Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a set of Morimoto fog lights for DRLs. I plan to wire them to an "accessory" circuit and have them on full time, night and day. Anyone know of a handy power tap for this switched power? It's only 6W total.

Our 13 Pathfinder would keep the headlights and fog lights on full time by putting the headlights on auto and turning the fogs on. It doesn't work with this car, that's odd!

·
Registered
683 Posts
I got a set of Morimoto fog lights for DRLs. I plan to wire them to an "accessory" circuit and have them on full time, night and day. Anyone know of a handy power tap for this switched power? It's only 6W total.

Our 13 Pathfinder would keep the headlights and fog lights on full time by putting the headlights on auto and turning the fogs on. It doesn't work with this car, that's odd!
When wiring my dashcam I found two open "aways on" slots, but no open "accessory" slots so I added a jumper fuse. You can get them cheap on ebay, but here is an example at Amazon.

Link

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When wiring my dashcam I found two open "aways on" slots, but no open "accessory" slots so I added a jumper fuse. You can get them cheap on ebay, but here is an example at Amazon.

Link
So this is inside. I don't want to go through the firewall, I had to do that when I replaced the PF's Bose subwoofer with a Kicker Hideaway. I about cut my hands off under the dash. But I like this idea, I don't want to cut or splice any wires in case there are electrical problems somewhere on the car, and they blame it on my light wiring.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That module box is pretty cool! I wonder if it senses "high" current flow when the motor is running, makes a logical conclusion that the motor must be running, and switches the power on? This project is sounding easier...

As of last night, I was thinking that I would buy one of the accessory switches that fits in the 4x2 switch panel, get one of fuse jumpers shown above, and bite the bullet running a wire through the dash. Then I could switch the fogs off if needed.

Why would I want to switch off? I used to put a hitch mount bike rack on the PF, and 4 bikes on. Add all ancillary gear to cargo area, and it really squats the rear down, aiming the lights and fogs into oncoming driver's eyes. With the QX, I can aim the headlights down (nice feature), but would like to kill the fogs, too.

Hmmm... tough choice here, but thanks for the links to the fun stuff!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got the box and installed the fogs. The box works as intended, but I am wondering if its output voltage is somewhat low. As is, these fogs aren't very bright. At full dark, if I turn on just my park lights, and drive around with the fogs on (no headlights), they are absolutely not enough light, not even at 20mph. My bicycle LED lights are a lot brighter.

As it turns out, to keep the polarity convention the same from the box to the light, the pin-out required on the light is backwards so I can't just hook them up to the stock harness to see how bright they would be I need to make a gender-bender harness to switch polarity, I will post those results.

·
Registered
169 Posts
That seems weird. if the polarity is off, it shouldn't even light up. Does the light have 2 modes? like low and high depending on how it's wired?

if you're trying to compete with a 55watt fog light, i'm not sure you're gonna get it because the morimotos are only 1200lumens.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I mean the polarity of the electronic DRL switch, is opposite the car's harness. I did try the Mori's with the stock harness first, they didn't light. My gender-bender will be so I can plug the Mori's into the stock harness without trying to change the pins in the plugs.

I was looking at the car in the daylight, the reflections off the chrome trim ring were brighter than the lights :) In fact, I replaced the incandescent park lights with 3W LEDs, they are brighter than the fogs. Oh well, I won't have to switch them off at night to keep from offending oncoming cars!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I was thinking about this the other day. I wonder if you're losing voltage. Have you tried connecting it directly to the battery? If you can't, I would try hooking it up to a 9V battery and seeing if you're getting greater output which would be opposite of what you'd expect since the car battery is 12V.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts