Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2023 QX60 AWD Autograph, White with Saddle Brown interior
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone with experience towing please share what settings they change on the vehicle when towing, and indicate which of these can just be changed once for the trip vs which need to be revised each time the vehicle is restarted? I just purchased an enclosed, 8.5 feet x 16 feet trailer that will only weigh about 2,500 pounds fully loaded. I have not done much more than take it around the block so far so am trying to get some solid advice before taking our first trip next month.

I hadn't thought through how some of the emergency braking features would react with a trailer. When I tried to back up with the trailer attached the brakes were applied abruptly. Surprisingly, it wasn't immediately but after backing up 4 - 5 feet and then it was a full, slam, jarring stop. With all the safety features, it wasn't clear to me which had to be turned off, which could be left on and which would revert back to default settings every time the car was turned off. I thought everything had been deactivated, then was making a small move with the trailer and again the brakes slammed on unexpectedly.

Below are the settings I found that I think might get falsely triggered when towing a trailer. Are these the only ones to worry about? Can any of these actually be left on with a trailer? Are my assumptions below correct in that only the Emergency Assist setting goes back to "on" automatically when the vehicle is restarted?

Settings
  • Emergency Assist - Turn off "Rear" - each time vehicle is restarted
  • Parking Aids - Turn off "Rear Sonar" - at start of trip; restore after trip is completed
  • Rear Cross Traffic Alert - Turn Off - at start of trip; restore after trip is completed
Finally, is Drive Mode of "Standard" recommended or would "Sport" mode be better to promote higher RPMs before gears shift? I'm thinking "Standard" is likely fine for a load of 2,500 pounds, but "Sport" might be warranted in mountain driving or if I was pulling a trailer closer to the 6,000 pound tow capacity?

Thank you in advance for the assistance / advice!

· Registered
1 Posts
Can anyone with experience towing please share what settings they change on the vehicle when towing, and indicate which of these can just be changed once for the trip vs which need to be revised each time the vehicle is restarted? I just purchased an enclosed, 8.5 feet x 16 feet trailer that will only weigh about 2,500 pounds fully loaded. I have not done much more than take it around the block so far so am trying to get some solid advice before taking our first trip next month.

I hadn't thought through how some of the emergency braking features would react with a trailer. When I tried to back up with the trailer attached the brakes were applied abruptly. Surprisingly, it wasn't immediately but after backing up 4 - 5 feet and then it was a full, slam, jarring stop. With all the safety features, it wasn't clear to me which had to be turned off, which could be left on and which would revert back to default settings every time the car was turned off. I thought everything had been deactivated, then was making a small move with the trailer and again the brakes slammed on unexpectedly.

Below are the settings I found that I think might get falsely triggered when towing a trailer. Are these the only ones to worry about? Can any of these actually be left on with a trailer? Are my assumptions below correct in that only the Emergency Assist setting goes back to "on" automatically when the vehicle is restarted?

Settings
  • Emergency Assist - Turn off "Rear" - each time vehicle is restarted
  • Parking Aids - Turn off "Rear Sonar" - at start of trip; restore after trip is completed
  • Rear Cross Traffic Alert - Turn Off - at start of trip; restore after trip is completed
Finally, is Drive Mode of "Standard" recommended or would "Sport" mode be better to promote higher RPMs before gears shift? I'm thinking "Standard" is likely fine for a load of 2,500 pounds, but "Sport" might be warranted in mountain driving or if I was pulling a trailer closer to the 6,000 pound tow capacity?

Thank you in advance for the assistance / advice!
What brake controller are you using?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts