Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw great reviews on the net about Autosock (to be used in lieu of tire chains) so went ahead and bought a pair (AS698) for my 20" rims.

Does anyone here have personal experience with those on your QX60?

I still have my all-seasons (the OEM tires) on and hope to be plowing thru some snow (Stevens Pass on US-2) later this month. I do hope the autosock lives up to the hype...

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Don't bring them to CA. I'm pretty sure they don't count as chains in the eyes of Caltrans.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
If you use them, please post an update. I looked into these when the JX came out, but at that time there wasn't a size that fit the 20" tire. I do have a set of tire chains that fit but will only use them in an extreme situation. I know you are required to carry chains here if traveling the passes. Especially I-90 since that highway has been a real challenge this season.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you use them, please post an update. I looked into these when the JX came out, but at that time there wasn't a size that fit the 20" tire. I do have a set of tire chains that fit but will only use them in an extreme situation. I know you are required to carry chains here if traveling the passes. Especially I-90 since that highway has been a real challenge this season.
Hi BobOB, WA state does approve autosock as a traction device in lieu of tire chains per Traction Devices - Washington State Patrol.

And no Sinecure - I dont plan on driving on snow in CA :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Back from the trip now - I didnt have to pull the autosock out of its packing at all. The QX60 handled the snow like a champ, very confidently and surefootedly. Not once when accelerating or when braking did the car feel unsure or did any of the traction control warnings come up. I was very pleasantly surprised! :) :)

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Did you use the Snow Mode? I used it in Rapid City two years ago and found it was helpful not allowing me to over accelerate.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you use the Snow Mode? I used it in Rapid City two years ago and found it was helpful not allowing me to over accelerate.
Yes, I used it but only sparingly. I have a pretty light foot when it comes to acceleration (this is even with my heavy snow boots on) so I didnt really have a problem with over/sudden acceleration. But I did find snow mode useful for a short while when I had it engaged.

However I used MANUAL SHIFTING a lot more though on the slopes. Works very well and i enjoyed having control over the transmission... :)

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
I agree that the manual shifting has significant control over the transmission. I'd love to try out my new tires also with snow mode and manual shifting to see how it compares to my previous tires.

·
Registered
17 Posts
anyone can confirm that these arent considered as chain substitutes in california or nevada? i also was looking to get a set AS698(for my 265/45/21 tires) but it appears there is a shortage of this particular model.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts