Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have guidance when to change Coolant, Brake, and Transmission fluids? Maintenance schedule 2 (less severe) really doesn't address this.

The local dealership suggests following the Severe schedule since Texas gets hot during the summer, but the manuals "severe" definition doesn't align well:
- Coolant: Every year
- Brake fluid: Every year
- Transmission: Didn't know, thought it was the life of the transmission

I'm at 50K and 3 years old.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does anyone have guidance when to change Coolant, Brake, and Transmission fluids? Maintenance schedule 2 (less severe) really doesn't address this.

The local dealership suggests following the Severe schedule since Texas gets hot during the summer, but the manuals "severe" definition doesn't align well:
- Coolant: Every year
- Brake fluid: Every year
- Transmission: Didn't know, thought it was the life of the transmission

I'm at 50K and 3 years old.
brake fluid & coolant every 2 year
they said cvt fluid is life time. but no such thing is life time.
i would change them at 80000K and every 50000K after that

·
Registered
59 Posts
Transmission fluid is good for the life of the transmission... I like that bail out by the manufacturers. Note they don't say how long that life will be. Volvo said that about the transmissions in the XC70. By the time we bought ours a few years into the generation, the model already was notorious for failures as early as 30K miles. I developed a way to flush mine, and have done it 3 times. I currently have 135K on that car with no trans issues.

I plan to do the XC at around 10K. By then, I think all the break-in metal particles in colloidal suspension need to be purged (they are so small they don't sink, they just stay homogenously mixed in, so the ATF is like a liquid grinding compound). By definition of how this CVT works, with the chain always sliding on the pulleys, always wearing more than a typical gear-to-gear, I think that would be extra important.

I was going to do the Pathfinder before we decided to replace it with a the QX. The procedure was easy, you just need a special Nissan tool that looks like a fancy pipe nipple. After dumping the ATF through the drain plug, when filling it back up, when it runs out the tool, you're done. No worrying about operating temperature or dipsticks. The only bummer is the cost of the special Nissan ATF, $20 a quart! I was going to cycle 10 quarts through mine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts