Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

Finally dropped my QX60 off for it's first oil change this week (3,750). We had a slight noise in the blower motor (I didn't really notice it, but it bothered my wife). So for now, we are driving a loaner 2015 QX50 (which is also nice).

My first long trip gas mileage was pretty decent (25.4) going from MD to Ohio for Thanksgiving. Around town with winter blends, I have been averaging 19-20MPG in stop & go driving. On the highway driven more aggressively, seems to get me closer to 23.

No complaints so far...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I feel lucky that I don't have to drop my car off for anything. I hate other people monkeying with my stuff. This was my first oil change at 500 miles. I cut the filter can open, extracted the pleated filtering media, and stretched out out do I could see what was in it. Lots of chunks and glitter!

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am at three months of ownership and 1600 miles. Most probably I will drop off mine in a week for sythentic oil.

Are you going for conventional oil or synthetic?
Viscosity if you know?
I'm just sticking with conventional and the factory specs. I might have chosen synthetic if I was doing myself.

I paid $1,195 at purchase for lifetime oil changes, tire rotations, and car washes. In hindsight, I should have just saved my money. My only consolation is that they will be doing the oil changes at the 3,750 interval.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I feel lucky that I don't have to drop my car off for anything. I hate other people monkeying with my stuff. This was my first oil change at 500 miles. I cut the filter can open, extracted the pleated filtering media, and stretched out out do I could see what was in it. Lots of chunks and glitter!
A lift in your garage? Soooo jealous...

I'd do my own oil changes as well if I had a lift.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The lift is in my detached garage. If I had my life to live over again, I would get a lift before I got a car! It's great for all kinds of stupid crap like changing rear axle differential gear ratios. When I had the QX on the lift once, I noticed grease slung around the inside of one of the rear wheels. What the heck? Sitting on my stool under the car, I was able to quickly trace it to a warrantable nick in the CV boot. It's pretty handy, and if your ceiling is high enough, you can double stack to park 2 cars in one space.

Back to oils... Whenever I have a fresh engine, I break it in with conventional oil for about 10K miles, then switch to synthetic. The theory is that synthetic is so slippery that the rings don't "seat", which is where they and the cylinder walls mutually wear each other into a perfect fit for maximum compression. BUT, this car recommends 0W20, which is only available in synthetic. So I broke my rules and went synthetic at 500 miles. Time will tell, I guess!

To help the rings seat, I give the motor a few zings to redline under light throttle when it's brand new. The extra "new" friction creates quick heat to "scrape" off high points of the cylinder cross-hone, and give maximum piston excursion to wear the hone as high as possible in the cylinder.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts