Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a weird issue when it is raining (which it does a LOT here in the Pacific Northwest, lol). Anyone experiencing anything like this?

Any advice to isolate this further would help.

So what happens is this:

Conditions Required: Raining + car in motion above 15mph

Noise type observed: "Dripping"-ish sound. It is irregular, and sometimes similar to "creaking". Unaffected by bumps on road.

Where is noise observed: From the driver door. "Feels like" it is coming from closer to the B pillar area.

When does noise go away: When you come to a full stop (even if it is raining, there is no noise). OR if rain stops :)

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
This is the first time I've heard of this issue on this forum. I have the 2013 JX and live in the same region as you do and have never experienced this issue. Have you tried taking it back to your dealership to see if they can isolate the problem?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the first time I've heard of this issue on this forum. I have the 2013 JX and live in the same region as you do and have never experienced this issue. Have you tried taking it back to your dealership to see if they can isolate the problem?
Thanks for your reply. Not yet, I just found this yesterday driving south on I-5 in pouring rain. It seems like I can hear a very faint movement in the door when it is NOT raining too, I think the rain probably "lubricates" whatever that movement is and makes it more evident. I think driving around another week or so will probably make this whole thing more pronounced (rain or no rain), and then a trip to the dealer will likely make it easier to reproduce.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
There was a couple owners early on that had a problem with a leaking moon roof. I doubt thats your problem, but its worth checking to see if water is coming in from that area. It could be a weather stripping issue. I just had the weather striping that resides on the leading edge of the left front door and seals against the driver's door (it came detached while I was trying to exit the car on the lower deck of the Yakima...you know how the ferry loaders squeeze you in). It was replace under warranty. The only other thing I can think of that would create a noise there is the wiring in the B pillar. I had a weird intermittent rattle on the right side that Infiniti of Tacoma at Fife found and fixed. Keep us posted. There should be plenty of rain this week to see if you can replicate it. Ideally, get it over to the dealership if you can when its raining and have the technician take it on the road with you. Thats what my dealership did.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks BobOB - it was pouring today and I could very clearly hear the sound. So I did the following experiment:

1) Drove the SUV (30-40mph) and leaned my ear against the door. Yes, clearly hear the dripping sound. It was more like intermittent "pouring" sound. Just like water was pouring down the inside of the door against the metal frame. Stopped and checked, and there is no water to be found "in" the door (mainly from visual inspection and also trying to 'feel' for water).

2) Had my wife drive the SUV, and I was in the passenger's seat (yes, I got teased about this ;) ). At first couldn't hear the sound, but very soon the same sound could be heard against the passenger door as well. I also switched to the rear of the SUV passengers' sides (both sides) and could very clearly hear the same sound.

Here's the kicker --

3) On a hunch, I say, what the heck and take my PRIUS (1yr old) in the same pouring rain. Within 30 seconds of reaching the same driving conditions (30-40mph, in the same pouring rain), I could hear the EXACT SAME SOUNDS. I have been driving this car for months now and never realized this sound existed. Then again, I generally dont drive the Prius when it pours like this, usually opt for the Honda Odyssey (which we traded for the QX60). I dont remember hearing the "dripping/pouring" sounds in the Odyssey, but at this point, I dont trust my memory :)

At this point, I think unless there is water actually leaking into the cabin (so far, no sign of that, knock on wood), this might be actually be "normal"... Or perhaps I am hearing things and going crazy ::lol::

Would really appreciate if someone happens to drive in the same rainy conditions could corroborate this experiment :)

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
I drove around our neighborhood last night during the rain at low speed and actually could hear something similar to what you are reporting but it stopped as soon as I stepped on the gas. It sounded like water rushing underneath the car pushing towards the rear mud guard.

I'd still take it to the dealership to see if they can find it, and/or take a test drive in a similar model to see if it does it. Since we are still going to get heavy rain the next few days, it might be worth a try. Very baffling.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In my case, it feels like the water is rushing down from the top of the car downward toward the bottom of the door, with the sound itself coming from around the B pillar area. It didnt rain today so couldnt check it, but I'd imagine we dont have to wait that long for the rains to start :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Confirmed. 2015 QX60 AWD with roof rails. I have the same exact thing happening. Driver side B-pillar-ish. While at speed, there's a tapping sound. I suppose it can be thought of as a dripping sound. Definitely not a "flowing" sound. Another description of what it is would be like having a fabric strap hanging out of the window, with the window up; the sound that a strap would make in the wind as it flaps around and taps against the B-pillar of the car; sort of inconsistent. It's not raining today, but it was pretty foggy this morning and there was a good amount of moisture accumulation on the outside of the car. Highway road surface was dry.

To be clear, the tapping sound is not as frequent as would be the case with a strap flapping around outside the car. It's more like 1 tap every 2-4 seconds.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Confirmed. 2015 QX60 AWD with roof rails. I have the same exact thing happening. Driver side B-pillar-ish. While at speed, there's a tapping sound. I suppose it can be thought of as a dripping sound. Definitely not a "flowing" sound. Another description of what it is would be like having a fabric strap hanging out of the window, with the window up; the sound that a strap would make in the wind as it flaps around and taps against the B-pillar of the car; sort of inconsistent. It's not raining today, but it was pretty foggy this morning and there was a good amount of moisture accumulation on the outside of the car. Highway road surface was dry.

To be clear, the tapping sound is not as frequent as would be the case with a strap flapping around outside the car. It's more like 1 tap every 2-4 seconds.
Sounds a bit different from my issue... perhaps something (wires?) is loose inside the B pillar?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts