Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think a diesel QX60 could sell very well, when you consider that BMW, Audi and Mercedes all offer diesel options in this segment its a little strange that Infiniti is leaving that piece of the pie on the table...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think a diesel QX60 could sell very well, when you consider that BMW, Audi and Mercedes all offer diesel options in this segment its a little strange that Infiniti is leaving that piece of the pie on the table...

Diesel is an European thing, while the Japanese carmakers go with Hybrid. and American carmakers have Flexfuel.....

·
Registered
169 Posts
Diesel in passenger cars is a european thing in that euro car makers love diesel.

Here in the states, we actually use diesel alot, trucks and home heating oil. Diesel in passenger cars is picking up thanks to VW and Audi. I actually want a diesel hybrid :).

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Diesel in passenger cars is a european thing in that euro car makers love diesel.

Here in the states, we actually use diesel alot, trucks and home heating oil. Diesel in passenger cars is picking up thanks to VW and Audi. I actually want a diesel hybrid :).
SAME! imagine the low down torque from diesel and electric ;)

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think the Q50 is supposed to be a diesel in some nation, They need to expand on it in N/A. Can't let VW be the only folks making a diesel sedan

·
Registered
89 Posts
The QX60 already sells really well though. I think that Infiniti is going with a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" strategy. Does Infiniti/Nissan use diesel in any of its other models?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Likely that's the case.
But it's still easy to tell what people would want, or what would add more value to it and make it one up from the rest.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Infiniti is coming out with diesel models, but they will not be sold in the United States, at least for the time being. They will be sold in the European market for now.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I saw an FX Diesel when I was in France last September... I remember thinking it would be nice if they had these diesels here.

But after seriously considering a VW Touareg Diesel (before buying my 14 QX60 :D ) I realized that in North America, the extra cost of buying a diesel equipped car/SUV is just not worth it. Last time I checked, here in Calgary AB, (Canada) the cost of premium gasoline was $1.15 per litre and Diesel was $1.29 per litre. Even with better mileage results from a Diesel, you will never make the money back. Unless your main goal is to have tons of torque.

Just my two cents :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
i think it's even more possible for them on a global scale if they keep their partnership with MB and use their diesels, best way to jump right into it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nah feck MB they have Renault... Infiniti already has the necessary pieces at home. The first diesel engine ever produced by the Nissan Renault alliance was the V6 DCI engine, it was designed to be a global powerplant.

Figures on the DCI are capabile of reaching 265 hp and 405 lb-fts of twist, more then enough to tow the family boat or the starbucks shuffle.

Renault.com - V6 dCi

·
Registered
295 Posts
Didn't even know that.
At least now they can bring over something from Renault, they do own them after all, right?

Now, how likely is this to happen?
They were reported to have a rough 2 years, so that already proof it wont happen within the next 2 years.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I saw an FX Diesel when I was in France last September... I remember thinking it would be nice if they had these diesels here.

But after seriously considering a VW Touareg Diesel (before buying my 14 QX60 :D ) I realized that in North America, the extra cost of buying a diesel equipped car/SUV is just not worth it. Last time I checked, here in Calgary AB, (Canada) the cost of premium gasoline was $1.15 per litre and Diesel was $1.29 per litre. Even with better mileage results from a Diesel, you will never make the money back. Unless your main goal is to have tons of torque.

This is true. The market for diesels is small. So supply and demand rules.. Its going to be expensive

But if they had better pricing for the diesel it would make it a no brainer.

Also depends how much you travel I guess. The torque is nice :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

you make the money back faster on a diesel than a hybrid. And the price gap usually gets closer in the summer time because home heating oil and diesel fuel use the same fuel stock as base.

you know by chance what engine it was in the FX diesel you saw?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Its a 3.0L from renault

When he is talking about the price difference he means the cost difference of the actual car.

For whatever reason (likely economic) the diesel versions are always expensive. Which counter their gas savings.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you work out the numbers, you will see that it will take you almost 10 years of ownership to make up the cash difference in purchasing a brand new diesel (assuming diesel costs are same as premium). I don't have the numbers with me at the moment but I did work it out when I was seriously considering a touareg (almost a $5k difference in purchase price). Assuming you get 15% better mileage - and pump price is the same, if you drive 15k miles a year, you would need about 8.5 years to make up the difference (assuming $4 / gal and 30mpg from diesel as opposed to 24mpg from gas). You can work out the numbers yourself if you like - should be close.

And Hybrids are probably about the same and the added headache of worrying about maintenance after 5 years (at which point you would still not be ahead).

As for the Infiniti in France, it said 3.0d. Like foreverJX said - the 3.0L from Renault.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you work out the numbers, you will see that it will take you almost 10 years of ownership to make up the cash difference in purchasing a brand new diesel (assuming diesel costs are same as premium). I don't have the numbers with me at the moment but I did work it out when I was seriously considering a touareg (almost a $5k difference in purchase price). Assuming you get 15% better mileage - and pump price is the same, if you drive 15k miles a year, you would need about 8.5 years to make up the difference (assuming $4 / gal and 30mpg from diesel as opposed to 24mpg from gas). You can work out the numbers yourself if you like - should be close.

And Hybrids are probably about the same and the added headache of worrying about maintenance after 5 years (at which point you would still not be ahead).

As for the Infiniti in France, it said 3.0d. Like foreverJX said - the 3.0L from Renault.
the payback on hybrids is even longer than on diesel, just because of the additional premium you pay. Average diesel surcharge is in the $3-5K range where a hybrid is hovering at $8-10K premium.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts