Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone joined the 200k mile / 320k km club?

I'm curious to hear if anyone makes it given Infiniti's widely known transmission reliability issues.

BTW, I'm currently at 145k miles?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey Yeller sometimes I find that the true high mile guys don’t populate the forums, my QX has been relatively trouble free when compared to other like type cars I’ve owned. Reading forums started as a necessity when I had old British sports cars, and youngish Mercedes sports cars. Finding parts or maintenance tips was very helpful. Now forums usually involve 70% question and answer, 30% outright product bitching. And most of the ?’s could be answered in the owners manual.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Call me crazy, but I was planning to keep it for 250k miles. My previous vehicle was a Jeep that needed major repairs almost yearly so I specifically bought a Japanese brand to get something reliable. Unfortunately a few things have pushed me to consider a new vehicle sooner than expected.
  • CVT Tranny Doesn't Last. While I have had no issues with my ‘13, others have posted their ‘13 model year tranny died around 200k. Replacement cost $4k.
  • I’ve been recently dealing with a cataleptic converter check engine light. Dealer-installed cat is $4k. I’m sure an independent shop can do it for less with an aftermarket cat, it just feels like I'm playing a waiting game (will the aftermarket cat last a year, 5 years, how much do I spend to get a good aftermarket cat, etc…). Fortunately my Cat check engine light went away, but it might come back anytime.
  • COVID. I used to drive ~20k miles a year and was originally planning to hit the magical 200k miles by now. But for the last couple of years my commute has been significantly reduced to school drop-off/pick-up and once-a-year road trips.
  • No inventory. I've also considered replacing my JX35 with new 2022 QX60 but shortages are crazy. In addition my local dealership has gone back to treating everyone like peasants, dangling inventory like food scraps to hungry mobs. I really don’t want to do the song and dance to get on their 22’ waiting list.
I’m sure there are a few 200k club members out there… just need to find them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We have an '18 FWD with 59K on the odo. Hoping to get many years out of this vehicle. Yesterday in the mail I did get a notice about a class action settlement related to the Nissan CVT transmissions. The settlement seems to extend the warranty on the CVT trans for two years. Did anyone else get this notice?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Call me crazy, but I was planning to keep it for 250k miles. My previous vehicle was a Jeep that needed major repairs almost yearly so I specifically bought a Japanese brand to get something reliable. Unfortunately a few things have pushed me to consider a new vehicle sooner than expected.
  • CVT Tranny Doesn't Last. While I have had no issues with my ‘13, others have posted their ‘13 model year tranny died around 200k. Replacement cost $4k.
  • I’ve been recently dealing with a cataleptic converter check engine light. Dealer-installed cat is $4k. I’m sure an independent shop can do it for less with an aftermarket cat, it just feels like I'm playing a waiting game (will the aftermarket cat last a year, 5 years, how much do I spend to get a good aftermarket cat, etc…). Fortunately my Cat check engine light went away, but it might come back anytime.
  • COVID. I used to drive ~20k miles a year and was originally planning to hit the magical 200k miles by now. But for the last couple of years my commute has been significantly reduced to school drop-off/pick-up and once-a-year road trips.
  • No inventory. I've also considered replacing my JX35 with new 2022 QX60 but shortages are crazy. In addition my local dealership has gone back to treating everyone like peasants, dangling inventory like food scraps to hungry mobs. I really don’t want to do the song and dance to get on their 22’ waiting list.
I’m sure there are a few 200k club members out there… just need to find them.
There are a few quarter million mile QX60s on Autotrader for $10,000 and even beyond. Several more 200,000 mile ones and dozens of 150,000 to 200,000 mile ones. They are out there, but obviously traded or sold for good reason. I wonder the true cost of ownership on a 250,000 mile QX60....

·
Registered
75 Posts
We have an '18 FWD with 59K on the odo. Hoping to get many years out of this vehicle. Yesterday in the mail I did get a notice about a class action settlement related to the Nissan CVT transmissions. The settlement seems to extend the warranty on the CVT trans for two years. Did anyone else get this notice?
I got a similar letter a few years back with it noting a Transmission Warranty extension to 100,000 miles. I don't remember a time frame, but I'm sure that stipulation is probably there.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I browsed new car ads the other day to see if any ‘22 qx60’s had made it to market, I found quite a few. However here in the Northeast I found the least markup over sticker was $2500 with one dealer as high as $12k, I’m sure that will stimulate both sales and complaints.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just going to spitball here, Hey Yeller if you have a ‘13 with 145k I would think that is pretty good. My personal experience with this car says as of now it owes me nothing, it’s paid for but not used up. It shows no signs of self implosion, and continues to operate as expected, which is what I expect. Granted there were changes to the cvt as time progressed but I don’t see behavior that makes me say better save my $ for replacement, likewise the Cat. I’ve never replaced one ever. Chronologically here are some of my last few rides

2015 Acura MDX dumped at 40k, niggling issues owned for 4-months drove a loaner for 1 month during that time (purchased with 30k on it)
2013-Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0lt turbo 4 years 165k miles, the motor blew and HyUSA replaced it for free with 163k on it
2011VW Jetta TDI wagon 85k traded for the above before the diesel debacle
2002 & 2007 Volvo V70 XC 310k combined, solid Swedes traded the last one for the diesel experiment
The MDX had issues some manufacturer related and a lot a bad dealer.
The Hyundai was quite good and I would have kept it but my wife wasn’t so trusting, bought the QX because of her experience with a G25x

I know we pays our money and takes our chances, but this car has been solid and shows me nothing to doubt it’s ability to soldier on. My desire for something newer and shinier will be it’s undoing, and based on seat time I would like to get another of these. (INfiniti) time will tell

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kbdixon, good points. We bought our ‘13 in early 2012, paid sticker and waited until July 2012 to pick it up. Since it was new/ordered, we paid sticker with a few things thrown in. We also considered the MDX, used GL (now called GLS), Jeep GC, and a used Range Rover. Obviously passed for the higher reliable Japanese Infiniti, however I’m not sure the market has changed much in the past 9 years other than KIA’s entry. Same MDX control weirdness, GLS/RR/Jeep reliability issues, etc….

Last night I priced a new fully loaded QX60 at $65k (most boxes checked, ~$10k more than we bought the ‘13), but dealer markups are a no-go. Seems too sneaky and dealers are making good money at MSRP.

At this point our JX35 has no dash lights, tires are good for another 50k, recently replaced brakes and it’s still a smooth rider.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Is your QX60 awd or fwd? I have a fwd model and it eats tires every 40,000 miles. I have my tires done at Infiniti, rotated regularly and only drive in eco or regular mode. My last set was actually covered under warranty by Michelin because they were 60,000 mile tires done at 38,000.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts