Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear fellow Infiniti QX60 enthusiasts,
First of all I just want to say how much of a blessing it was and how thankful I am to find this very informative forum, especially with so many questions and “concerns” I had. You guys are great and I wish everyone the very best with their QX60s and other cars!

So, I read a number of threads on here, but I could not pinpoint one that would address all my questions so that I could add on to it. I apologize in advance if a similar thread exists and if the admins would move it there that would be great. Also, I apologize for the long thread in advance as well 

We are very close to buying our 1st QX60 (overall our 1st Infiniti as well). I have owned a Nissan but Infiniti, per my knowledge is a whole different species. To be honest, our first choice was the 2016 (not the older models) Audi Q7 with all of the redesigns and quality improvements they made. However, since they won’t be available until late January 2016 and with a price tag of 60K+ they quickly came of our choice list. We narrowed it down to the MDX, Highlander and lastly the QX60, with the last winning our 1st looks, research, and quick test drives. It won me over with the longer warranty and the spacious room in the back, while my wife was won over by the 3rd row seating, spacious room and a “noncomplex” dashboard (compared to the MDX).

What we are looking for is a used 14 or 15 (duh ) with AWD, Nav, less than 25K miles, clear CF, and factory warranty and preferably a white exterior (stands out the best, I think!), rest of the options are not of a big concern.

--- Since the 14 and the 15 are almost identical (could not see any big changes) my main concern comes in per my reading of the transmission issues that have given headaches to various owners. This is really where a 15 might be a better choice than a 14 (if the fix was made), but how serious and common is this issue? Or is it just “shifting noise and nuisance”?

--- Price wise we are trying to stay under $38K OOTD price to get the best deal and we are paying cash. We live in the Richmond, VA area and there is only one dealership here (in a 100 mile radius) so not a wide array of choices and marketplace competition. Also, I have friends that go to auctions (Manheim, etc) and I wanted to see if this should be a consideration to take (will it save me a substantial amount of $ and is the risk worth it? (aka do they only send lemons to these places)).
--- Finally, is a CPO (certified pre-owned) a better choice than just a “used” that is still under factory warranty, if you are saving $3-6K? I am not exactly sure how their CPO program works and what it adds to the warranty (factory, Powertrain, etc) and how long. I would be fine paying more if the CPO is worth the extra buck.

Thanks again for taking your time to read this thread and I appreciate any input, advice and direction you all can make. I am willing to travel up to 500 miles to pick it up, so if you know of a good dealer or deal let me know. I have been searching Autotrader and CarGurus almost daily.

Best Wishes,

RVAInfiniti

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
I think the best person on this forum to help answer your question is Sinecure (also our other moderator). He is a top sales representative in the Bay Area and really knows the Infiniti market and could probably give you a good idea what to consider. You mentioned traveling 500 miles to pick up a car. Recently my wife and I purchased a classic Nissan 300 ZX from a very reputable dealership in California and had the car shipped to us here in Washington. We paid $1300 to have it shipped.

If I were buying the JX35 or QX60 used, I'd want a CPO and would also want the longest extended warranty I could purchase. There is so much technology on the car and if something goes wrong, it would be nice to have coverage.

My wife and I have owned 9 Nissan vehicles (including the JX) and have never had a bad problem with any of them. I do have to say, with 42,000 miles on our JX, I'm still very pleased the way it is holding up. The leather still looks fantastic, and overall, the car still looks new.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the best person on this forum to help answer your question is Sinecure (also our other moderator). He is a top sales representative in the Bay Area and really knows the Infiniti market and could probably give you a good idea what to consider. You mentioned traveling 500 miles to pick up a car. Recently my wife and I purchased a classic Nissan 300 ZX from a very reputable dealership in California and had the car shipped to us here in Washington. We paid $1300 to have it shipped.

If I were buying the JX35 or QX60 used, I'd want a CPO and would also want the longest extended warranty I could purchase. There is so much technology on the car and if something goes wrong, it would be nice to have coverage.

My wife and I have owned 9 Nissan vehicles (including the JX) and have never had a bad problem with any of them. I do have to say, with 42,000 miles on our JX, I'm still very pleased the way it is holding up. The leather still looks fantastic, and overall, the car still looks new.
Thank you so much. Our Nissan has done very well so far.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I always laugh when people tell me they want the best deal so they are paying cash. We don't care if you pay cash. Actually, overall the dealership would prefer you finance the car. Pay it all off in 3 months if you want. But we frequently get some sort of little payment from the bank for sending finance business their way. And if the dealer wants, they can jack up the interest rate a little to make some money. Again, if you're going to pay the whole thing off in 3 months, your interest payments over that time will be negligible. But if the dealer made $500 extra from the bank - you may be able to get a slightly better deal on the sale price. Bottom line, your check is just as good as the bank's - sometimes theirs is better.

CPO - you get 2 more years of coverage. No brainer. Plus you know that a dealer went over the car very carefully and did any maintenance that was due. Or, buy an extended warranty from the dealer's finance department. It will cover more than the CPO, last longer and you can ask them to deduct the $$ that they'd have sent to Infiniti for the CPO portion.

14 and 15 are the same. Pick one and go for an extended test drive on various road conditions. You'll get a better deal on a '14.

We have really nice CPO '14's in stock right now for $40K-$45K depending on options. We have three - all with less than 15K miles. They were our service loaner cars for the past year. So 3 years left on the original warranty. Shipping to VA would probably cost $1K.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Sinecure!
This is all very good information.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts