Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2014 gas AWD QX60. We want to buy a camper. We live about 45 minutes East of the Continental Divide in CO. Therefore, 90+% of my towing will involve at least driving the high grade road up and down the Eisenhower Tunnel, but probably also over a mountain pass.

Does anyone have experience towing with their QX60 in these conditions?

I've compiled all the relevant GVWR, GCVWR, Payload, UVW, hitch weight, etc. info. We are looking at a camper with a dry weight of 3879 lbs. and a hitch weight of 430 lbs. Even accounting for the added weight of people, the receiver and recommended anti-sway hitch, a full tank of gas, and 500 lbs of gear, we are well below the approved numbers. 700+ lbs below the towing capacity, 250+ lbs. below the GVWR, and 475+ lbs. below the GCVWR. The camper also has electric brakes and we will obviously have an electric brake controller.

All that said, we have visited some camper forums and we've received a lot of feedback saying that for mountain towing: (1) don't go within 1200-1500 of the towing capacity, (2) don't tow a camper with anything less than a V8, and (3) don't tow with anything less than an F350. I include that last point from one person to provide the basis for my scepticism of these comments.

So with that overload of information, would you be concerned? Or is the car going to be able to effectively tow in these conditions since I'm below all the levels.

All your thoughts are appreciated. We're trying to figure out if we need a different vehicle. We're also considering a lighter camper, but we can really only go another 500-750 lbs. lighter and still get something that meets our needs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
A few concerns if you’re doing this often. This is really a family hauler and not a tow vehicle.

1. Not enough power for elevation changes especially combined with high altitude power loss
2. Torque and power is at a very high RPM with the 3.5 v6
3. Durability of CVT with so much stress on it

You don’t need a V8 (ecoboost v6 is an example of that) but a body on frame vehicle or something a little more robust will be much better.

Durango with the V8, Tahoe, Expedition, or a F150 ecoboost or Silverado are all good choices. The armada or qx80 are also much better suited for towing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have towed camper and load with those same specs mostly on flat land with few good size hills. I never haul water, always fill it at campsite. Car performance is great. I’d like to try going to Colorado or Smokey mtns, I just know it’ll be a slow trip so not to overtax the car. Let me know how it works out for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What year and model camper are you hauling? We are looking at a [email protected] 400 at 3000/400 dry/tongue weights and are curious to know if that's going to feel like too much behind our 2020 QX60.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a 2017 QX60 that will be towing a [email protected] 320. I was towing it no problem with my previous vehicle, a 2013 Ridgeline. The ridgeline has the same towing capacity as a QX60. I also towed a [email protected] 400 with the ridgeline with no issues. I was able to cruise at 65 at about 5000 feet above sea level.

I'm still waiting for my tow hitch for the QX60, so I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Finally got my CURT tow hitch installed last week. Took my first trip towing my little [email protected] 320. My 2017 QX60 did awesome. I was able to cruise at 70 on the highway with no problem. Got around 12mpg average for the trip. This is at 5000-6000 feet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts