulbs in replacement for more light.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you're looking for brighter output, 6000k is actually worse. So you'd need to change to a 55W ballast.

If you're looking to change just the bulb, there's no reason to pull out the tire and wheel well. I've switched mine to 5000k without any problems at all by just going through the hood.
^I meant I have to pull out the wheel on my M35x to get at the back of the low beam portion of the headlight... good to know its a lot easier on the QX :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I put a spacer on the bulb to see if that helps at all. Will report back tonight(or tomorrow morning) with my findings.

I used a piece of copper wire to add a space. Will detail it if it works.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am not 100% sure if the bulb I changed is seated properly. Will check it tomorrow and see if it makes a difference, but here are the initial results. The pictures are taken focused on the light so you can see the subtle differences between the outputs. These are also osram nightbreakers, not oem bulbs. (nightbreaker is the new name for svs bulbs)

Spaced bulb is on the left.

Low beam.

High beam.

·
Registered
169 Posts
So unfocused. I miss that well defined white line of so many other cars. I do love the left bulb though. That curvature is pretty unlike the right bulb, it's direct, brutal.

I think this is a reflector issue rather than a lens issue. Anyone else?

·
Registered
41 Posts
So unfocused. I miss that well defined white line of so many other cars. I do love the left bulb though. That curvature is pretty unlike the right bulb, it's direct, brutal.

I think this is a reflector issue rather than a lens issue. Anyone else?
Going to go outside a little later and re-seat the bulb and see if there are any changes. Kinda tough when it's 12 degrees.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am looking for tips on swapping my bulbs, too. Have everything pulled apart now, but can't figure out how to get the HID bulb out. Anybody here that can offer assistance? I appreciate it!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts