Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day everyone,

I'm new and this my 1st time writing here! I recently trade in my 2012 FX35 with 2017 AWD QX60.

I'm looking to install factory Tow receiver/hitch and would like to see if anyone done this on a QX60 has a Kick Motion lift gate like my car! I contacted my nearest Inifiniti dealership to get a quote for parts and labor. I know that I need: 1-Hitch $250.00 2-Finisher $75.00 3-Wire kit 95.00 and the asked for $200 installation fee, which is pretty reasonable! Of course if I do it myself will save the $200 and some more on parts if I purchase them online.
But when I asked them if the kick motion left gate will stay functional, they told me, ohhh the sensor would have to be replaces with a new part that adds another $399.00 after discounted from $484.29 (PART #285T0-6JA0B ).

Why do I need to replace the SENSOR ASSEMBLY? Is there any way that I can avoid spend that $399 and keep the sensor assembly that I have stay functional?

Thanks
John

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I know it is hard to believe, but the dealer didn't lie to you. Yes, you have to replace the sensor. It is a different sensor if you have the tow package.

If it were me, I'd forego the rockette kick to open and not spend the money on the extra sensor.

Reactions: infinitiguy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Sinecure!

I wonder if someone replace the sensor can share his experience and tips, to see if I can do it myself. I can get the parts cheaper online and save money by doing it myself!

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Good luck with that. From talking with technicians, it isn't easy and it takes a bunch of time. Re-wire, re-place sensors, then put the whole guts of the rear/inside of car back together.

Kick to open was one of the features I was psyched to see us get, that then disappointed once I tried it. It sells cars, but in practice in the real world, it isn't as cool as it looks in the advertisements.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sinecure

Ohhh waaaw that's is something beyond my ability haha. I can do the rest myself but for now I'll skip replacing the sensor!

I agree, it's not perfect and sometimes it's not working! Well, we can live without it but I can't live without a Hitch, thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. Hope is not yo late to share
I installed a few tow hitchs including with the sensor.
Is quite simple but it takes some time.
For the sensor one you will need to remove the bumper starting with the tail lamps and remove the sensor assembly that is held by clips.
Then you need to cut the bumper using the template included in the finisher molding box. Carefull not to cut more than needed where the clips from the finisher trim will fit through.
Attach the finisher trim to the newly cut bumper n install the new kick sensor.
The tow hitch will go after u will have to remove the charcoal canister n the spare tire. I think infiniti offers instructions on some website that have puctures on how to install the harness. Is not hard but not easy to explain on text
Good luck

·
Registered
74 Posts
Before you fork out cash for these parts new ... check car-part.com

I know for a fact that that Nissan Heaven in Houston has multiple wiring harnesses and trailer hitch receivers on the lot.

I'd try and source the receiver second-hand and see if you can get the wiring harness second hand as well -- but given the labor it takes to get it out of a car it might not be worth it for a salvage yard.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know it is hard to believe, but the dealer didn't lie to you. Yes, you have to replace the sensor. It is a different sensor if you have the tow package.

If it were me, I'd forego the rockette kick to open and not spend the money on the extra sensor.
Hello, brand new to the forum. I have the same problem as the person above. I was told 6hrs of labor by two different dealers. I’m planning on doing the job myself. So when you delete the motion sensor is there a dummy plug that replaces it? Or do you leave it connected and it’s just not going to work? Can’t find info on the interweb :(
Any help greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I'm pretty sure that if you leave the existing sensor alone, you'll be fine. Just install the tow hitch. You may still have kick-to-open, but my guess is you'll get tired of bruising your shin pretty quickly and just revert to using the button. YMMV

1 - 9 of 9 Posts