Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came home the other night at 6 pm - 3 adults in the car. Parked in the garage and was in and out of the garage a few times until 10. Came back out the next morning and opened the garage door and it was like stepping into an oven with strong smell of plastic or something burning.

Got to my 2015 QX60 and it was almost too hot to touch. Got a door open and the inside was even worse. I opened up the garage and let everything get some air for a couple of hours.

Came back later - battery was dead so I got a replacement. When I took the old battery out it was still too hot to touch on the sides (many hours after it should have been running). With a new battery the car cranked and was basically out of gas.

So...the dealer thinks that we left it running in the garage and everything that happened after is perfectly normal and to be expected.

I don’t see any way possible that we left it running and didn’t notice in the next 4-5 hours and several trips to the garage. But it was out of gas so it had to run at some point during the night. So if I accept that premise for now - where did all that heat come from? Surely there’s a safety mechanism with the battery to turn itself off in this situation. We’ve tested this with the ignition in ACC and it turns itself off after sitting for a few minutes. Maybe some sort of battery malfunction? And I have no idea how it was running...

Something just doesn’t seem right with this and I’m not satisfied with the explanation I’ve gotten so far. Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
398 Posts
??? Do you have the Hybrid or the V6? I could see that happening on the Hybrid...it will cycle the engine on and off while on. The V-6 will not turn off, so you should have heard it. If that’s what actually happened—time to get your hearing checked—that would be your sign.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - it’s the V6. And that’s what I’m really struggling with - it wasn’t just me that somehow didn’t notice the car running...there are 4 of us here. Still scratching my head.

·
Registered
398 Posts
You car doesn’t have auto start/stop — Where the car will shut the engine off at a stoplight and then start it when you take your foot off the brake. That is not an option on the QX60 V6, right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You car doesn’t have auto start/stop — Where the car will shut the engine off at a stoplight and then start it when you take your foot off the brake. That is not an option on the QX60 V6, right?
No - doesn’t have that.

·
Registered
588 Posts
... out of gas...

That's my guess, you did leave it running. I agree, someone should have heard something.

You should get your fan radiator checked, it shouldn't have overheated like that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts