Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone - We finally got the QX60 this weekend - AWD black/wheat with premium plus + deluxe touring + theater + tech and a few accessories (bumper protector, cargo package, roof rails and crossbars).

We currently have a G37x but with a kid and longer commute - we have become a 2 car family. The wife and baby get the QX60, loaded with everything, and I get a '14 VW Passat TDI SE manual.

In our exhaustive search, we finally concluded that the only thing that matched the QX60 on all dimensions and then went some was the Mercedes GL. However, a comparably equipped GL would cost almost 23 grand extra.

The QX60 satisfied almost all our needs. Have only driven it around for a day but we are very satisfied so far.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Its crazy the price difference between the QX60 and the GL, eh?

What were you driving before you picked up your QX60? And some pics would be awesome!

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
323 Posts
welcome to the forum.
Mercedes always have vehicles priced high like that, and when you add the features you want the price skyrockets. No thanks. Good choice

·
Super Moderator
563 Posts
I priced out the GL and ML when shopping for the JX. As much as I really liked the looks of both, they in my opinion are over-priced. I traded in a 2001 ML and when looking at the latest version, not much had changed. Yes the technology was updated, but quite frankly for the money, I wanted something that looked more updated and had the technology that came with the Infiniti products.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I test drove the GL and it absolutely stands up to all the awesome reviews. The ride is amazing and the cabin is whisper quiet.

That said, MB models are significantly overpriced compared to everything else. I guess you would buy an MB if you really had extra money to burn. Or - more commonly - you were so hung up on the brand that you would get a bare bones model just to claim that you drive a MB.

Audi is another disappointing over-hyped brand. Their Q5 and Q7 are essentially 2003/04 models that have only undergone cosmetic updates ever since. The quality of the interior is definitely very nice and I think their vehicles look good but there is no way one should be paying that much for a decade old design.

I think BMW makes nice cars that are not too insanely priced (given the brand cachet they have). Unfortunately the X5 is simply too small and they had nothing comparable to the JX.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I test drove the GL and it absolutely stands up to all the awesome reviews. The ride is amazing and the cabin is whisper quiet.

That said, MB models are significantly overpriced compared to everything else. I guess you would buy an MB if you really had extra money to burn. Or - more commonly - you were so hung up on the brand that you would get a bare bones model just to claim that you drive a MB.

Audi is another disappointing over-hyped brand. Their Q5 and Q7 are essentially 2003/04 models that have only undergone cosmetic updates ever since. The quality of the interior is definitely very nice and I think their vehicles look good but there is no way one should be paying that much for a decade old design.

I think BMW makes nice cars that are not too insanely priced (given the brand cachet they have). Unfortunately the X5 is simply too small and they had nothing comparable to the JX.
I agree with most of what you said here. But the German cars' structural solidity is undeniable and something our Infinitis lack. My QX60 feels flinty and skittish over the road compared to a Q7 I used to have and even my wife's VW Touareg. That said, tech wise, the Germans are where the Japanese cars were 4 or 5 years ago.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Infiniti is doing really well at the tech game, I agree. I'm not so sure that the ride is skittish though. When I test drove the QX60 I found it to drive quite nicely for what it is. I mean I'm not looking for a car like this that has performance suspension and handling.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Infiniti is doing really well at the tech game, I agree. I'm not so sure that the ride is skittish though. When I test drove the QX60 I found it to drive quite nicely for what it is. I mean I'm not looking for a car like this that has performance suspension and handling.
By "skittish" I meant light and a bit dainty compared to some of those German cars that feel like they crush the road they travel over.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By "skittish" I meant light and a bit dainty compared to some of those German cars that feel like they crush the road they travel over.
Agreed. The GL does feel like a tank - a very nice, comfortable, quiet tank.

I think Infiniti has gone a tad too light on steering heft in the QX60. I am not at all asking for 3-series / G37 levels of feedback but there almost seems to be almost no heft to the steering.

Great at parking speeds but a little bit unsettling at highway speeds.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Infiniti is doing really well at the tech game, I agree.
Agree. Although BMW has a very cool HUD feature. It almost swayed me into getting the X5 but the space was just not there.

That said, the resolution on the screen in the QX60 is just terrible. It is basically the same as my 2011 G37x but on a larger screen . I was definitely expecting a better screen given that you can get ultra high resolution in no-name smartphones these days!

·
Registered
323 Posts
at least now with one major mobile automotive tech company (Garmin?) we'll eventually have the ability to add heads up display to just about any car out their. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts