Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We purchased a 2014 Infiniti QX60 in February of last year from a used car dealership. In October of last year, we identified what seemed to be a roof leak soaking through to the driver's side column/pillar (support span on the side of the windshield). The leak became obvious, soaking and staining the column fabric. We brought the car to a local Infiniti dealership in October and they thought they fixed it, but the leak never actually stopped.

Unfortunately, the regular bumper-to-bumper 4-year warranty expired in November of last year. Also in November, I notified the dealership that the leak was not fixed, but we didn't bring the car in until the next oil change, which was in February of this year (poor choice in retrospect, but we had no idea how this issue would snowball).

Now the dealership has the car and has been working on fixing the leak for two weeks, but they can't. They are telling us the leak is coming from an area in the roof that is completely inaccessible. In addition, they are saying that since the warranty is now over, they won't do anything else and we're just stuck with a leaky car. This is despite the fact that we originally identified the leak last October when the warranty was still active, and work was done at that time.

We are the second owners of the car, and no other repair work has been identified that would void the warranty. What can we do? Has anyone else had this issue?

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Call Infiniti consumer affairs. I suspect you'll get a resolution you can live with. Explain the timeline and that you brought car to dealer while still in warranty - they tried but failed to fix.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure your problem is clogged drain hoses for the sunroof, but I'm just armchair quarterbacking, so I could very well be wrong. Either way, dealer is going to have to remove the headliner, which is a PITA.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have the 2013 JX-35, and it, too, has a leak that apparently has 8 gallons of water between the underneath frame and the passenger side carpeting. SaUV is at dealer now with an estimate of $650.00 to repair. A class action law suit is warranted in my opinion, since there are so many other owners with the same problem. Our drains should not have clogged because we always garage park our SUV and it only has 50,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Same issue here with my 2014. After Infiniti replacing the sunroof, clearing drains, replacing pillars A and B I still have water running down the interior of my windshield every morning. Infiniti ozone treated my vehicle, but the smell of mildew is apparent. They also gutted my QX60 and replaced the entire carpet assembly due to mold. Albeit on their dime, over $4,000 in repairs has yet to solve the issue. Additionally, my windshield was replaced at the dealership by their Infiniti authorized glass company and the entire vehicle pressure tested for leaks. That company said it was not the windshield as Infiniti had thought. With a newborn and this vehicle as my primary means of transportation, I'm trying to figure out what's next. I emailed the Service Manager today with detailed pictures of my continued issues. I picked up my vehicle less than a month ago, after having all the repairs listed above. There were 2 additional repairs prior to that, in an attempt to solve the issue. Those were replace seal on sunroof and later a repair to clear the left sunroof drain. This process started 4 months ago. The dealership has been in possession of my vehicle for a cumulative 32 days so far for these repairs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow, this is bad. I know from experience this issue affects many brands, VW being famous for leaks. The biggest issue is from cars that regularly park under evergreen trees, trees that drop needles. These plug up the sunroof drains.

A regular clearing of the 2 front drains is all an owner can do, the 2 rear drains of the sunroof are not really accessible.
I run a length of thin diameter weed wacker line down each drain hole, don't force it, as you can dislodge the plastic / rubber drain tube from the drain port.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My QX60 is under warranty, so I don't foresee myself doing any of that work. After having my vehicle back less than a week, I encountered water staining that appeared on the headliner and heavy condensation resulting in interior windshield freezing. Again, it is back at Infiniti for at least a week. This time, they removed the windshield and dash. In doing so, they discovered a missing grommet that was allowing water to be forced back inside the vehicle. Additionally, they discovered that their "Infiniti Certified" glass company who works out of the dealership botched my windshield replacement from last year. The seal at the roof line on the windshield had pockets of air that would burst, creating channels for water to intrude my interior. My QX60 is currently gutted again, sitting at Infiniti stripped of nearly 100% of it's interior.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow, that's great that the root cause has been discovered, but what a nuisance for you to endure.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Update is that although they fixed the latest set of leaks, they found another on the roof, near the rear hatch. They say they suspect a leak under the roof rail but cannot be sure without removing the roof rail. Infiniti wants $1,200 just to find out because the roof rails are a one off part and must be ordered in pairs. They quoted me at $4,600 for the worst scenario where I need an entire roof rail system and hardware installed. Nothing is covered under warranty they say. I told them to do nothing and call me when my car is ready. I contacted a Lemon Law Attorney this morning and plan on pursuing should my case meet the state criteria. After every leak they "fix", they find another... No longer trust the vehicle or service department at this particular location.

·
Registered
475 Posts
They never fixed the leak...the argument it's not under warranty is not reasonable. This is their fault, not yours.

Sounds like a threat to see if you'll go away. My guess is after the Dealership/Infiniti is contacted by your attorney, they will have an attitude adjustment.

·
Registered
70 Posts
They never fixed the leak...the argument it's not under warranty is not reasonable. This is their fault, not yours.

Sounds like a threat to see if you'll go away. My guess is after the Dealership/Infiniti is contacted by your attorney, they will have an attitude adjustment.
After a long morning on the phone with Infiniti Consumer Affairs, I was offered zero. They took the time to read me the warranty clause that applies to water intrusion, where it is covered but only for the manufacturers warranty, not the Elite Wrap. It's all good, because I visited the service center about the water issues before my warranty expired. Those records will serve me well in arbitration if I do not find another alternative. My local Infiniti says it could be a grommet, it could be a body seam separating, it could be a rust hole... But, they KNOW nothing. I got 2 new windshields for no reason at all, lol! Leak is in the back now... Epic!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I went to pick up my car today from Infiniti and when I got in it, there were water stains on nearly every trim piece and headliner that were not there before. Secondly, both of my A Pillars were loosely attached with one clearly hanging off and not affixed correctly. I opened my sun roof screen and a large rubber gasket fell out. It dangled freely near the armrest, half attached to the sunroof. The service manager was not there, but I refused to take possession of my car. My service advisor handed the keys to the loaner back over and I was on my way. We will see what happens next...

·
Registered
475 Posts
Whoever the tech was sounds incompetent. May be the problem. Curious—do you know if the same tech has been working on the leak the whole time?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Whoever the tech was sounds incompetent. May be the problem. Curious—do you know if the same tech has been working on the leak the whole time?
The service manager took all of the blame and apologized profusely... He offered to have my car dropped off at my home, but I'm not sure how I feel about that now. He knows that this incident only added to my claim and will bolster my chances should I pursue arbitration. I have no problem paying to have the leak fixed, but have zero confidence that it will be the last leak they find. They can't even guarantee that at this point... Records show 9 different techs have worked on this issue at various times. Nearly everyone in their entire shop has had a stab at my car, I suspect that was their problem.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Update... I decided to take a look at my QX60 myself after all of this BS with Infiniti and considering the trust lost during this process, I wanted to see the issue myself. Although I was told the roof rails were a one off part that would "have to be replaced because the clips holding it on break when removed." Well, I used my trim tool kit to slowly and carefully remove the roof rail where they suspected the leak to be entering from. I managed to save every clip from destruction and reinstalled the roof rail without issue. Before that, I cleaned the entire channel with alcohol multiple times. In doing so, I found multiple cracks in the weld that runs under the driver's side roof rail. All of the cracks are directly above the area where I was experiencing water intrusion. After consulting a professional welder, I was told to simply repair it myself. They took the time to break it down for me step by step and informed me of the products I would need to complete the repair. I'll update once the repair is complete, but for under $40 the seams will be reworked with a dremel tool, cold welded and then resealed. Infiniti quoted me at over $1,000 just to find out what I did for free. They really made me believe the roof rail could not be saved and that when I had to buy a new one, I had to buy a pair.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts