Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

Best Oil Viscosity for a new 2022 QX60 Sensory

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  yeller 
#1 ·
I plan on changing the factory oil at 1000 or 1200 miles after the initial break-in period. I have always preferred a 5W30 synthetic oil over a 0W20 because I believe it protects the engine better especially in the hot weather! Since the vehicle came from the factory with 0W20, will there be any problems or issues if I switch over to a 5W30 full synthetic? I live in Tennessee where the summers can get pretty hot and the winters are not terribly cold. I am a loyal Amsoil oil user!

#2 ·
Oh man, you opened a huge can of worms. Oil is a religion to some people.

My non-educated opinion is to stick with manufacturer-engineer recommendations since they designed the engine and it’s what the dealership uses, just in case you need warranty work. They may push back if your records show a different viscosity.

My 2013 has 150K miles and has been using 5w30 conventional, changed every 3.5k. It’s been through Texas worst (115 degrees) and Colorado snow storms without issues.

#4 ·
I appreciate your response and understand your concerns regarding my New Car Warranty! But just for a moment, lets set the warranty issues aside!! Assuming my ONLY concern here is to protect the engine the best way possible, do you think 5W30 synthetic would offer a superior level of protection in the VQ35DD engine especially in the hot summer months without experiencing any mechanical issues? I think we are all aware by now that the only reason vehicle manufacturers are recommending the use of lighter weight oils is strictly due to the gas mileage requirements and has nothing to do AT ALL with engine protection, right?? If there are no design changes in the newer VQ35DD engine that would prohibit the use of a 5W30 oil as compared to the previous VQ35DE engine which used 5W30 oil, it would make sense to continue to use 5W30 synthetic in the newer VQ35DD engine! Just one man's common-sense opinion!!

#7 ·
… I think we are all aware by now that the only reason vehicle manufacturers are recommending the use of lighter weight oils is strictly due to the gas mileage requirements and has nothing to do AT ALL with engine protection, right??
I wondered the same thing, why did Nissan change oil requirements mid way through last gen?!?! My only guess is this coincides with the move to direct injection, but this is uneducated. MPG improvements is interesting, I also figured dealers get to charge more for synthetic.

My local Nissan dealership only carries synthetic, which is strange since many Nissans/Infinities on the road only require conventional.

#5 ·

#6 ·

When we have smaller spaces, we need thinner oil to fit through those smaller spaces. Suppose you put a thicker oil in a modern engine. One of the things that’s going to do is increase oil pressure. Variable valve timing works off oil pressure so you might wind up with a check engine light and a code for the variable valve timing, which could lead to some expensive repairs.

#10 ·
If you ask 5 people about what oil viscosity to use, you'll get 6 answers, lol.

I use what the manual recommends, always use synthetic, and I tend to stick with Castor Edge or Mobil 1 extended performance. I'm sure the other major brands are just fine as well, those are just my preference.

This car will let you know how frequently to change the oil based on driving conditions (I drive in heavy urban stop and go traffic and it had me do my first oil change at approx. 7300 miles, 6.5 months, instead of 10k miles / 1 year). I've always used the standard synthetic that is supposed to be good for 10k miles, but recently spent the extra $ to get to the 20k mile versions. Will let you know if that seems to extend the change interval times.

#11 ·
For reference, here are the scenarios and fluids recommended by Infiniti
Oil: 0W-20
Frequency: 10k (based on Extreme conditions)

It's dangerious to drive for 10k miles without checking oil levels frequenly. For example, it's not considered excessive if your motor burns 1qt of oil every 1.5k miles. Your engine will burn out if you wait 10k to check/change your oil. Also, Infiniti will void your warranty.

Font Material property Parallel Number Document

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Circle

Font Material property Pattern Parallel Rectangle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.