Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally changed my own coolant, and I have to say it was about 10x easier than changing my oil. It's super simple and takes about 20 min (mostly waiting for the coolant to drip out).

For reference, this cost about $30 vs $200 for the dealership.

Here are the steps:
Buy 2 gallons of pre-diluted mixture of 50% Genuine NISSAN Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant (blue) - Comes already mixed so don't dilute.
Technically the entire system is 2.5 gallons, but this process removes about 1.75 gallons.

Drain Coolant:
1. Start engine, set temperature 90 degrees. Wait 10 seconds and turn ignition switch OFF.
2. Unscrew (Philips) the radiator drain plug at the bottom of the radiator - it's under the bumper, between the center and passenger front tire. Stick head under bumper, just after the air dam and you'll see a metal Philips screw head. Coolant will drain quickly so get catch bucket ready.
3. Remove radiator cap (remove plastic cover, super easy, then unscrew cap), let drain

Refilling the coolant:
1. Re-install radiator drain plug.
2. Fill radiator with coolant (the radiator took about 1.75 gallons of coolant)
4. Install radiator cap and protector plastic cover
5. Fill reservoir slightly above "MAX" line (left side of engine near the wiper fluid)
6. Start engine, let idle for 1 or 2 minutes
7. Check reservoir level and add (if necessary - Mine didn't need any fluid))
8. Reinstall reservoir cap

·
Registered
8 Posts
I finally changed my own coolant, and I have to say it was about 10x easier than changing my oil. It's super simple and takes about 20 min (mostly waiting for the coolant to drip out).

For reference, this cost about $30 vs $200 for the dealership.

Here are the steps:
Buy 2 gallons of pre-diluted mixture of 50% Genuine NISSAN Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant (blue) - Comes already mixed so don't dilute.
Technically the entire system is 2.5 gallons, but this process removes about 1.75 gallons.

Drain Coolant:
1. Start engine, set temperature 90 degrees. Wait 10 seconds and turn ignition switch OFF.
2. Unscrew (Philips) the radiator drain plug at the bottom of the radiator - it's under the bumper, between the center and passenger front tire. Stick head under bumper, just after the air dam and you'll see a metal Philips screw head. Coolant will drain quickly so get catch bucket ready.
3. Remove radiator cap (remove plastic cover, super easy, then unscrew cap), let drain

Refilling the coolant:
1. Re-install radiator drain plug.
2. Fill radiator with coolant (the radiator took about 1.75 gallons of coolant)
4. Install radiator cap and protector plastic cover
5. Fill reservoir slightly above "MAX" line (left side of engine near the wiper fluid)
6. Start engine, let idle for 1 or 2 minutes
7. Check reservoir level and add (if necessary - Mine didn't need any fluid))
8. Reinstall reservoir cap
Thanks for sharing. This would be the same for JX35 I suppose? No need to bleed the system?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts