Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow QX60 owners

I hearing light clicking noise when turning left and right. I have already replaced the front CV axle on passenger side and the clicking noise is still there.

Could this be coming from the differential?

Also I just moved to Austin area. Any recommendations for a mechanic or should I go to the dealer for repairs?

I also travel to Dallas often so any recommendations there for a shop or dealer will be fine as well.

Appreciate your input.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If yours is AWD, check the rear electronic coupling for the rear axle. Also, some aftermarket CV axles are not as good as the OEM...even if the part is new, it might be bad.
Thank you Mtech. I did replace the CV axle with an OEM part. Thanks for the suggestion about the rear coupling. I am hearing the clicking sound from the engine bay area.

· Registered
75 Posts
Have the level and condition of the front differential oil / transfer case oil inspected. Pretty inexpensive to have this changed. Also look to see if there is any contact with brake backing plates on the front brakes from the rotors. I've seen this backing plate issue happen, and only make a noise on turns.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Mtech

The car was serviced and I also got both differentials serviced as well at the San Antonio dealership. I hear the clicking noise without much change after the service. I will check the brakes this week.

· Registered
11 Posts
All wheel drive QX60's only-

Any noise you feel or hear from the undercarriage while turning at low (40mph and under) speed is indicative of a bad Rear Differential Coupler (RDC). $2,700 dealer repair or <$500 DIY.

Easy diagnosis: crawl under rear of vehicle just past passenger door. You'll see RDC bolted onto the end of the diff. They're usually cast silver and have a black 'pizza stand' plate bolted directly to the drive line (4 bolts to driveline, 6 bolts for the other end of RDC to diff).

You will see a typical gray plastic plug (female/male) attached via a plastic push clip. Unclip plug and test drive. If sound/feeling disappears you just diagnosed it for free. New RDC part runs $1500 at your dealer, $1K Infiniti dealer online sales via Ebay search or $300-500 ebay used. Several well made install videos on YouTube (search QX60 rear coupler). Takes about 30min-1 hr.

Note: unplugging does not hurt the car. Just turns it into 2WD front.
Also, It's plug and play. No coding during install needed by dealer.

Technical Service Bulletin:
Classification: RA12-003f
Reference: ITB12-072f
Date: September 23, 2020

2013 JX35, 2014-2019 QX60, 2014-2019 QX60 HYBRID;
VIBRATION AND/OR NOISE WHEN MAKING LOW SPEED TURNS

· Registered
1 Posts
All wheel drive QX60's only- Any noise you feel or hear from the undercarriage while turning at low (40mph and under) speed is indicative of a bad Rear Differential Coupler (RDC). $2,700 dealer repair or male) attached via a plastic push clip. Unclip plug and test drive. If sound/feeling disappears you just diagnosed it for free. New RDC part runs $1500 at your dealer, $1K Infiniti dealer online sales via Ebay search or $300-500 ebay used. Several well made install videos on YouTube (search QX60 rear coupler). Takes about 30min-1 hr. Note: unplugging does not hurt the car. Just turns it into 2WD front. Also, It's plug and play. No coding during install needed by dealer. Technical Service Bulletin: Classification: RA12-003f Reference: ITB12-072f Date: September 23, 2020 2013 JX35, 2014-2019 QX60, 2014-2019 QX60 HYBRID; VIBRATION AND/OR NOISE WHEN MAKING LOW SPEED TURNS
Realizethis is an old post but if anyone can help, i am wondering just how long you can drive the vehicle with this unplugged.

· Registered
11 Posts
I was told by dealer that it does not "harm" the car. So, to answer your question, probably forever. If you watch youTube mechanics, they basically say the same thing. But they suggest why keep it unplugged (and lug around a perfectly good AWD) when you can fix it cheap.

One thing I eventually did was just buy a whole used rear differential and just took the coupler off. It cost $340 whole and I ended up reselling the "incomplete" diff for $100. So total repair was $240. Way cheaper than just getting the coupler for some reason.

I just did mine so would like to hear from others who just left it unplugged.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts