Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shopping for a JX/QX60 as a replacement for my XC90.
test drove the JX35 and found it sufficient for my needs.

the problem is, I have to drive up a steep hill every day to go home. I've read some horror stories from other Nissan CVT owners about how CVTs will perform poorly or fail sooner if driven frequently on steep hillls...

any thoughts from other JX/QX60 owners?

thanks...

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
The car has Hill Assist and wil hold the brakes on a hill long enough to get you moving forward. Driven lots of steep hills in Tacoma and Seattle and love this feature.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Some CVT info for your perusal:

Try to stop on level surfaces or in a downhill direction (reduces belt wear over the long term).
If you ever smell something burning, stop your QX60 (its probably the belt).
If the CVT begins to vibrate beyond normal, don't continue to drive.

HILLS

• If starting uphill from stopped, use the brake until the transmission engages, don't let QX60 roll back as you push the throttle.
  • Don't utilize the throttle to resist rolling backward (as people do with cars when on an incline)
  • Use the brake to resist backward motion AND release the brake as you press down the throttle
  • If you must go up a steep hill, get a running start (don't try to start from a dead stop)
  • When going down a steep hill, it is fine to allow the CVT to engage so that you have engine braking
  • If pointed uphill when parked, accelerate firmly for 1 second (this allows the belt to grab without slipping).
  • If on a hill or heavily loaded, ask bystanders to help push the vehicle into motion as you press the throttle (as people did with the Model T’s). This reduces stress on the belt and powertrain.

Some of that is a little dated and only applicable to non asphalt surfaces so take it with a grain of salt...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Some CVT info for your perusal:

Try to stop on level surfaces or in a downhill direction (reduces belt wear over the long term).
If you ever smell something burning, stop your QX60 (its probably the belt).
If the CVT begins to vibrate beyond normal, don't continue to drive.

HILLS

• If starting uphill from stopped, use the brake until the transmission engages, don't let QX60 roll back as you push the throttle.
  • Don't utilize the throttle to resist rolling backward (as people do with cars when on an incline)
  • Use the brake to resist backward motion AND release the brake as you press down the throttle
  • If you must go up a steep hill, get a running start (don't try to start from a dead stop)
  • When going down a steep hill, it is fine to allow the CVT to engage so that you have engine braking
  • If pointed uphill when parked, accelerate firmly for 1 second (this allows the belt to grab without slipping).
  • If on a hill or heavily loaded, ask bystanders to help push the vehicle into motion as you press the throttle (as people did with the Model T’s). This reduces stress on the belt and powertrain.

Some of that is a little dated and only applicable to non asphalt surfaces so take it with a grain of salt...
thanks for posting that, with CVT there's a whole different approach people need to take when driving them, getting to know how best to use it is key.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't think you should buy a different car just because you live on a steep hill. You will have to be more careful though so that you don't damage your QX60. I'm sure you'll get use to the CVT transmission pretty quickly though, and once that happens you'll be good to go. :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'd say pretty good advice

You are just trying to limit the slip of the belt.

The hill stop braking helps alot. Use it to your advantage.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Using the brake to stop from rolling back is key, you basically need to work it like how a clutch and gas pedal need to be worked so a car gets in gear properly .

·
Registered
210 Posts
You dont need to use the brake. It will brake for you when its on a hill for a second before it releases. You dont want to be driving forward while the car is rolling back.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Here's my take on this. Keep in mind that I sell Infinitis so I'm biased. Other bits of background. I live at the top of a ridiculously steep hill. If it ever snowed here, it would be hilarious. We joke that there are no green runs to my house, only blues and blacks - ski reference. A neighbor has a JX and loves it - no problems. I had a MDX and currently drive a Pilot (getting replaced by a Q50 soon). I've driven JX's/QX60's to my house and it is fine - not as fun as a G37 or Q50, but fine.

I've driven XC90's. They have V8's and are pretty powerful. Reliability is so-so, and the third row is a PITA - but that's a different subject. The QX60 (and most other suv's in this class) don't have a ton of power. They probably aren't going to go uphill as fast as your XC90. A Cayenne, QX70, and maybe the huge Mercedes or Audi will be more fun to drive uphill. IMO the Merc and Audi are less refined and more expensive, but they should have more juice.

I think you'll love the QX60. If you want to hedge your bets, I'd suggest two idea. Either lease the vehicle so you can decide in three years whether to buy it out and keep it, or return it, or get whatever QX60 equivalent we have then. Or buy an extended warranty if you plan to keep it a long time.

Did your dealer offer to let you borrow the car for an afternoon? If you're anywhere around the SF Bay Area, contact me. I'd be happy to set that up for you. I do this all the time for clients. Take it home, see how it performs on your hills. Make sure it fits in your garage.

Oh, and as pointed out above, this car has hill hold assist. It is great when you're at a stop sign on a hill. No roll-back, the car just moves forward once you start pressing the accelerator.

·
Registered
295 Posts
being able to borrow the car for an afternoon is the best thing to do, what better than to use it in some of the things you would put it through everyday. It beats going for a spin in the area of the dealership and back.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's my take on this. Keep in mind that I sell Infinitis so I'm biased. Other bits of background. I live at the top of a ridiculously steep hill. If it ever snowed here, it would be hilarious. We joke that there are no green runs to my house, only blues and blacks - ski reference. A neighbor has a JX and loves it - no problems. I had a MDX and currently drive a Pilot (getting replaced by a Q50 soon). I've driven JX's/QX60's to my house and it is fine - not as fun as a G37 or Q50, but fine.

I've driven XC90's. They have V8's and are pretty powerful. Reliability is so-so, and the third row is a PITA - but that's a different subject. The QX60 (and most other suv's in this class) don't have a ton of power. They probably aren't going to go uphill as fast as your XC90. A Cayenne, QX70, and maybe the huge Mercedes or Audi will be more fun to drive uphill. IMO the Merc and Audi are less refined and more expensive, but they should have more juice.

I think you'll love the QX60. If you want to hedge your bets, I'd suggest two idea. Either lease the vehicle so you can decide in three years whether to buy it out and keep it, or return it, or get whatever QX60 equivalent we have then. Or buy an extended warranty if you plan to keep it a long time.

Did your dealer offer to let you borrow the car for an afternoon? If you're anywhere around the SF Bay Area, contact me. I'd be happy to set that up for you. I do this all the time for clients. Take it home, see how it performs on your hills. Make sure it fits in your garage.

Oh, and as pointed out above, this car has hill hold assist. It is great when you're at a stop sign on a hill. No roll-back, the car just moves forward once you start pressing the accelerator.

yes, I live in hayward. might have to take up your offer on that afternoon test drive. will PM you my number.... thanks!

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
so what are your thoughts on CVTs burning out because people use the gas to hold them on a hill? @sinsecure
1) They don't know how to drive.

2) They didn't have a salesperson who was good enough to show them all the features of this amazing vehicle. Seriously, so many of the "complaints" online about cars (this and others) are because people had no real introduction to their vehicle and all of its features/capabilities. As vehicles get increasingly powerful in a technological way, the value of a thorough delivery increases.

I'll give you an example. Not too long ago I had a customer come and test drive a QX60. Apparently I must have fallen down on the job, or salespeople just scare them to death. They bought the car through a broker. That meant they picked it up at a dealer somewhere, or more likely, had it delivered to their house and dropped off. No one showed them how the car works. They then had the chutzpah to come in and ask me to show them all the features on their wonderful new car.

I politely explained a couple of things. First, I only get paid when I sell a car. Not for taking them on a test drive, not for helping them select the features that are best for them (one of their questions was why the car they got didn't have all the cool safety features I'd shown them on our original test drive), and second - certainly not for helping someone else's customer figure out how to use the vehicle.** They had no idea they'd actually paid two commissions on their car - one to the broker they bought it from and one to the salesperson at whatever nameless dealership it came from. Somehow they thought they'd gotten a much better deal from the broker than they could have from me (not true).

So, hopefully a few people will read this forum and realize they shouldn't be using the accelerator to keep their JX/QX60 from rolling backward on a hill at a stop sign. For those that don't get it - well, we have a service department that needs to make money too.

Sorry for the rant, but hopefully you can discern between my sarcasm and politely helpful comments.

One point above brings me to Ning's question. Ning, I'll respond to your PM in a second. But what I'm going to say is come see me. You say you want a strippy "base" QX60. There's a reason you can't find any around. We simply don't sell very many of them. I work at the biggest Infiniti dealership in NorCal. I can get you that car if you really want it. But the true strengths of the QX60 over other vehicles are in the great luxury and safety features available. My boss wouldn't want me to tell you this, but if price is the only thing driving your decision making (I doubt that's really the case), then I'd suggest looking at the Pathfinder. It is cheaper for a lot of reasons. One of them is the lack of luxury features (cheaper interiors with less sound insulation and other less-nice stuff). Another is the lack of available electronic safety measures. Come in, let me show you the awesome benefits of the various packages, then decide if you want/can afford $5-10K more than your stated budget. If not, and you still want a base QX60, I'll get you one and make you a great deal on the vehicle.

**Yes, that means I don't get paid for hanging around this forum answering questions either - I do it for two reasons - first, to hopefully entice customers to come see me over another dealer/rep by demonstrating my unparalleled product knowledge and customer ethos :D and second, because I actually learn things here from customers and that helps me do my job better.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah, I am a bargain hunter... the base JX/QX60 has all the features I really need. I am just looking for a 7 seater (a real 7 seater, not 5 seater plus 2 kiddie seats) that's comfortable with some luxurious feel...

all the bells and whistles are nice, but they will put the car way out of my budget...

so far the only base qx60 i found is in socal.... while there are 2 base JXs in california....

1) One point above brings me to Ning's question. Ning, I'll respond to your PM in a second. But what I'm going to say is come see me. You say you want a strippy "base" QX60. There's a reason you can't find any around. We simply don't sell very many of them. I work at the biggest Infiniti dealership in NorCal. I can get you that car if you really want it. But the true strengths of the QX60 over other vehicles are in the great luxury and safety features available. My boss wouldn't want me to tell you this, but if price is the only thing driving your decision making (I doubt that's really the case), then I'd suggest looking at the Pathfinder. It is cheaper for a lot of reasons. One of them is the lack of luxury features (cheaper interiors with less sound insulation and other less-nice stuff). Another is the lack of available electronic safety measures. Come in, let me show you the awesome benefits of the various packages, then decide if you want/can afford $5-10K more than your stated budget. If not, and you still want a base QX60, I'll get you one and make you a great deal on the vehicle.

**Yes, that means I don't get paid for hanging around this forum answering questions either - I do it for two reasons - first, to hopefully entice customers to come see me over another dealer/rep by demonstrating my unparalleled product knowledge and customer ethos :D and second, because I actually learn things here from customers and that helps me do my job better.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
I would have really regretted not having the fully loaded JX now that I'm close to 20,000 miles. I could probably do without the DVD entertainment system.

·
Registered
210 Posts
=

I think its great that you are on this forum

It seperates you from 99% of sales people out there that really dont care about their job outside of work.

You are more of an enthusiast this way. And I think people can appreciate that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts