Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Close to finding the car we want. Likely will be without a few options/accessories we would like.

Specifically, tow hitch, bumper protector & illuminated kick plates.

At the end of the day, any real difference in final product if dealer does this install rather than at the factory?

Thanks!

Bill

·
Registered
313 Posts
I know with imports it's always cheaper to have things done at the port (like illuminated door sills, rear bumper protectors, etc) than to have them done at the dealership. Not sure with the qx60 since it's built in the US but I'd still guess the dealership will be more money.

Just an opinion, I paid for illuminated door sills on a 2010 car I had (that was 3 cars ago) and I won't pay for them again. They are cool to see in brochures etc but honestly the 'thrill' wore off quick and you don't even notice em after a while. Even passengers didn't really notice them. I'd just rather put the money for them elsewhere but again, just my opinion having had em'.

·
Super Moderator
563 Posts
The dealership typically out our way is charging up to $800 to install the trailer hitch and trim piece. I've seen the work and it looks factory. We had the illuminated kick plates from the factory and actually like them. Yes its a novelty and not necessary, but they do look nice. Its personal preference.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. You are right, labor could make that decision easy. I won't have any extra expense, just wondering whether a dealer install would be less satisfactory. As to the kick plates, I have had them on the last few cars I bought. I think they look pretty nice and the cost is minimal. Though I have never seen them as an extra stand alone accessory before.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Preference is for factory installed tow hitch. Yes, any particular Infiniti dealer can order hitch parts (3 pieces) and install for a cost as noted above, but the install involves cutting into the rear bumper. Just make sure they've done it before.

I was told the tow hitch option is not a popular item, less then 10% of owners order it, so many QX60's do not have it from factory.
In my case, I wanted one and had the dealer install at time of purchase. I made them redo it twice as the first install was sloppy. But when it's done it looks nice, integrated into the rear bumper.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Your welcome!
Let us know what you decide on.

Note that by having dealer install at time of purchase, the tow hitch gets covered under the vehicle's 4 yrs warranty. Having dealer install, say a few months/weeks later, they only cover for a year I think, less then the 4 year vehicle warranty.
that i did not know. thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Thankfully it gets covered. I've seen hitches that develop stress cracks over time which compromise their safety and durability

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
If you can find a vehicle that already has those things on, you'll pay less. Not sure what the labor is on Illuminated Kick Plates, but tow hitch installed by dealer will cost you between $800-$1000. FWIW, the installation isn't trivial. We have to take apart much of the back of the car to get to where the wiring harness gets installed. Also, trimming the bumper is a delicate operation that should be done carefully. That said, the one you'll get from a dealer will look and perform exactly the same as the factory install. And it looks much better than what you'll get from a 3rd party tow install.

If all you're going to do is put bikes back there, you could save some money by opting out of the wiring harness. The hardware isn't that expensive, but it is a significant component of the install time.

Apropos of dgandbver's comment above, if you have the dealer install it, ask him nicely if he would make sure the tech who does the work has done one or two JX/QX60 tow installs already. It goes much smoother the second time around.

IKP's are another PITA install. Again, if you can find a car in stock somewhere that already has them, you'll save some $$.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good advice and intuitive as well. Price is set. Issue is whether we grab a car from another dealer or order one. The grab requires a few add-ons, but doesn't involve a wait. If I was paying the labor, I would wait.

But thanks much.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Crest dealership did a sloppy job installing my hitch, one of the main bolts almost fell out, and the plastic had to be repositioned by the sales rep (on his hands and knees).

I asked another dealership (Grubbs) to verify it was installed correctly, they said I needed to go back to Crest since it's not warranted by Infiniti, only by the installer.

I recommend getting all options installed by the factory.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts