Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks good. Did you install yourself? Any cutting of the bumper to accommodate? Do they dim when the headlights are turned on? How did you gain access behind where they're installed and up to the battery or fuse box? Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks good. Did you install yourself? Any cutting of the bumper to accommodate? Do they dim when the headlights are turned on? How did you gain access behind where they're installed and up to the battery or fuse box? Thanks!
+1 Looks great! I'm looking to pull the trigger soon on a set of DRLs

·
Registered
17 Posts
Okay, despite the lack of a how-to, I decided I liked the looks of the kit Usc55 used enough to buy them and take the plunge. They're pretty affordable so I wasn't going to be out too much if they disappointed. They didn't. First, I hooked up the lights to the module box and the ACC in the fuse box and made sure everything was working properly. Then I jacked up the car and put it on jack stands so I could removed the front, lower access panel under the bumper and easily work under the car. This was key to getting access to the area behind the slots on the lower bumper where I mounted the DRLs. I also removed the upper front panel under the hood so I could pull the wires up and get a top down perspective. Based on the size of the lights, I knew I was going to have cut the vertical divider in the lower bumper slot. I checked the angle of the top and bottom of that slot and decided it made sense to mount them to the underside of the top as it is more level. The lower edge slants down a bit. This almost meant I could just just the necessary part of the top section of the vertical divider and use the remaining bottom portion as a support. I placed the DRL flush against the top them made a little mark on the vertical divider so I knew where to cut. I used a simple hacksaw to cut through the plastic, which was easy. The light housing then slid right into place and was held there by the remaining bottom portion of the divider. Of course that wouldn't be enough to secure it but nice to know it added support. I then ran the wires down from the battery where the power went into the ACC fuse under the hood. After wiping all surfaces with denatured alcohol, I mounted the DRL module box to the underside of the steel frame behind the bumper on the driver's side using strong, outdoor 3M double sided tape. The steel frame is obvious as it's the only substantial, steel framework behind the bumper. I did this by reaching up from beneath the car. Then I connected the wires from the module box to the lights I temporarily placed in each location. At this point I turned on the ignition and checked again that both lights were working. At this point I wiped surfaces with denatured alcohol again and mounted the lights in to the underside of the bumper slots using more 3M tape. This is a good point to have help so you can slide the light in without the tape adhering until you've got it in the right spot. A second person to pull open the space every so slightly is quite helpful. Once mounted, I ran the wire along the inside of the bumper and tucked it under some existing mounting points, which held it securely. Finally, I pulled the slack up from the top, coiled it, and zip tied it to another large wire near the battery. After initial install, I had the DRLs coming on when the ignition was on and staying on when the headlights were on. After my first night drive it was obvious the DRLs were WAY TOO bright at night. So, I used the provided wire to turn off the DRLs when the headlights are on. I clipped off the included tab on the end of the wire, stripped it and used about half to wrap it around one side of the headlight fuse. After re-inserting into the fuse box a quick test proved successful. I'd prefer the simply dim rather than turn all the way off but staying on all the time wasn't a reasonable option for me. Anyway, I hope this was helpful to anyone considering this upgrade. The car should have come with them in the first place and it looks really good now. It also looks sweet when you use remote start and the DRLs come on along with the parking lights. Shoot me a PM with questions.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Okay, despite the lack of a how-to, I decided I liked the looks of the kit Usc55 used enough to buy them and take the plunge. They're pretty affordable so I wasn't going to be out too much if they disappointed. They didn't. First, I hooked up the lights to the module box and the ACC in the fuse box and made sure everything was working properly. Then I jacked up the car and put it on jack stands so I could removed the front, lower access panel under the bumper and easily work under the car. This was key to getting access to the area behind the slots on the lower bumper where I mounted the DRLs. I also removed the upper front panel under the hood so I could pull the wires up and get a top down perspective. Based on the size of the lights, I knew I was going to have cut the vertical divider in the lower bumper slot. I checked the angle of the top and bottom of that slot and decided it made sense to mount them to the underside of the top as it is more level. The lower edge slants down a bit. This almost meant I could just just the necessary part of the top section of the vertical divider and use the remaining bottom portion as a support. I placed the DRL flush against the top them made a little mark on the vertical divider so I knew where to cut. I used a simple hacksaw to cut through the plastic, which was easy. The light housing then slid right into place and was held there by the remaining bottom portion of the divider. Of course that wouldn't be enough to secure it but nice to know it added support. I then ran the wires down from the battery where the power went into the ACC fuse under the hood. After wiping all surfaces with denatured alcohol, I mounted the DRL module box to the underside of the steel frame behind the bumper on the driver's side using strong, outdoor 3M double sided tape. The steel frame is obvious as it's the only substantial, steel framework behind the bumper. I did this by reaching up from beneath the car. Then I connected the wires from the module box to the lights I temporarily placed in each location. At this point I turned on the ignition and checked again that both lights were working. At this point I wiped surfaces with denatured alcohol again and mounted the lights in to the underside of the bumper slots using more 3M tape. This is a good point to have help so you can slide the light in without the tape adhering until you've got it in the right spot. A second person to pull open the space every so slightly is quite helpful. Once mounted, I ran the wire along the inside of the bumper and tucked it under some existing mounting points, which held it securely. Finally, I pulled the slack up from the top, coiled it, and zip tied it to another large wire near the battery. After initial install, I had the DRLs coming on when the ignition was on and staying on when the headlights were on. After my first night drive it was obvious the DRLs were WAY TOO bright at night. So, I used the provided wire to turn off the DRLs when the headlights are on. I clipped off the included tab on the end of the wire, stripped it and used about half to wrap it around one side of the headlight fuse. After re-inserting into the fuse box a quick test proved successful. I'd prefer the simply dim rather than turn all the way off but staying on all the time wasn't a reasonable option for me. Anyway, I hope this was helpful to anyone considering this upgrade. The car should have come with them in the first place and it looks really good now. It also looks sweet when you use remote start and the DRLs come on along with the parking lights. Shoot me a PM with questions.

looks fantastic, do you have a hybrid? i believe there is no acc 12v switched power (power when car turns on) in the engine bay in the hybrid qx60? DRLs are sounding like a tough project in the hybrid...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Also, what bulbs are you running in the parking lights (bulbs nearest to the center grill) ?
Do a little digging on the site for bulb replacement. There's a post with all the bulbs used to replace throughout the car - inside and out. The same poster also did DRLs on this hybrid and can give you some insight. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my passenger side running light is out and I would like to replace with the original type. Is that the 194 bulb that I saw on a youtube video or is it another number.
thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm interested in this as well. One thing to note is that the bottom side slot of the bumper is angled, so I'm looking for something that has an angle (15 deg?) to it as well.

Here's a photoshop'd picture of how I plan for my recently-purchased QX60 to look on the front end... note the bottom center chrome trim. Of the second pic, I also photoshop'd running boards (which I plan on installing soon).

-TSK
Nice job, so where can I purchase that chrome strip

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm still puzzled why Infiniti has DRLs on most newer models and on Canadian vehicles but none on the JX and QX here in the US. You would think they could provide a dealer installed option for those that don't have the skills to do it themselves. I am very impressed by the work some of our members have done. I know I'd never hear the end of it if I too "smoked" my JX.
Bob That’s strange for US models

21 - 33 of 33 Posts