Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I found out that when backing up, BCI doesn't work with parked cars. Foolishly, I was backing up from my driveway and hit the vehicle parked across the street at 45 degree angle to the right. I was in a rush to get to our local bank before it closed at 1 pm. Got into my QX60, looked to the right and left for pedestrians (yes even a suburban area, you can be amazed that all of sudden someone is walking avross your path), and for cars, put into Reverse, backed out of the driveway and looked at the rearview monitor, BUT it did not pick up the parked Toyota Pickup at the curb to the right, and Bang, I scraped my passenger side rear bumper at the front driver's side bumper of the Truck. Not a lot of damage, but my rear bumper is scraped up and the rear quarter panel got scratched. The bumper can't be repaired (IMO), so that's a fast $1000 or more to replace. The Toyota's front bumper is damaged - probably likewise costs. No one saw this happen, but I'm an Honest *****', so after my errand I went to my neighbor (yes my neighbor's car), and reported what a stupid thing I did. SOB !!!!!!!! I'm driving 45 years, never did this before. SOB !!!!! I offered to pay the costs directly, no Insurance Claims please.

There are 2 Morals to the story: 1. Never Rush - Be careful when getting behind the Wheel; 2. Don't rely (although I didn't ) on the "safety" features of the car. BCI works for moving objects crossing your plane in the rear, BUT not for Stationery objects - like parked cars. I will say, the back up sensors did "scream" out , but not early enough. Too late. I was not speeding in reverse, just not careful enough. I should have checked my immediate surroundings as i entered the car and would probably have noted the position of the car parked across the street. Again: SOB !!!!!

·
Registered
663 Posts
That's strange, it's supposed to stop. I back into my work parking spot and the BCI slaps the brakes on if I'm going to fast or get too close to the wall. It also infrequently happens when backing out of my single-width garage.

I wonder if the angle threw off the sensors.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sorry to hear that I have had similar incident years ago with my Pathfinder. I was in rush to leave for work. Car was parked on street with other cars, as I was pulling out it was really close but I thought I would make it, sure enough I scrapped my front right corner of the bumper with the car in front without any damage to the parked car but my car got a scar to remind me everyday. You live you learn

As for BCI, it is a bit strange. Here is my experience, if you have your foot on brake the BCI is not going to intervene. I have a narrow driveway when backing up in to my straight and narrow driveway all sensors start to chime and blink on screen when my car comes next to the house, and sometimes it completely stops even when there is nothing behind. However there were times I m backing up with my wife's car parked behind and it just makes sound no attempt to stop it but since my wife's car is there already I am usually rolling backwards with foot on brake hence it doesn't apply brakes.

Do you remember if you had your foot on brake?

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
BCI works just fine with stationary objects. I'm not sure what happened in your case, but I back up to a concrete pole every day and its never failed to stop me. Same in every Infiniti I've driven with BCI (that's a lot of cars).

·
Registered
8 Posts
That is horrible. But thanks for the warning.

It seems like everyone has a mix of experiences with this issue.

If every car has the same software installed, it should probably be an issue with some form of hardware, right?

Maybe it is something you can have looked at. But that is only if you really care.

Can you get the dealership to cover the damage because the car did not work as advertised?

Now that it hasn't worked, probably getting it fixed would not be enough to give you any peace of mind.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think BCI relies on the radar and the cases described here is where ultrasonic prking sensors shall work. Radar may not see non-metal and ignore stationery objects. It is just from the theory. I have no idea what they do in the software to combine sensors data.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Coop64, I did have my foot on the brake. As I turned the wheel - cutting it to the right, the truck was parked at the curb - not directly behind my car. So when I turned the wheel, while backing up, the sensors sounded BUT it was too late. I did need to add one more aspect to this. Directly across from driveway, my neighbor has two cars parked in his driveway. When I back up, the back up sensors will beep as I pull out crossing the two way street, but that happens all the time. As I cut the wheel to turn, I had my foot on the brake, as I approached the parked truck off to the side, the beepers and the dashboard monitor flashed, but too late. I did look over my left & right shoulder as I backed up (I usually don't rely solely on the back up camera), the truck parked on the left was in a eyesight Blindspot.

I was able to clean off 80% of the scrapes from the bumper with Bug and Tar remover, but there is a deep scrape into the bumper - not dented though, and two small scratches in the quarter panel which might be able to be rubbed out.... Oh well..... SOB !!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sinecure, when you were backing up into the pole, did you have your foot on the brake? I did when I was backing up. So at Coop64 mentioned, the BCI system did not need to apply the brakes. Seems it was the Perfect Storm. I broke the rules: Rushed w/o being more careful; and because my neck issues I didn't turn to look well enough.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts